View Full Version : Plans for Rocket Launchers - Archive File

megalomania
May 24th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Azazel
Frequent Poster
posted 10-18-2000 03:38 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have always dreamed of making a rocket high quality rocket launcher which i can use time and time again... ideas have pondered in and out of my head.
Has anyone out there got any good ideas to suggest on making these devices? I was thinking of making my rockets out of Estes D class engines but i have had trouble with stabilisation with those things.
A major question which i cant seem to answer is- I want the rockets to have solid fins not flexible plastic shite. So how do i make the rockets leave the barrel accuratley without flyin all over the place? I would need a type of internal guidance system within the rocket laucnher maybe like rails or a long wire shaft running down the centre!
anyways this is just food for thought. What im interested in is any ideas which u may have for me, Stats, ANYTHING.

Also for those ppl who have made these... if u use D size engine what weight should the whole rocket be and what length should the body tube be?

[This message has been edited by nbk2000 (edited October 18, 2000).]

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted 10-18-2000 10:32 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
keep the rocket's center of gravity at the exact center of its diameter.
also, you can attach a peice of string to the rockets center of gravity with some tape,
and swing it over your head, if the rocket's nose remains pointing forward,
and the rocket remains stable,

then the rocket's design is good.
NONE of these methods insure that the rocket will fly properly,
if you ask me,
adding a large explosive charge to a homemade rocket is an "interesting" way to die, so, DONT DO IT (please)!

[This message has been edited by BoB- (edited October 18, 2000).]

MrReTaRdEd
Frequent Poster
posted 10-18-2000 03:57 PM
I must have tried those damn modle rockets 50 times. I had a program that would design the rockets to that they would have a correct center of ballance and when i swung them around my head they worked.
unfortuately when they come out of the tube they are going a hole lot faster and have lose all stability. I never put explosives on it, because im not that stupid.
Look into RPG's they are probly a hole lot easier to make.
Oh yeah I would delet that monkey. The moderators have warned about that.

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted 10-18-2000 09:49 PM
if you put another set of fins on the front of the rocket( maybe about a third the way down its length )that should help in stabilisation. this would look like the patriot missile

Pyroboy
Frequent Poster
posted 10-19-2000 01:07 AM
One thing you mite want to do is add holes or just one hole to the end of the pipe so as the rocket bilds up power the gases have somewhere to go. Azazel I mite have already told you about this on the phone I can't remember. But one time I made this big ass rocket and put it down into a steel pipe closed off at one end. When I lit it up the gases poped the rocket out of the pipe, then it fully powed up and went all over the football field through some trees and accross a road and into some guys front yard. (man did we run like hell)
So, my point is if you want it to go straight, your going to have to get the rocket to its full power first. I could explane this all a lot better, but I just can't spell for shit. (thats what happends when you never go to school) hehe
PYROBOY....

Jhonbus
Frequent Poster
posted 10-19-2000 07:58 PM
Placing extra fins closer to the nose of the projectile will only make it more unstable.
An idea would be to cut 3 slits down the "barrel" and then glue more pipe sections over the slits to make them rigid. (does this make sense?) maybe a diagram

.....V
ok, so that was the shittest diagram ever, but i cannot be bothered to draw a proper one.
------------------
A physicist can make a bigger explosion than a chemist ever did
http://www.geocities.com/jhon_bus/

Ho ju
Frequent Poster
posted 10-19-2000 08:30 PM
make sure that the fins you make are touching the inside of the tube. this will help stabalize the rocket. you can also make the nose buldge out to touch the inside of the tube. this will all make it so the rocket does not rattle in the tube. it works.
------------------
-Knowledge is power, power leads to corruption, corruption is a crime, crime doesn't pay... So if you know to much, you will go broke!!!!

BaDSeeD
Frequent Poster
posted 10-19-2000 10:58 PM
I wonder if all the posts i did on my cannon/rocket launcher are still around in the archives. There's a lot of info in there that might be helpfull, but its too much to resubmit.
I had the same dilema you did. And i settled on folding fins for my rockets. I havnt quite perfected it, as some things have come up in my life that are taking up a lot more of my time, and also .. the weather is turning shitty this time of year... so i'll be stalled on any further testing until spring.

------------------
BaDSeeD
Knowledge is the true power, ignorrance will bring your demise.

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 10-19-2000 11:33 PM
I recomend puting a lanching rod similar to the on the estate lauch pad. Make sure it is fairly rigid though, over wise it doesn't work very well it stats to shake the rod and then your rocket will shake in flight and not be accurate. Maybe Pred still has that schematic from his site. I will check if I still do, if he doesn't.
------------------
A wise man once said:
"It is not a matter of wishing success to the victim of aggression, but of sharing his fate; one must accompany him to his death or to victory"
--Che Guevara 1928-1967

Agent Blak----OUT!!

Azazel
Frequent Poster
posted 10-20-2000 01:55 AM
Ok i think i understand what you mean...
so i get an aluminium pipe or PVC and have it nice fitt with the rocket body. Cut 3 STraight slots down the lenght of the tube. The rocket body will slide down the tube and the fins will stick out of the slots. then put another larger pipe on the outside...
Hmmm very interesting. This sounds good to me... thanx people....
Oh by the way sorry for the monkey thingy i thought it was gona come out small... also thanx for not being a prick to me for doing that!

nbk2000
posted 10-20-2000 11:30 PM
So then you're saying that if I had, that I would be a prick?
What does a moderator do? THEY MODERATE! That means keeping things smooth in the forum, including giant monkey heads.

------------------
"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them"

Go here to download the NBK2000 website PDF.

Azazel
Frequent Poster
posted 10-21-2000 07:10 AM
nah certainly didnt mean to insult
i just often see other people on this forum making unnecessary comments to others for doing silly things. so far i aint copped one of these yet! im not calling you a prick, actually ure a help to us all for keeping this place in order and for making sure stupid topics get locked. Great work!
oh by the way if i ever make one of these ill be sure to post them on a site and ill try to put videos or any such on!

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted 10-25-2000 02:33 AM
hmm... that idea with the 2 barrels and slits in the inside barrel realy does work. i'm certainly pleased with the result! (and i also used two sets of fins on the rocket)

Azazel
Frequent Poster
posted 10-25-2000 04:11 AM
Hmmm so someone has tried it out
sick!
Im gona build one soon im just tryin to figure out how long my rockets need to be seeing as im using D size estes engines and shit... for practice i figured rather than use actuall AP or explosive i will fill the war head with flour or something and pack it down hard just to Mimic the weight of what i intend to have as a warhead...
X=========> Rocket

Hmmmm they look shit !!!!!! ARG

has anyone got any information they could post about body tube lengths for various sizes of engines and weight of payload ans stuff like that?

hmmmm cant wait to finish this bugger so i can get plans up and running to you guys...

and a good idea i have for the warheads...
once i have properly figured out how to make the rockets fly as straight as i can get em and have them stabelized and shit ill use a BP warhead with ballbearins for Anti Personal use... hehehehehe im still tryin to figure out what would be a better warhead but for now that sounds saffer to use than AP or HMTD... maybe in the future ANNM but i think maybe not due to weight and size of charges etc etc...

Hard part so far is making the slits alongside the barrel DEAD straight...
hmmm might have to borrow the circular saw from friend...

Azazel
Frequent Poster
posted 10-25-2000 04:18 AM
ohh by the way Bob
i have made a homemade explosive rocket before just i didnt launch it from shoulder but from a launch platform on the ground...
i just used 3 shotgun shells worth of BP and packet it down tight and placed it all the the shotgun shell... i placed this over a c size engine which fitter perfectly inside...
i think epoxy the whole outside and allowed to dry for a week. I placed an additional layer or carboard coverage around the whole thing to make body dimmensions even!
i made nose cone and fins etc etc... i got it on video it was nice....
Basically it went realy high up... i lost sight of it because the tracer smoke had finished and it would be an additional 3 seconds before it reached its Apogee! Then i saw a white cloud and 2 seconds later a loud report i was happy with the results...

Cricket
Frequent Poster
posted 10-25-2000 04:31 AM
I didnt much want to give this idea up, but im sure (not really, but hope so) that you all would do the same thing for me. For the fins on a rocket, shape one side flat and the other side slightly bowed, exactly like a jets wing (since we want the same effect). Not at the first, but when the rocket is going faster I think this will give the rocket spin (and make it more stable) provided all the fins are pointed the same way and dont counter eachother. This may have already been thought of, and am sorry if so, but its original to me. I have not had the cash to do, but it really sounds like a good idea. One more item of intrest it the retractable fins that pyrotek.org sells (along with many many very useful chemicals, if you aint went before GO). Just order a catalog because their web page has 1/2 of what the catalog has. The page dont got the fins im talking about.

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted 10-25-2000 10:47 AM
(I'm not critizing your designs, just using this topic as an excuse for a rant)
See what I've never liked about the design of rocket grain ignited payloads is the fact that if you aim at a target...then your wasting explosives.

1/8" steel rod could be welded or secured into the head of a rocket, the rod could be sharpened into a hook shape with as sharp a tip as possible (I'm thinkin 50deg's, tri-sided),

then again, RPG's are usually kinda tiny, so you would have to aim for a very weak structure...okay maybe it wasnt such a good idea.

Cricket
Frequent Poster
posted 10-25-2000 04:53 PM
I am sorry, but I have no idea whay your saying (maybe becaus im watching Batman Beyond?).
[This message has been edited by Cricket (edited October 25, 2000).]

Ho ju
Frequent Poster
posted 10-25-2000 05:30 PM
don't even think about using HMTD. it is way more shock sensitive than AP is. i know some of you say people are over cautious with AP saying it isn't really all that sensitive to shock. well, HMTD is. given the slightest chance it will explode. it is bitchy that way. so don't use it as a filler for any type of rocket.
------------------
-Knowledge is power, power leads to corruption, corruption is a crime, crime doesn't pay... So if you know to much, you will go broke!!!!

Energy84
Frequent Poster
posted 10-25-2000 11:48 PM
I've been building (and succesfully launching) model rockets for a few years now and I've seen a few tricks along the lines of accuracy... but the best one yet is with the bowed fins. well, actually, just use a sander or somthin' like that to sand your wood (if that's what your fins are made outta...) and make an aerofoil type of shape. just like an air plane. That should work alright. It'll give a good spin depending on the type of airfoil...
Hey, how long r u guys making these launchers? coupla feet I hope. 'Cause without a high enough velocity, your airfoils won't work very well. also, from all the experiments and different articles I read, fins in the front won't help a damn bit. they cause instability with the rocket by creating too much drag in the front end. bad idea. I mean, they will work but it will take alot of precision and care to make sure you don't screw it up. Wouldn't think u'd want a bomb turnin' around on you in midair... anywayz, I'm gettin' tired.
Good luck

Pyroboy
Frequent Poster
posted 11-01-2000 04:33 AM
Heres a link to some pics of that rocket I was talking about. http://www.pyroboy.8k.com/b12.html
Just to proove I was not talking shit.
PYROBOY....

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 11-01-2000 02:46 PM
I use Quick drying body filler("BONDO") for my nozzles what do you use?

kingspaz
Frequent Poster
posted 11-01-2000 05:54 PM
hey
i've here for monthes....everythings changed and for the better i see.
well if anyone wants rough plans for my rocket launcher which works well with a fast reload capability which i'm quite proud of then email me at
kingspaz@supanet.com
its for rockets up to 40mm diamter...but i suppose you could soon change the size
i'm sure anyone here could build on my design and make it far better but i'm short of cash and material sources...i live in the uk

kingspaz
Frequent Poster
posted 11-01-2000 05:55 PM
the first sentance was supposed to say
'i've not been here for monthes'

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted 11-03-2000 01:06 AM
yeah.. what do you use as nozzle material? I need something more reliable!

SafetyLast
Frequent Poster
posted 11-04-2000 02:17 PM
What would be the greatest ammount of AP putty that you could use (in grams) for an Estes C-size rocket?
would regular AP work, or would it be too sensitive?
It would be a really bad thing to use HMTD since the initial shock of firing would most likely detonate the HMTD
what are some other alternatives for the warheads?

Azazel
Frequent Poster
posted 11-06-2000 04:10 AM
Hmm i believe even Black Powder would be good and use BB's in the warhead for a fragmentation effect. May be usefull for blinding and maiming. Not usefull for armour penetration.
For armour pen use shaped C-4 with a blasting cap.

SafetyLast
Frequent Poster
posted 11-07-2000 06:15 PM
Yes, but when an estes or other rocket is through burning the propellant is obviously gone and the nozzle remains. This is not good for black powder since it cannot be confined it simply blows out the back of the engine.
a cratermaker (CO2 cylinder bomb) would work good inside of a 3/4" schedule 40 pvc pipe and an estes C size rocket. The fuse on the crater maker would be really short, and the propellant would be drilled into. The rocket would be epoxied into the pipe and the cratermakers fuse would be inserted into the drilled into propellant a nose cone and some 1/4" pipe (for guide rails) would be added

vehemt
Frequent Poster
posted 11-11-2000 03:00 PM
Is it that hard to scrape off the ejection cap and charge and epoxy a plug on the end with a length of visco going through the cap touching the delay charge?

SafetyLast
Frequent Poster
posted 11-13-2000 06:35 PM
that is what I always do.
I was just looking for something new to do this time that is all.
and a CO2 bomb attached to a rocket will do a hell of a lot more damage than a simple bp charge.

Azazel
Frequent Poster
posted 11-14-2000 04:57 AM
Hmmm crater maker wun do shit, too heavy
too ancient
to egyptian man
ok so they didnt use them but thats not the point ok
do dis

-<----#|
- nail
>< nose cone
# primer
| Solid Backing

if u can understand what i have said above simply place a primary explosive then a secondary explosive... put the primary in front of the primer...
that way when it hits something it explodes from the back and goes towards the target.

[This message has been edited by nbk2000 (edited November 14, 2000).]

Zero
Frequent Poster
posted 12-15-2000 04:47 PM
I've found a good way to do fins, through a lot of trial and error (mostly error). The trick lies in putting your entire rocket inside a tube, fins and all, that slides down the barrel of the launcher. There's a link in my signature to my crappy explosives file. There's digrams in there, if you can't picture what I'm talking about.

------------------
~Zero the Inestimable
The A Files
{Link is a direct download.}

firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted 01-18-2001 03:50 PM

I think that a good way for rockets is like a bottle rocket method where a long dowel of a light wood down the side would stabilize it. this way when you put it in a tube you can use a tube just bigger than the rocket itself and shoot it out faster. I think when i get enough materials I am going to start making some missiles that are reg. rockets shot in the open,(with me a ways a way) that pack with a delay than on to a charge of Acetone Peroxide. Here's a simple preliminary sketch. These could be made as big or small as needed.C:\Program Files\Gregs stuff\Alpha Centauri\saves\auto\New Folder\HighGrow\HighGrow\Gregs stuff.jpg

megalomania
May 24th, 2003, 02:38 PM
SMAG 12B/E5
Frequent Poster
posted 03-10-2001 05:25 PM

Being a fng, I misposted and started a new thread, sorry. As to a reusable rocket launcher that Azazel was inquiring about. If the rocket and launcher are both to be designed, then consider an overcaliber warhead (larger than motor) and a same size stabalizer fin design that is ducted or surrounded with a tube slightly smaller than the launcher ID. The warhead and stabalizer will center the rocket in the tube. The 3.5 Antitank Rocket is a good example of this concept. All leading surfaces must be smooth and rounded.
If this is to be a shoulder fired launcher, the propellant must be totally consumed before the round exits the launcher. Otherwise, goggles, facesheild and firesuit are reccomended.
Two notes to be mentioned are: A boreridding type safety fuze is advisable and simple and as to spin stabilizing a rocket, the spin degrades the shaped charge effect to some degree, if this is to be a consideration.

Anthony
posted 03-10-2001 08:09 PM

Do you mean something like this?

The picture was taken after it had been fired and it did not work at all! The fins as well not have been there.

Pendragon
posted 03-12-2001 02:07 AM

I don't have time to read all of the posts for this message, but if you are trying to make a serious rocket, of high accuracy, did you know you can by a GPS system out of radio shack for like 109.95 and then manipulate it? It isn't even that hard. It takes like 4 other Merc switches and a few logic gates.

PYRO500
posted 03-13-2001 10:35 PM

yeah, and who's gonna loan you the equipment to decode the lcd panel info? most have built in processors on the back that change the digital input of the screen to analog coridanate information. of corse you could take the signal from the lcd processor output, but the wires are so small they are transparent! and even if you get the system to work, all you have is a bomb that will go off when it is moved into a specific location. this would not be able to guide a rocket. and what are mercury switches for? you coud NEVER build a rocket with gps guidance, esp since civ. units arent 100% as good or accurate as military ones. (guess why) you would need a custom built microprocessor, a very good altitude sensor, several powerful servo's and a hellava good rocket to be guided by that system

Anthony
Junior Member posted 03-10-2001 08:09 PM

Do you mean something like this?

The picture was taken after it had been fired and it did not work at all! The fins as well not have been there.

Pendragon
Junior Member posted 03-12-2001 02:07 AM

I don't have time to read all of the posts for this message, but if you are trying to make a serious rocket, of high accuracy, did you know you can by a GPS system out of radio shack for like 109.95 and then manipulate it? It isn't even that hard. It takes like 4 other Merc switches and a few logic gates.
------------------
Pendragon

PYRO500
Junior Member posted 03-13-2001 10:35 PM

yeah, and who's gonna loan you the equipment to decode the lcd panel info? most have built in processors on the back that change the digital input of the screen to analog coridanate information. of corse you could take the signal from the lcd processor output, but the wires are so small they are transparent! and even if you get the system to work, all you have is a bomb that will go off when it is moved into a specific location. this would not be able to guide a rocket. and what are mercury switches for? you coud NEVER build a rocket with gps guidance, esp since civ. units arent 100% as good or accurate as military ones. (guess why) you would need a custom built microprocessor, a very good altitude sensor, several powerful servo's and a hellava good rocket to be guided by that system.