View Full Version : Weird HMTD Reaction - Archive File

megalomania
May 24th, 2003, 02:27 PM
John456
Frequent Poster
posted 04-04-2001 08:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was making HMTD today, and all was going according to planned until i left it to set. I made it the same as all the other times (92g 30% peroxide, 28g hexamine, 42g citric acid), usually that formula yields very well. It looks normal after i mixed all the acid in (clear solution with many bubbles). I put it in the garage to set, it was about 60 degrees F in there. In about 4 hours when i came back to check the progress, there was a thin layer of amber gunk at the bottom of the beaker, and it looked like it had gone over the sides and the same gunk was all around the beaker. what happened?

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 04-04-2001 09:33 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
all i can think of is there was a foriegn bit of crap in there that reacted with one of your chemicals. cause if you got it this time and not all the other times that is probly what it is. i know you might have washed out your reaction vessel before hand but from the time you washed it out till the time you put in all the shit something might have gotten in there. or you just didn't wash it out well enough. either way i am saying there was shit in there to start with that shouldn't have been there and that reacted with it. (i am assuming you washed your vessel out before you started)
------------------
...Æ

John456
Frequent Poster
posted 04-04-2001 09:52 PM
Washed it thoroughly with boiling water. Nothin' in there. I did it outside so something might have fallen in or something, i cant imagine it would affect it this much though. It looked like something else altogether

YTS
Frequent Poster
posted 04-06-2001 06:48 PM
What do you mean you washed it with boiling water . if you mean after you procured it and washed it with boiling water its fucked

John456
Frequent Poster
posted 04-06-2001 11:08 PM
No, i washed the beaker with boiling water to clean it. before i put any chemicals in.

Mr-Eckted
June 7th, 2003, 07:36 PM
This just happened to me. I used the same Synth as you, and after a while, im left with a moist yellow gunk. Almost "jello". I am sure that everything was clean. I'm going to let it dry out and then do some testing on it.