View Full Version : Stronger Detonator... - Archive File

megalomania
May 18th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Foxtrot83
Frequent Poster
posted 03-06-2001 02:33 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is just a dream...
Reading that New and Improved C4 file by Ragner Benson got me dreaming about something i used to do a long time ago, I'm sure most of us did this at one point. Rolling up AP or some other primary explosive in aluminum foil and putting it on the stove. The power of that little ball was incredible, I remember doing that once with less than a half a gram of AP and putting it in a steel dutch pot w/ the lid on. After heating on the stove for about 2 mins. the thing went off with an incredible boom scaring the shit out of me. When i examined what happened the pilot blew out and there was a hole 6x the size of the ball in the bottom of pot. There was a dent about 4 inches deep in the crest of the stove and the top of the pot vapourized. I mean literally i couldn't find the top of that steel pot for shit and then it hit me what happened. When i looked up above the stove there was a hole about 16 inches long by 3 inches wide in the ceiling. I looked up there for the pot cover and it wasn't there, looks like i created sometype of Platter charge without knowing it (at the time anyway, i was around 13). My mom got scared and called the cops on me, showed them the pot and the ceiling. They asked me what i made, and i told them some bullshit story about matchheads, beeswax, sugar and some other junk. Dumbass cops believed me wrote something down and said not to do it again. If they only knew, but anyway back to the original reason i decided to write this post. What i thought about was if i could harness the power of those tight balls and incorporate them into a detonator. Here's the detonator i'm thinking about, roll up a ball of aluminum foil with say one gram of AP (make it a tight ball by squeezing it real hard, it shouldn't go off cause i've done that several times in the past). Now that you have the ball get your aluminum tubing or pipe (make sure the ball is small enough to fit in it), pour in a small amount of a mixture that burns hot (ex. kno3 and sugar, chlorate mix, etc...), then put in the ball and then cover the ball with more mixture.

Heres a simple diagram:

-- []
-- []
///[]///
//***//
//***//
//*O*//
//***//
//***//
////////

[] - fuse
/ - tubing
* - mixture that burns hot
O - aluminum foil ball with primary

The rest of the idea should be easily figured out. If the container is small enough and the ball tight enough you should get an incredibly powerful detonator.

Let me know if you think this dream would work...

------------------
~Semper Fi~
Foxtrot83

[This message has been edited by Foxtrot83 (edited March 06, 2001).]

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 03-06-2001 02:41 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nah, it won't make it any more powerful.
Actuall, it might a little bit. Normally, when you light AP or HMTD etc. with a flame, some of it is used to make the transition from deflagration to detonation, which wastes some of it. This way, none of it is used that way, and it all detonates.
But I don't really think it'll be significantly better. It might make a nice fire-bomb though...

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 03-06-2001 04:09 PM
You could use this detonator, for FAE's, since the burning chlorate/sugar mixture would be thrown out by the blast, igniting the petrol.

Foxtrot83
Frequent Poster
posted 03-06-2001 04:20 PM
Actually Mr. Cool, it would be more powerful because the AP would be more confined or should i say pressed. Most people don't have the tools to press AP that much into a cartridge, and a dowel can only do so much pressing. Doing it this way you can press as much AP as you want (even though i wouldn't use more than 2 grams, after seeing what a half a gram can do) and you don't have to worry about it going off on you. It'd be equally powerful to a cap using more AP, saving you AP and the trouble of making bigger caps.

------------------
~Semper Fi~
Foxtrot83

[This message has been edited by Foxtrot83 (edited March 06, 2001).]

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 03-06-2001 07:39 PM
They are more powerfull because the Peroxide melts before it detonates and becomes even more dense then when packed.
------------------
technology is a wonderful servant, but a bitch of a master.

Explosives Archive

Microtek
Frequent Poster
posted 03-07-2001 06:57 AM
You can quite easily make a press to load your caps. I really don't feel like writing the entire explanation, but if I say that it involves a lever with a hinge at the end and a dowel near the hinge, and that its principle is very simple then I'm sure you will be able to figure it out.
It will also be much safer; that thing with squeezing the foil balls full of AP seems quite hazardous to me.

outsider
Frequent Poster
posted 03-07-2001 07:20 AM
It won't be more powerful. The AP won't melt: the mixture produces too much heat, too fast. AP detonates when sudden increases of heat occur: when you try to heat it too fast, even when you heat it to 100 degrees.
And why should molten AP be more powerful? Because of the higher density? I don't think it makes that much difference.

Foxtrot83
Frequent Poster
posted 03-07-2001 08:16 AM
Microtek you and I and several others here know how to make a press, but to the newbie that would seem like something hard to do and it kinda is. Also squeezing the balls isn't as hazardous as you think, I've done it numerous times and i still got both my hands it just takes alittle common sense.
And Outsider you sound confused. You said, "the mixture produces too much heat, too fast. AP detonates when sudden increases of heat occur." Your contradicting yourself by saying AP detonates with an increase of heat but you say it wont work because the mixture produces too much heat. Think about it.

------------------
~Semper Fi~
Foxtrot83

outsider
Frequent Poster
posted 03-07-2001 01:28 PM
No, I'm not contradicting myself. The mixture produces too much heat,too fast for the AP to melt and then detonate. It detonates right away. Think about it.
[This message has been edited by outsider (edited March 07, 2001).]

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 03-07-2001 02:47 PM
Outsider is right.
And even if it did melt, this would only increase the det. vel. very slightly over that of pressed AP. There's still the same amount of AP, so the amount of energy will still be exactly the same, it'll just be released slightly quicker.
If you have it like in your diagram, the sugar/chlorate mix will absorb a significant amount of the blast, and also it makes the AP further away from the main charge.
And just because one of the balls hasn't gone off yet doesn't make it safe.
You said that it'd be equally powerful to a cap using more AP. Well, that is complete nonsense. A gram of AP contains the same amount of energy as any other gram of AP, so how will pressing it in foil make it any more powerful?

frostfire
Frequent Poster
posted 03-07-2001 03:15 PM
hi,do anyone know what's the max confinement of AP would make which detonator number?
say, #8 caps is equal with mercury fulminate detonation velocity, well Mercury fulminate DV is higher than AP but with some modification on the confinement....anybody knows??????

Foxtrot83
Frequent Poster
posted 03-07-2001 10:23 PM
Since its not clear about what i'm saying, I'll put it in terms Microtek used in another post, "Density really makes a difference in initiating performance, so detonators should always have their primary and base explosives compressed. I never use less than 2000 psi and sometimes up to 8000 psi." I hope what he said sheds some light on what I'm trying to do, or an even better way of seeing what I'm trying to do is to try it for yourself. Make two caps my way and the normal newbie way (without pressing or just a dowel), and you should see and hear the difference in detonation (if it was properly constructed like in my dream).

------------------
~Semper Fi~
Foxtrot83

outsider
Frequent Poster
posted 03-08-2001 10:01 AM
Density raises the VoD, but only to a certain extend. You can't deadpress AP like you can mercuryfulminate, but there's is a upper limit where more compression leads to no furhter increasement of VoD. And I think that limit is reached already when AP is pressed in a metal tube with somekind of a lever. The difference in density cannot be increased a lot by further pressure (or even by melting it, which is hazardous, troublesome anyway). AND I think confinement is maybe even more important than density. Like Mr. Cool says: the mixture absorbs the shock- and pressurewave (and it cannot be fully transmitted to the surrounding high explosive because of the distance). So it won't work. Sorry. But it makes "loud fuckin' kaboom" anyway.

firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted 03-08-2001 03:05 PM
It shouldn't increase the power over a pure pressed AP detonator.

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 03-09-2001 08:46 AM
Yes it is a good test of mine to see if a mix or a substance is explosive when confined...difference of explosion regim between the open and the confined...aluminium foil is great- it resist heat and conducts it to the explosive.
The only difference is the confinment and the fact that the AP is already a little hot when deflagrated or detonated... you decrease the activation energy by providing heat and thus deflagration/detonation is more effective.

BTW any molten product is always less dense than its solid form-except for water!!!!Thus never forget the sequence for a heated solid:
Solid-->dilatation-->melts-->liquid--> dilatation -->vaporise--->gas--->dilatation--->ionise/decompose/...-->dilatation-->plasma.

Finally I doubt it to be more powerful since the amount of low explosive that you use to heat 0.5g of AP when replaced by AP under the same packing/confinement has to be much more powerful. Can you compare:
*0.5g AP in Al foil surrounded by 4g Black powder in a solid container with a fuse,
*with 4.5g Ap in a solid container with a fuse (the amount of AP to initiate the transition from deflagration to det is very low)??????
Yes it will be more powerful than 0.5g alone because you forget that it boost up the black powder surrounding it.

------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

Microtek
Frequent Poster
posted 03-09-2001 08:54 AM
Well said. ( Philou )

Foxtrot83
Frequent Poster
posted 03-09-2001 04:25 PM
Interesting point PHILOU Zrealone but blackpowder isn't in my dream (it doesn't burn hot enough to melt or heat up the al foil to detonate the AP). I also said to use 1-2grams max., not .5 cause that can't really accomplish anything in a homemade detonator. Plus the diagram wasn't made perfectly, thats why i said to use a small enough tube so that the shock and pressure wave wouldn't be absorbed by the mixture. It wouldn't have to travel far at all (as stated by outsider). So it will work.

------------------
~Semper Fi~
Foxtrot83

Foxtrot83
Frequent Poster
posted 03-09-2001 04:29 PM
To firebreather: I never said it would, all I said was that it'd make a nice improvised cap for those who couldn't make or get there hands on a press.

------------------
~Semper Fi~
Foxtrot83

Anthony
posted 03-09-2001 05:58 PM
You can compress AP much more with a dowel than you could by scrunching it up in a ball of Al foil.
You haven't explained why AP in Al foil inside a pipe will create a detonator than the same amount of AP in a pipe. The amount of AP is the same, the confinement (the pipe) is the same, why should some Al foil boost power so much?

The thing with the saucepan, I really don't think the Al foil had much to do with anything. The AP could have been wrapped in tape, or in a plastic tube and have had the same effect.

firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted 03-09-2001 06:10 PM
I didn't mean anything more than a dowel. What I meant was kinda like what philou said in that the 4.5 grams of AP would be more powerful than just .5 g with some LE. If you used something like flash that is very powerful and burns hot and intense, I don't think power would really be decreased that much so this could be a definite option if you don't want to make alot of AP. But Chlorate flash is very unstable just like AP, so that the senstivity would still be high.

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 04-04-2001 10:00 AM
Foxtrot83:
I'm positive; Black Powder will produce enough heat to melt, and detonate Cyclotriacetonperoxyde trough an Aluminium foil... I don't see why it would work for me in my country and not for you in yours... usually chemistry and physic are universal.
Of course everything depends on the number of Al sheets you have arround the CTAP...because indeed you have to heat the Al mass. Usually I use 1 to 4 layers of 0.05-0.1mm Al foil and it works fine.