View Full Version : death ray - Archive File

megalomania
May 24th, 2003, 02:42 PM
mr_evill
posted 03-03-2001 05:18 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GIGANTIC DEATH-RAY PROJECTOR

Big Tesla coils produce arcs many feet in length. These arcs take on
a sort of crawling fractal shape. What if they could be shaped into
perfectly straight lines? Then we would have a "death ray" generator
which resembles those found in hundreds of SF movies. Here's a
possible way for tesla coil hobbyists to accomplish just this feat
in the real world.

Build yourself a squirt gun. Power it with a couple hundred PSI
air compressor. An old CO2 fire extinguisher would make a good
water resevoir. Drive the tilt/pan motion remotely with cables and
pulleys. Give it a mechanical valve, controlled by another cable.

Install the entire thing in the main terminal of a large Tesla Coil. Use
nonconductive materials for the control cables and air hose, of course.
When the TC runs and the squirt gun squirts, the arc discharge will follow
the row of conductive water droplets! Looks just like a Phaser weapon
from Trek! (maybe put some metal salt copper chloride in the water to
give the arc's plasma a green color.)

If you REALLY wanted to get ridiculous, you could install the squirt gun
with its aim fixed axially upwards, then TILT AND PAN THE ENTIRE TESLA
COIL SECONDARY! Here's where a "magnifier" Tesla Coil might work better
than a standard TC.

Remember those truck-mounted beam weapons used in the first Godzilla
movie? Go for it!

The above is totally a thought experiment. Perhaps the arc won't even
follow the water jet for very long distances. Perhaps the steam will
cool things down and quench the arc. Perhaps you'll have to use
WD-40 and magnesium powder instead of water.

Prototyping test: poke a hole in a can bottom, suspend it from insulators,
hook it to a neon sign transformer, fill it with various liquids,
let it dribble into a grounded sink. Turn it on and see what
kind of arcing effects are obtained.

Other ideas: put various salts in the water to color the arc. Sodium
gives yellow/orange, strontium red, copper blue/green, etc. Use
several water tanks with various salts, and switch between them with
a high-speed valve to get a multicolored tracer-bullet effect. Also,
I've heard that there are particular salts which one can inject into
flames in order to cause conductivity. If these materials were placed
into the water jet, perhaps much longer "death beams" could be attained.

Obtain a 100hp gasoline generator, mount the whole affair on a flatbed
truck, shave your head, wear a white lab coat, put some copper sulphate
in the water to get a nice green effect, then go hold up a bank while
screaming:

I HAVE NO USE FOR YOUR PITIFUL CURRENCY, I SIMPLY WISH TO
ATTRACT THE ATTENTION OF...

***SUPERMAN***!!!

YOUR PUNY MENTAL-WARDS AND EXCESSIVELY SMALL PROJECTILE WEAPONS
ARE USELESS AGAINST THE POWER OF MY PLASMA BEAM GENERATOR!

SUPERMAN! WHERE ARE YOU! LEX LUTHOR SAYS COME TASTE
KRYPTONITE DEATH!!!!!

(If you forget to wear a flak jacket under your lab coat, don't
come whining to me!)

any more idears

Ctrl_C
Frequent Poster
posted 03-03-2001 10:58 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hrmm...i'm guessing the medication wore off halfway through the post.

HMTD Factory
Frequent Poster
posted 03-03-2001 11:29 PM
Way to impress the whole forum with the first post.
To me, it sounds more like the purple plasma beam in the arcade game, Raiden II.

I suppose a tracer type projectile that leaves conductile material after its wake will be faster, cleaner, cheaper and furthur than water jet?(a small rocket that leaves sulphur vapor and metal salt particles in its smoke for example).

Well people will tell you that the high voltage will wear off soon and taser and ion
beam have been around for ages but HEY, wacky
weapons are always fun to mess with.

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 03-04-2001 12:10 AM
You will have for sure have to have Ions in solution in your liquid(If H2) is used). Also Don't tesla coil(TC) just give a RF burn? you could try shooting to streams of Liquid(NaCl/H2O) one with a + then other with - charge. You could use a 40G induction coil to power it. etc. etc. etc.

------------------
A wise man once said:
"...I Am Not Much of a Dancer But,
Just Wait Till The Fucking Begins"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

PYRO500
posted 03-04-2001 01:49 AM
although it was a good post is has information that was copied word for word from sources I have ran across at the teslacoil web ring.

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 03-04-2001 08:54 AM
pyro500, that's exactly what I thought, you can see that he just pasted it in, because in his post the lines don't reach the full width of the screen, when every other post does.

Machiavelli
Frequent Poster
posted 03-04-2001 11:34 AM
A system like that with 2 electrolyte streams is in developement for crowd control.
Should be on some non-lethal weapons pages.

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted 03-04-2001 01:20 PM
I found the same thing in Bill Beaty's science page's.
The shit at the end is because the file was written by a "Lex Luthor".
It's here:
http://www.amasci.com/freenrg/ideas.html#three

It may work though, but there'e always a risk of you getting electricuted, causing your internal artery's to burst is NOT one of the many ways to intimidate your enemy.

mr_evill
posted 03-04-2001 05:13 PM
you are right I did copy that of bill B sorry i wasn't trying to copy it i just thrower it would be really cool if it worked
I might have a go at making one there are two problems with it you need a big Tesla coil to run on bathers and you don't want any of the water on you.

two good things are my dad is a plumber and this makes it easy to make the gun and I now that salt makes water much more conductive. I might use my old flame thrower fore the high presher I always use two of them electric car pumps

PYRO500
posted 03-04-2001 05:23 PM
just a suggestion but it is considered a good idea to show credit when possible

mr_evill
posted 03-04-2001 05:32 PM
sorry about that last post the spelling and grammar were crap any way hears is a circuit for the Tesla coil and when I misted a bit on the end I meant the pumps for car ties

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/5322/coildrv.htm

Predator
Frequent Poster
posted 03-04-2001 09:33 PM
The Tesla coil designing program on my site would supplement that well..
http://www.angelfire.com/co/WildEyedPsycho/Predator.html

Link is third from the top

[This message has been edited by Predator (edited March 04, 2001).]

mr_evill
posted 03-05-2001 04:31 PM
ok I am building the Tesla coil this week I have a small transformer that has an out put of 240ma I need to no how to make the cap and the main coil also do I need a cap and please bear in mind I want to use the circuit I gave the link to so I can run it on battery what should I use fore a spark gap
please help I will be posting some pictures when it is built if it works

if you was wondering what it might be like it will be like the people on red alert you no the ones how go "power on" if you have played it

mr_evill
posted 03-06-2001 01:42 PM
have we got board with this post now

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 03-06-2001 04:31 PM
Before someone locks/deletes/abandons this topic, mr_evill, you REALLY need to use the spellcheck, it wasn't put there just for the hell of it. It was put there for people like you.
"here", not "hear"
"bored", not "board"
"tires", not "ties".

ASSGREMLIN
posted 03-07-2001 02:49 AM
im surprised he hasn't electricuted himself yet...

Machiavelli
Frequent Poster
posted 03-07-2001 05:25 AM
You all had your fun, now let's get serious again, here's how the big boys/girls do it:
http://www.jaycor.com/eme/watcan.htm
"The wireless stun gun delivers a high-pressure saline solution with additives to minimize the breakup of the beam into droplets, thereby maximizing range.
Ranges of up to 20 feet have been demonstrated, while ranges of up to 100 feet or more are believed to be feasible with
improved nozzles and fluids.

A high-voltage electrical signal with low current is generated in a compact electronic package with 9-volt batteries. The impedance of the water stream is sufficiently low that it cannot be relied on to limit current to sure-safe levels; consequently current-limiting resistors are used to limit currents to sure-safe levels.
A single stream is used to deliver the current. The return path from the target is
through the capacitive impedance between the gun and the target."

Now for everybody who wants to improvise:

fluid: pure H2O isn't very conductive, so you prepare a saturated saline solution, meaning that you throw in NaCl until it won't dissolve anymore. I don't know about the performance of other salts als electrolytes compared to NaCl, if someone has a a better idea, please post. To prevent breakup of your water jet into mist, you need a gelling agent to thicken the fluid, possible candidates would be starch/dextrin, various gums and salts of Alginsäure (sorry I don't know the English word).

Power supply: In this example they use a stun gun, you could hook up anything you like, depending on your desired result.

Construction: Either use one jet and grounding or two jets. Build a motor powered squirt gun with a metallic nozzle, where you connect the power supply. If you need anymore info, ask a search engine.

[This message has been edited by Machiavelli (edited March 07, 2001).]

phyrelord
Frequent Poster
posted 04-22-2001 02:07 AM
I suggest for conductivity use just a little sulfuric acid. Often in science labs they use it to demonstrate hydrolosis. It increases the flow of electric very well when added to water.

McGuyver
May 24th, 2003, 10:46 PM
If your planning on putting sulfuric acid in your solution, you'll have to use acid-resistant materials to make the squirt gun. Probably easier just to use NaCl. I made a sweet stun gun in power tech. class that generates about 200,000 volts. It uses two small gas engine magnetos for the main step-up transformer. I may try this gun idea, using some kind of backpack design. Like, two of those fertilizer sprayers in a backpack hooked up to the leads of my stun gun. The nozzle part off the fertilizer sprayer is almost always metal so it would be perfect. Mine is brass. The two nozzle/trigger assembly could be mounted side-by-side and then rigged so only one trigger operates both nozzles at the same time.

Also, has anyone tried the deal with the NaCl stream out of a tesla coil? I don't think it will work the way everyone thinks. I built a decent tesla coil awhile ago. 400,000 volts (12 inch spark) and when you take a wire off the top off the coil (where discharge happens) to more than a couple feet away you won't get anything out of the wire. I believe it has to do with the magnetic fields of the secondary and primary coils. The discharge can only occur within a few feet from the secondary and primary coils. If someone can explain this better, please do.

YayItGoBoom!
October 13th, 2003, 06:15 PM
I feel very noobish dragging this old topic out but better than starting a new one. So heres the idea. Electricity and electromagnetism are essentially the same, so to solve the problem of guidance you need....a magnetic field (duh). A setup for a coil gun or ion gun would be ideal. With a regular coil gun set up, only about 0.1% of the energy from the capacitors transfers to the projectile. You route the discharge from the first capacitor bank to the spark gap and primary coil of the Tesla. The secondary coil would likely be in a cylindrical shape with the larger magnetic coil or Ion gun around that (a cylinder inside a cylinder) with a crapload of insulation in between. When the device is fired, the first magnetic coil generates a directional magnetic field (thing EMP, though I still haven't figured out how to direct it, but I sure wouldn't want to get it near my brain cells), then the primary coil generates the charge in the secondary coil. The spark flies from the tip of the secondary and is directed by the magnetic fields to the target. The other idea is to use a stream of negative ions fired circularly as to form a "tube" of electrons. Like charges repel, so the bolt would be guided through the center of the tube.

grendel23
October 14th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Your post implies that a coil gun projects a directional magnetic field, I don't belive this is the case. The intense magnetic field is internal to the coil gun, and while there would be some flux around the coil, it would drop off rapidly with distance, probably by the inverse square law.

The idea of the circular beam of negative ions would also be problematic, the beam would quickly diverge due to electrostatic forces. There would be one way to do it, that would be a very intense laser with the proper wavelength to ionize a channel in the air, then send your high voltage down the channel, but if you have a laser like that, you don't need the tesla coil.:D

Tuatara
October 14th, 2003, 07:14 PM
Yayitgoboom : You desperately need to visit the library and borrow some books on electromagnetics:rolleyes:

grendel23: the laser thing has been done. The laser used was an argon chloride excimer laser, 193nm wavelength, creating a path of ionised oxygen. It is possible to do this with a fairly small laser, then deliver a massive electrical discharge down the ionised air channel - no need for a massive laser!

YayItGoBoom!
October 15th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Coil gun wasn't the right word, umm basically what you would need is a device that creates a directional EMP, like the argon laser idea, or a microwave pulse. I had wanted to test this idea out, but the long range magnetic field idea sounds way too improbable. And I doubt a laser pointer will cut it. Perhaps a microwave emitter attached to an amplifier and directing dish (like those directional electronics scramblers or the military pain beam - basically long range microwave). Thats risky itself, mess up the director and I'll be done over like leftovers :eek: .