View Full Version : US military have made a phaser!!! - Archive File

megalomania
May 24th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Fattony
posted 03-14-2001 11:17 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've only read some vague reports about initial tests and stuff but it sounds good. It uses focussed EM waves to rapidly heat the targets skin. Which I thought sounded like a microwave. I then thought "hmm? I could tear apart a microwave and use the emitter and some Lead to make a long range ignition system. I'm working on it and was wondering if any of you knew about Microwave ovens??
------------------
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil. For I am it...... With the Lord as your shepherd beware me, for I am the wolf.....

PYRO500
posted 03-15-2001 10:07 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I made one, they will destroy praticly any transistorised equipment in the path of the beam I have some pictures but I am having trouble posting them. you can see them on the front page of my site at

http://www.geocities.com/pyro2000us/

[This message has been edited by PYRO500 (edited March 15, 2001).]

Colza
posted 03-16-2001 08:50 PM
That sounds kinda like an EMP. Has anyone experimented with EMP grenades or just EMP in general?

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 03-17-2001 10:31 AM
That's HPM (High Power Microwave), not EMP. EMP is a short, very powerful pulse of maybe only a hundred cycles, HPM is in bursts of much greater length, but less power.

PYRO500
posted 03-17-2001 12:40 PM
yes, mine is high power microwave, it outputs microwaves at every other cycle on a 60 hz wave, withc is 30 pulses a second
it is really simple, it just is a microwave magnetron with a diode, capacitor and a BIG unlimited current transformer. I managed to use all the parts from one microwave, even the blower. but it gets VERY hot and will sometimes trip circuit breakers after being on for only 4 min. I need to get a good variac and a bettter em field strength meter for this

c0deblue
Frequent Poster
posted 03-17-2001 02:03 PM
heheh, not to mention effective shielding for your more important "bits".

PYRO500
posted 03-17-2001 04:29 PM
it is directional, I never stand in fornt of it while it is on. I can measure the microwave fields with a voltmeter probe I have that has lots of coils of wire inside, and a small circuit I am in the safe zone, my death ray pegs the meter when it's in the beam otherwise, nothing

c0deblue
Frequent Poster
posted 03-17-2001 07:57 PM
j/k Pyro, I'm sure you know not to get in front of that thing.
A question though. The picture you posted shows the magnetron/magnet/coil assembly (and all other parts) exactly as used in a conventional microwave oven. Wave propagation from a MW source mounted in this way will be almost hemispherical, that is, not very directional at all. Have you experimented with a waveguide or horn to narrow and concentrate the beam?

A problem which may be causing excessive heating and high current draw is the absence of an effective load. Prolonged unloaded operation at high output levels will quickly destroy most transmitting tubes - and klystrons/magnetrons are no exception.

A note on the original topic: From what I understand, the gizmo developed by the Army for offensive use is a very high power, highly directional millimeter wave device. While a microwave oven operates at a frequency of 2.45 GHz, millimeter wave frequencies are in the band 30 GHz to 300 GHz - a completely different animal.

[This message has been edited by c0deblue (edited March 17, 2001).]

PYRO500
posted 03-17-2001 10:01 PM
I now have a grounded copper flange on the insulating part of the tip of the magnetron.
as for sophistication and making it run at another frequency I like it the way it is it is simple and it works. the beam is about an inch wide and I want to make a better more concentrated waveguide other than just crimped copper pipe but it cant touch the tip of the megnetron and i think I need to get the waveguide the right hiegth. I dont really care if the thing burns out beacuse I can get spare parts at a surplus store nearby, but first I would just got to the dump and get another microwave. I want to get some high capacity capicitors and some gell cell batteries for a portable version. as for the heat, all microwave magnetrons put out alot of heat, but microwaves use that heat also to cook the food, that is what the fan is for. the transformer I have will put out 2000 volts at a half an amp! that is some serious wattage! that will easily fry you and kill you in a heart beat (your last) microwave transformers can melt glass with their hot arcs

Fattony
posted 03-19-2001 10:02 PM
I know but I meant that hearing about the phaser made me think of a microwave weapon.
------------------
As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil. For I am it...... With the Lord as your shepherd beware me, for I am the wolf.....

richl261
Frequent Poster
posted 04-18-2001 10:05 AM
i read somewhere that someone made a Phaser by sending eletricity down a laser beam......fiction?

PYRO500
posted 04-18-2001 04:21 PM
thatdepends on what your idea of a phaser is

richl261
Frequent Poster
posted 04-19-2001 02:47 PM
I dont know, but I wonder if its possible..?

The Bastard
posted 04-19-2001 06:05 PM
I read in New Scientist a while back that they made a proper phaser, as i understood it neway,it sent electricity down two paths of ionised molecules or something.Shoulda payed more attention in my Physics lessons I guess.The actual "phaser" thing was about the size of a kitchen table they said.

Machiavelli
Frequent Poster
posted 04-20-2001 05:26 AM
Apart from using em radiation there are several "phasers" similar in design to an Air-Taser. Pathways for conducting electricity are
wires, shot out from the taser
+ cheap, light weight
- low range, works only at line of sight, one shot device

electrolyte fluid streams, look here:
http://theforum.virtualave.net/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000150.html
+ can go over obstacles, multi shot, cheap
- low range although higher than wire devices, bulky electrolyte tank for longer operation

uv-laser beams. 2 laser beams are used to create channels of ionized air which conduct electricity.
+ long range, multi shot, precise targeting possible
- uv-lasers are damn expensive and need a bulky power supply, works only at line of sight

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 04-30-2001 02:24 PM
If you get a high power pulsed CO2 laser, then it'll be able to ionise a long thin cylinder of air which you could send electrical currents down. But unless you send a lightning bolt down it there's no point, because the laser beam will destroy just about anything by itself!

stickfigure
May 25th, 2003, 01:11 PM
These posts are pretty old, before I was a member but sence they are here I'll add my 2-bits. I know of two larger Phaser/Laser miltary projects. One is the ABL Airborne Laser which is mounted in the nose of a 747, this weapon system will be able to hit missles up to 400 miles away and even engage ground targets. The next is an SBL Spaceborne Laser that will be kind of like the SOL from Akira. A friend of mine worked on a project of outfitting and transporting an F-15A test Aircraft for weapon trials. The test is to have a running F-15 in the test range and engaged by the Laser at like 30 miles up. I'm not sure if the effect they are looking for is total destruction or just a local EMP type effects like scrambling, destruction of electrical and avionic systems. I saw some cool pics of the F-15 being picked up by a Marine CH-53 to be taken out to the test range at Eglin.

zeocrash
May 25th, 2003, 01:46 PM
the microwave device refered to in the original post is not what you would really call a phaser, it is very bulky and is operated from the back of a humvee. so i wouldn't worry about seeing local cops set "phasers to kill".

Tuatara
May 26th, 2003, 11:38 PM
The airborn laser project is based on the COIL (chemical oxygen/iodine laser), which puts out around 40kW at a wavelength of 3um. It is a heat energy weapon, not EMP.

Laser Tasers use an argon chloride excimer laser, 193nm wavelength, which ionises the oxygen in the air to create the conductive path. You would need an insanely powerful CO2 laser to achieve the same effect.