View Full Version : AP containers - wtf? - Archive File

megalomania
May 24th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Mick
Frequent Poster
posted 04-28-2001 10:59 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i mixxed up 2 jars of AP a couple of days ago, 1 of the jars is about 2 inches in diameter, the other is about 5 inches
i used the exact same ratio in each of the jars and i made them at the same time
somthing that i have noticed is the amount of AP in the 5" jar is way less then the amount in the 2" jar

now i haven't confirmed the yeild difference as of yet
but does anyone know what the go is here?
does the size of the jar relate to the size of the yeild?

i'm probably gunna pick up a small set of electric scales tomorrow cause i'm sick of using "eye" measurments (ie. "yeah...that looks about right" ) so i'll prolly post my reasult in the following days

i was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this?

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 04-28-2001 12:54 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The same thing has happened to me when i used to use 3% h202.

Anthony
posted 04-28-2001 06:54 PM
Not calling anyone dumb but you do realise that the cross-sectional area of the 5" jar is a lot more than the 2"? So the layer of AP would be spread out more and a lot thinner?

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 04-28-2001 07:25 PM
its pretty easy to see your yeild when you have it in a piece of coffee paper.
------------------
technology is a wonderful servant, but a bitch of a master.

Explosives Archive

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 04-29-2001 10:14 AM
Maybe some acetone is evapourating, so more would evapourate from the 5" jar, causing a smaller yield?

Anthony
posted 04-29-2001 04:10 PM
I didn't think that;s what it'd be but you'd be surprised what you can over-look.

John456
Frequent Poster
posted 04-29-2001 04:20 PM
This has happened to me. The wider the diameter of the jar, the more the solution is exposed to air. Acetone evaporates pretty fast, so if more of it is exposed to air more evaporates. Thats probably what happened.