View Full Version : stirring question - Archive File

megalomania
May 24th, 2003, 02:33 PM
James
posted 04-29-2001 05:29 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How would constant stirring (ie a magnetic stirrer) affect the synthesis of explosive peroxides?
------------------
Forrestalls Syndrome -- when they are out to get you and you know it.

PYRO500
posted 04-29-2001 05:40 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It might set them off with the shock of being crushed against the side of the jar

simply RED
Frequent Poster
posted 04-30-2001 03:10 PM
The stirring is involved to prevent forming of big chrystals.

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 04-30-2001 03:44 PM
Just stirr occasionally. Simple

Bryan
May 27th, 2003, 10:39 PM
In my experiance, With some things stirring longer increases yeild, such as with HMTD.

Bryan

Arthis
May 28th, 2003, 04:37 AM
You may be aware that stirring only mix chemicals and increase chances that 2 mol. encounter each other and react. There more you stir the faster it will react. But stirring only sometimes is enough (except in special reactions).

SATANIC
May 28th, 2003, 06:57 AM
Arthis, not quite sure if I follow, are you saying that the more you stir, the more likely reactants are likely to come into contact with each other ?

(Hence faster reaction times)

Sorry, just don't understand the wording. That's what I assume, seeing as it's all I know that's relevant.

Desmikes
May 28th, 2003, 10:59 PM
Just like hitting a piece of lead with a hammer causes it to heat up, the water or whatever you're stirring will heat up, the energy is always conserved, the heat might cause reaction to take place more rapidly.

Arthis
May 29th, 2003, 05:18 AM
Huho ! I'm not pretending to replace a heater, Desmike !

Yes SATANIC, that's the point. It's like powder (e.g. KNO3/sugar): the better mixed (e.g. melted together), the faster the reaction.

jfk
June 9th, 2003, 11:22 PM
its not got anything (almost) to do with a heater. were not heating the acetone or hexamine when we peroxide' it.

its the fact that on a molecular level - if the reactants are moving around constantly there is a higher chance of an acetone molecule and a hydrogen peroxide molecule(which is a nucleophille) meeting up and underoging a reaction. (in an acidic environment of course)