View Full Version : Acrylic Thinner - Archive File

megalomania
May 18th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Scarecrow
posted 02-18-2001 09:02 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Im going to make AP but i want to know how concentrated is the acetone in the acrylic thinner because i cant get my hands on acetone!!!!
------------------
Wisdom pursuits everyone...
dont worry we're faster!!!!!

Anthony
posted 02-18-2001 11:17 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using anything other than acetone could creater another peroxide and most peroxides are very instable. You do NOT want anything other than acetone peroxide of HMTD.
Everyone can get nail varnish remover, use that if you can't get pure acetone.

Scarecrow
posted 02-18-2001 11:24 AM
Ok i wont use thinner but nail polish contains alcohol and other solvents too btw ive hear a way of making acetone with acetic acid. does anybody knows how it goes?
------------------

Scarecrow
posted 02-18-2001 11:27 AM
i think there is an error because there are two identical topics by this name

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 02-18-2001 02:48 PM
If you have concentrated acetic acid you should be making acetic anhydride for rdx. Synthesis of acetone is too complex for home manufacture. What country do you live in?
------------------
technology is a wonderful servant, but a bitch of a master.

Explosives Archive

Scarecrow
posted 02-18-2001 02:52 PM
i cant tell u exactly where i live but it is in south america and i cant find acetone that easy(if i ever find it at all!!!) btw how do you sintetize acetic anhydride for rdx
------------------

[This message has been edited by Scarecrow (edited February 18, 2001).]

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 02-18-2001 03:44 PM
If you can get acrylic thinner, surely you can get nail varnish remover.
Don't worry about the other compounds, just try to get the cheapest brand, make sure it's colourless.

Many people on the forum use nail varnish remover, I do, anthony does, and many others.
No one has any serious accidents related to the nail varnish remover.

Donutty
Frequent Poster
posted 02-18-2001 05:31 PM
You can't find Acetone in the US? God..even in the UK I have managed to find it, and at a good price too. Just have some patience...good things come to those who wait.

Scarecrow
posted 02-18-2001 05:54 PM
If you read more carefully ive told that i live in SOUTH AMERICA not in the us so i really cant find it because its use in drugs!!!.

Sgt_Starr
Frequent Poster
posted 04-17-2001 11:23 AM
What amount should I use (nail varnish remover) to get a good yield? thanks

Anthony
posted 04-17-2001 02:38 PM
Depends on the concentration of acetone in the nail varnish remover.

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 04-18-2001 01:01 PM
If you get the cheapest, clearest nail varnish remover, then it is almost pure acetone, like 97% to 99%. Since it is such high concentration, you can treat it like pure, so if the instructions say 200ml acetone, use 200ml nail varnish remover. If there is a difference in yield, it will be very, very miniscule.