View Full Version : AP and BLACK POWDER - Archive File

megalomania
May 24th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Nick
posted 04-10-2001 10:39 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So Many times have I made AP into putty with nitocellulose, but I wonder IF adding black powder to the mix of... smokeless powder, AP and Acetone will make a bigger bang. Or how about adding BP to the mixture and leaving out the AP,..Making a putty of hardend nitrocellulose and BP. Would the BP being incased in the nitorsellulose be enough confinment to set it off, and inturn, would the BP decompose fast enough to set the nitocellulose into a high order explosion?. or would nothing happen but a very quick puff of semi smokeless gas appear??

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 04-11-2001 12:02 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No way BP is going to detonate Smokeless powder.
------------------
technology is a wonderful servant, but a bitch of a master.

Explosives Archive

Igenx
Frequent Poster
posted 04-11-2001 12:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Or how about adding BP to the mixture and leaving out the AP,..Making a putty of hardend nitrocellulose and BP. Would the BP being incased in the nitorsellulose be enough confinment to set it off, and inturn, would the BP decompose fast enough to set the nitocellulose into a high order explosion?.

You aren't going to be able to detonate smoleless powder using black powder. In order to get a high order, "real" explosion out of smokeless powder without these two things:
1. double base powder that contains nitroglycerine (I believe that single base powder will work, but is a comparitive bitch to detonate, correct me if I'm wrong.)
2. a detonator. black powder is not a detonator, so your combination will not work.

If you're just trying to get a low order detonation why the hell are you adding black powder? It's just cutting the percent of smokeless powder (which burns better under confinement), therefore slowing it down.

Also, if you're trying for a high order detonation then why the did you post this in the low order section?

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 04-11-2001 03:12 AM
To detonate NC with BP, you would need:
1) A urge quantity to selfconfine the NC!(thus not safe and not very discrete).
2) not an exces of BP otherwise the NC would lose its ability of transition from deflagration to detonation (20%-40% BP with NC)
3) Confinement in a solid container (no more fun since you can't look at it and because it can kill you )
4) A powerfull HE detonator (so why to play with this shity mix if you have acces or can make HE )
5) A fine dispersion of a detonationg explosive like AP to boost up the thing (but also give a much dangerous mix to handle, much sensitive to friction, impact, heat, ...
6) All the five above in different combinations
7) Me think it would be better to make a mix of dry NH4NO3 or NH4ClO4 with NC and AP (maybe not in the mix but as a detonator!) to get a perfect OB...

iron raven
June 7th, 2003, 09:20 AM
hello,
that mix containg someless powder and bp, dosen't explode but makes excellent stars. 4 parts smokless powder to 1 part black powder, mixed in acetone. These stars need no priming.
well this dosn't have anything to do with explosives but is an intrseting star.
master of the atom
iron raven