View Full Version : sulfur - Archive File

megalomania
May 18th, 2003, 03:43 PM
endotherm
Frequent Poster
posted 04-03-2001 07:34 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
besides use as a sensitizer, what if any are some of the fuel/oxidizer mixtures for sulfur and or anyother explosive compsistions that can be produced from sulfur

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 04-03-2001 08:01 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well, i am sure me and everyone else here could list every flash composition that includes "S", but i don't think that is such a hot idea. hows about you search the forum, and if you still have questions about mixtures containing "S" then ask. but i am sure you will find tons of mixtures, enough to tide you over for a good long while.
wow did that sound REALLY condisending or what! that is the way i meant it. search first then post. obviously you are not the first person to ask this question, or one VERY similar... come on for 's sake.

------------------
...Æ

[This message has been edited by CragHack (edited April 03, 2001).]

endotherm
Frequent Poster
posted 04-03-2001 08:30 PM
Well i'm sure craghack talks a lot of shit...ok, everyone could list a flash composition that contains "S" but i said not used as a sensitizer, not just compositions that include "S" as a sensitizer, i meant using sulfur directly for use as a oxidizer, is it possible, would it work if i melted sulfur with sugar?
And P.S if u do a search for sulfur i get basically nothing directly relevant to my question, except for the zinc/sulfur rocket fuel post

[This message has been edited by endotherm (edited April 03, 2001).]

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 04-04-2001 03:55 PM
didn't you ask for explosive compositions that contained sulfur? i kindly responded that there are many flash comositions that contain sulfur and all you have to do is search. i am sure if you looked up "flash" or "flash powder" you would get something. what specifically do you want to do with the sulfur? do you have any idea or are you looking for someone to tell you what you can do and then determine yourself, with the chemicals you have, whether or not you can do that? i think you have something in mind just don't know if you can do it.
------------------
...Æ

J
posted 04-04-2001 04:29 PM
A 50/50 mix of Al/S will burn without Oxygen present. However, it won't explode when confined.
Please attempt to use proper grammar, then people might take you more seriously.

J

------------------
"If the aquarium water has to be drunk don't waste the fish. In fact they'll probably be the easiest to eat even if you don't need the water. The cat is next in the pot." - John 'Lofty' Wiseman

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted 04-05-2001 01:39 AM
sulfur isn't an oxidiser. it won't burn under confinement unless mixed with an oxidiser.

the freshmaker
Frequent Poster
posted 04-05-2001 08:15 AM
SATANIC:
That is not true. When Zinc/sufur burns/explodes the sufur is the oxidizer and the zinc is the fuel. It's a litle weird to explain but as I remember it is somekind of electron-exchange between the two chemicals.
PS. If you still don't belive me then try mixing 8gr Zn. and 2gr S. Use it in a firecraker/bomb under confinement. TRY IT!

------------------
good boy with bad ideas

Anthony
posted 04-05-2001 04:56 PM
S can't be an oxidiser. I think Zn/S is a chemical reaction like thermite, when the enough energy is applied (lighting) the chemicals react and decompose, releasing gases and enough heat to sustain the reaction.
I can't explain this very well at all.

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 04-05-2001 07:49 PM
well as far as i am concerned we are all talking about two different oxidizers. in pyrotechnics, an oxydizer supplies Oxygen to a reaction so as to sustain the burning. now, when you talk about electron sharing sulfur is a pretty strong oxidizer. if everyone will whip out there highschool chemistry periodic tables you will notice that the closer you get to flourine (going from left to right, francium and cesium to chlorine bromine and flourine) the more affinity the atoms have for electrons. and if i am not mistaken, Sulfur is located somewhere around Oxygen, flourine chlorine and bromine on the periodic table. so essentially Sulfur is a strong oxizider in one sense and not in another. in the zinc sulfur reaction i actually agree with anthony in the the metal gives up electrons and sulfur takes them... thus you have the reaction. but when you are talking the way endotherm is talking NO, Sulfur is not an oxidizer, not in the sense that it provides oxygen to the reaction... (DUH!) for an example of this think of a flash composition with potasium perchlorate and aluminum. in this the potasium chlorate is the oxydizer because it lends the oxygen atoms to the reaction.
------------------
...Æ

endotherm
Frequent Poster
posted 04-05-2001 08:35 PM
WOW! who was to think a whole conversation/debate would develop from one incorrect word, i know sulfur is not a oxidizer, i meant to say fuel but than i thought of the Zn/Sulfur mixture and in that the sulfur is definitley some kind of an (oxidzer) or something that is supporting a fuel, so anyway, i basically just got confused

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 04-05-2001 08:38 PM
why are you so suprised. there is a HUGE difference between things classified as fuels, in a reaction, and things classified as oxydizers. hell in different reactions a fuel CAN be an oxydizer and an oxydizer a fuel. so watch what you say. i recall a story WAY back when megalomania's girl asked him to look up a word, a chemical ui think it was and she added a letter by accident. an "S" i believe it was. and this fucked it all up. the moral of the story. PROOFREAD!
------------------
...Æ

endotherm
Frequent Poster
posted 04-05-2001 09:41 PM
I don't proofread, it ain't my style.
Nah Just kidding, my slip up

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 04-07-2001 11:41 PM
Very interesting. According to skylighter, in zinc/sulfur compositions, sulfur is used as an oxidizer. Goto http://www.skylighter.com/chemical.htm
and scroll down the Sulfur flower. I just dont know anymore.

[This message has been edited by ALENGOSVIG1 (edited April 07, 2001).]

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 04-08-2001 04:38 PM
didn't you read my post above (the one on april 5th at 7:49 pm...) that explains it all. that explains the difference between the oxydizers and fuels in different reactions. it explains how something like sulfur can be an oxidyzer and a fuel.