View Full Version : Balloons! - Archive File

megalomania
May 18th, 2003, 03:38 PM
mark
Frequent Poster
posted 03-21-2001 06:43 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was messing around with acetylene, and I cant get the ballon bomb thing to work. I filled a balloon to softball size with acelitine, then tied it and lit it. It spit a little bit of fire, but nothing else. I then tried blowing some air into the ballon until it was the size of a small basket ball and lit it. It made a pathetic poping noise and a flash the size of the balloon. What is the best way to make acelitine ballons with calcium carbide?
And whats an easy way to make hydrogen?

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 03-21-2001 08:22 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"i then tried blowing air into the baloon"
Somehow im assuming you put your mouth up to the ballon blowing. If that is the case. That is not air you are blowing in there and you need oxygen, not air.

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted 03-21-2001 08:29 PM
Just follow the recipie on makeshift arsenal for hydrogen baloons. They 'explode' with a dull thud or low boom if you let them float up a bit before lighting them. (i like to tape a bit of fuse to them, and let them float into a neighbours yard, where they explode)

c0deblue
Frequent Poster
posted 03-21-2001 08:43 PM
Any gas explosion depends on the fuel air mixture being within flammability limits, so I suspect your test balloon didn't contain enough air. The Gas Explosion Handbook (thanks Anthony) is quite informative on the subject, and Chapter 4 provides information on explosive fuel-air ratios. http://www.cmr.no/english/gexcon/Handbook/GEXHBchap4.htm
I would try partially inflating a balloon with air, and complete the filling from your acetylene source. A sealed container with a small spout will work if you mix calcium carbide with water to generate the gas. Start small though - these things pack quite a wallop in terms of high temperature flame and potential ear damage.

Hydrogen can be generated by electrolyzing a solution of KOH using concentric electrodes and separating the pure hydrogen. I think I'd steer clear of this though - unless you can get hydrogen in pressurized form it will be difficult to fill a balloon with it.

firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted 03-21-2001 09:31 PM
I once used this = Al + NaOH to produce H2 gas, works good. Also HCl + Al. Makes a really deep boom. Pretty loud. I read somewhere you can electrolize water into O2 and H2. You need to collect them in diff. balloons. I will try this soon.

mark
Frequent Poster
posted 03-21-2001 09:36 PM
I tried filling the ballon by filling the ballon slightly with calcium carbide, the atatching the balloon to a bottle filled with water. I filled the ballon to about 5 inches in diameter. Then I atatched the ballon to a bickle pump and pumped it up an inch larger. I tied it and lit it. It made a hell of a flash, but a realy low sound. It also had no power, because i put a little toy car on it, and when the ballon went of, the car just fell to the ground.

firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted 03-21-2001 09:57 PM
Oh and that site is http://cator.hsc.edu/~kmd/caveman/projects/chloralkali/index.html the reaction is NaCl + H2O -> NaOH + Cl2 + H2. This is strangely the same reactants as in a chlorate cell so I don't know if they are leaving things out. The Cl2 comes off the anode and H2 is produced at the cathode. They use carbon rods out of old batteries. You could collect the H2 gas and use it in a balloon. furthermore add Al to the NaOH produced and get even more H2.
[This message has been edited by firebreether (edited March 21, 2001).]

c0deblue
Frequent Poster
posted 03-22-2001 02:31 AM
Gas mixture explosions can be very loud and hot, but they really don't have much energy unless there's a very large volume of fuel/air. I've tried oxygen/acetylene mixtures in cannons (1-litre soda bottle filled with mixed gas) - great sound and fury but a six-pound sabboted projectile only traveled about 12 feet.

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 03-22-2001 02:54 PM
Surely mixing Al with NaOH produces Aluminium hydroxide and sodium metal? Please forgive my horrible knowledge of chemistry, I'm only on my first year.

Anthony
posted 03-22-2001 03:44 PM
If you're using electrolysis to get H2, why bothere seperting the gases??? Just use it as-is and you've got a nice oxy-hydrogen mix.
If making H2 with NaOH + Al, use a condenser because the reaction gets very hot, if you simply put the ballon straight on top of the reaction vessel the ballon will get filled with a lot of water vapour. When you tie off the ballon, the watre vaput will condense, shrinking the ballon and also weigh it down so that it will not float.

firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted 03-22-2001 04:14 PM
Yeah but I thought when O2 and H2 where in the right proportions they spontaneously form H2O. Which means that the balloon would never fill up with gas.

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 03-22-2001 08:57 PM
Yes gas mixe are indeed dangerous. Baloons are a bit wimpy for making big bangs though. Heavy duty extra large gargabe bags are chaos when they go off. Be extremly far away if you do this. Its deafening. Also be very careful. At my dads work they used to do this quite often. Until a guy he knew got a leg blown off because of static electricity. If you do use the garbage bag, make sure there are no holes and it is perfectly sealed.
------------------
technology is a wonderful servant, but a bitch of a master.

Explosives Archive

c0deblue
Frequent Poster
posted 03-23-2001 12:18 AM
A good idea when dealing with gas mixtures (and other sensitive materials) is to treat the balloon, garbage bag, or container with a conductive or anti-static spray (available as a laundry product or for treating plastics, electronic worksurfaces etc.). Use proper grounding procedures such as those recommended when handling sensitive electronic devices. Be especially cautious with vehicles - ever notice the shock you sometimes get when exiting a car? A good precaution (long used on certain types of trucks) is to ground the vehicle using a steel strip or small chain connected to the vehicle chassis and long enough to drag on the ground. This will prevent a static charge from building up.

mark
Frequent Poster
posted 03-28-2001 07:27 PM
You all have been verry helpfull, but please, treat me like an idiot. Can someone help me with a step by step accelitine bomb thing.

J
posted 03-28-2001 08:06 PM
You should be able to work it out, no one's going to give you 'step by step' instructions. Ask specific questions, but don't be lazy.
J

------------------
"If the aquarium water has to be drunk don't waste the fish. In fact they'll probably be the easiest to eat even if you don't need the water. The cat is next in the pot." - John 'Lofty' Wiseman

nbk2000
posted 03-28-2001 08:46 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how, with the greatest repository of human knowledge (internet) at their fingertips, some people STILL can't find the answer to even a simple question.
Use a search engine, moron!

------------------
"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them"

Go here to download the NBK2000 website PDF.

Go here to download the NBK2000 videos.

firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted 03-28-2001 09:49 PM
Well, I guess I should put this here since we are talking about air/fuel mixes. Some people have said that combustion spudguns can only reach 15 psi. This is literally impossible, as 14.7 psi is standard pressure. This means the projectile won't go anywhere. Obviously we all know that this is not the case. The reason these guns work is that when the mix ignites its products are like at least 5 times the temp in K as the reactants. This translates to 5 times the pressure. Which means 15 * 5 = 75 psi. Now say you used something like Acetylene. When mixed in equal proportion with air this will have an 8 or 9 times the temp after reaction. This yields 15 * 8 = 120 psi. Hydrogen, in correct amounts with air produces a temp of about 7 or 8 times. 105 psi. So as you can see, the pressures are greater than just 15 psi.
But please note that the actual yield will be slightly smaller for a couple reasons. One, to produce this temp the gases have to be in THE right proportions, if wrong proportions are used ( as will be) slightly lower pressures are obtained. Two, this one can be considered VERY negligeable, when many gases like H2 combust, they decrease the amount of moles of product, however since air is used it is mostly nitrogen , the # of moles wouldn't be decreased much, so this wouldn't have a great effect on the pressure.
Just venting, as when I saw this on a site I got pissed.

PYRO500
posted 03-28-2001 10:04 PM
when you talk about pressuere you are usualy talking about how much it is above or below ambient pressure. if you ever shoot a pneumatic spudgun it takes effort to pump up to 15 psi and then when you shoot at 15 psi the projectile moves! dosent it! all we are talking about here is "OVERPRESSURE" (I think)

Anthony
posted 03-29-2001 12:54 PM
I've always heard about 30psi above atmospheric pressure, it seems reasonable.

firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted 03-29-2001 03:21 PM
your right, the pressure difference is really what matters. But you know you're right, you have to pump like a bat outta hell to get a small bike tire to any reasonable pressure, and a spudguns chamber is much bigger than a bike tire.

mark
Frequent Poster
posted 03-29-2001 06:58 PM
Quote: "Use a search engine, moron!"
I have. I got somthing about gingerblast 99, the darwin awards, and somthing to do with general paton.

So because the search engine option has failed, I have come hear seeking help. So far Ive been treated with knowledge about atmospheric presures and spud guns, but nothing on how to make an acelitine ballon bomb.

So how can I make a bang with ballons and calcium carbide?

(I'm not talking about OUR search engine, I meant something like Google ( www.google.com ) or Hotbot ( www.hotbot.com ). Try "acetylene" and "explosive limits". The very first hit on Google gave the exact info needed. The fact that you didn't find it means you're lazy! OOPS! My mistake. You couldn't find the information because you don't know how to spell ACETYLENE properly. Maybe a spellchecker would help you. OOPS! My mistake again, WE HAVE ONE! I'd suggest you use it. NBK2000)

[This message has been edited by nbk2000 (edited March 30, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by nbk2000 (edited March 30, 2001).]

Cricket
Frequent Poster
posted 03-29-2001 10:14 PM
I read this from one of the "cookbooks", but I think it works. Also, if you read the Darwin Awards, you would see that acetylene mixtures can be quiet dangerous so please be carful. Anyway, here is the basic idea. Get a glass bottle that your balloons can securely fit on. Fill the bottle up about 1/2 or 2/3 with the calcium carbide. Then put in enough water to cover the calcium carbide (I guess it don't float, if it does just put in a 50-50 mix of the two chemicals). So just put the calcium carbide in a beer bottle (clean it out), put in some water, put on a balloon, and wait. And a way to make Hydrogen is Al foil in HCl (I think). Good luck.

mark
Frequent Poster
posted 03-31-2001 09:05 PM
I used Yahoo. I copied and pasted the word acetylene from another website, and thats what I got.

frostfire
Frequent Poster
posted 04-02-2001 05:44 PM
cricket recipe is right,
they use the same procedure in steel tube and oxygen tank to do the acetylene welding
Watchout the reaction with the water is vigorous and it also boils the water.. make sure you have the right confinement....you don't want to taste hot boiling water with calcium carbide on your face

mark
Frequent Poster
posted 04-02-2001 11:05 PM
After filling do i just tie and light?

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted 04-03-2001 02:17 AM
umm... you might want to step back a bit before lighting it. From what I hear it hurts when you get your face burnt badly

HMTD Factory
Frequent Poster
posted 04-03-2001 03:29 AM
To answer blackadder's earlier question :
The reaction gives sodium aluminate and hydrogen. Water is also a reactant.

Na2Al2O4, useless.

firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted 04-03-2001 09:35 PM
I always wondered what the other product would be. Cool HMTD factory.