View Full Version : re-usable roman candle? - Archive File

megalomania
May 24th, 2003, 02:46 PM
ASSGREMLIN
posted 03-21-2001 10:43 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, has anyone seen the ads for that assblowing movie "adventures of joe dirt" or some shit like that? boy do i want to shit on the face of whoever thought that one up..
anyway, i was doing homework with the TV on when an ad for that dick-in-the-ass movie came on, and the word 'fireball' drew my eyes away from my oh-so-interesting geometry homework: on the screen was some hillbilly with a pistol-looking thing, which apparantly shot fireballs. was that bullshit? I was thinking that it might be a flare gun, or something.

Does anyone know how a flaregun works? howbout a roman candle? could a reusable/semi-auto roman candle be made in a pistol configuration? could it be the fireball gun at: http://www.amazing1.com/fire.htm ? does anyone know what that is and how to make it?

PS does anyone have that "magic chemical" book?

FadeToBlackened
Frequent Poster
posted 03-21-2001 11:11 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roman candles are a few charges of some propellant (usually some kind of BP) and some stars (chunks of colorful compositions) separated by something not so flammable as bp. Sawdust would probably work. This is all in a tube which has a fuse running the length of it. It burns down to each charge, ignites it, burns past the sawdust (or whatever), ignites the next charge, and so on.

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted 03-21-2001 11:33 PM
yep, so just stick some type of handgrip onto a commercial roman candle. 10 shot would probabbly be best, the 100 shot wouold be too big and expensive.
aim and light. he he, shoot feral cats, but remember you have only a second or two between each shot.

PYRO500
posted 03-22-2001 09:11 PM
what about 4 roman candles stacked on top of each othe in a 2 by 2 pattern. then attach them with fuse to eachother

ASSGREMLIN
posted 03-24-2001 04:45 PM
howabout a pistol configuration, with a "clip" which would be another barrel above it, so the homemade roman candle stars (ammo) would fall into the barrel. then, in the grip there would be a battery, and an filiment that would light a layer of match powder around the ammo.

Sgt_Starr
Frequent Poster
posted 03-25-2001 01:37 AM
Well if you did that you would need somthing like a hopper for a paintball gun and you would need some kind of sliding bolt to put the star into firing position this way it wouldnt blow your whole hopper when you hit the ignition....now to get the match powder/flash powder into play. hmmmm. you could do it manually or even better....instead of a gravity fed magizine like a hopper why not make a nice sized hole in the star then have a thin layer of per say tape or epoxy covering the hole although you would need to shape the charge a little more elongated then a round star (so the magizine would work easier) and have your action have a spark gap that is drivin into the hole filled with Flash powder then when the trigger is pulled you have a variable auto roman candle..but this might be a little to much work for just that (considering its just about the same as the G-11 and it isnt verry effective but its fun ass hell! hehe) Just thought I'd put that over-a-drink ideal out there
------------------
"Oh Sh".::BOOM:(later
in front of saint peter))
"it"

[This message has been edited by Sgt_Starr (edited March 25, 2001).]

ASSGREMLIN
posted 03-29-2001 12:56 AM
Whats a G-11?

zaibatsu
Frequent Poster
posted 03-29-2001 01:08 PM
A gun made by Heckler and Koch, i think it was electrically fired.
------------------
Handguns don't kill people... Half as well as full-auto
Visit me at www.surf.to/eliteforum

Frosty
posted 04-03-2001 04:30 PM
Alright time to contribute my one cent. You could have like a tube with a grill lighter at the end and the two wires are inside the tube, and you could pour some blackpowder the put your star in. The Spark would light the blackpowder and shoot your star. It would be slow loading but it still "could" work.

Anthony
posted 04-03-2001 04:57 PM
I've found that the spark from a piezo electric ignitor won't set off BP, or a stungun.

Frosty
posted 04-03-2001 05:08 PM
I was afraid someone would say that. Perhaps a small amount of flash powder, would the spark set that off?

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 04-03-2001 05:54 PM
the problem is getting the spark to pass through the gap with the BP in the way. the only way i can see a spark setting off BP, or a flash mixture for that matter, is if the gap was placed just above the pile so the spark just barely grazed the pile.
------------------
...Æ

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted 04-03-2001 08:08 PM
The problem with using flash is its power, the star may go out or not even light, and your tube would eventually rupture.
We use to hold roman candles in our hands and shoot the stars at each other, man am I glad I still have both eyes.

Frosty
posted 04-05-2001 10:15 PM
Well that idea sucks and brings me to the conclusion that the best thing to do is make a handle on a roman candle.

SATANIC
May 24th, 2003, 11:45 PM
I know this topic is old, but since it's up...

Not long after this was first up, a friend and I had some old roman candles left, so we set up targets in the back yard, went back inside, up to his bedroom on the second floor, and let rip. We had a dozen or so (ten shots per candle) each, but it only took us the first few candles to shred the paper targets, after which we tested the flamability of the shrubbery, a treehouse, and the rabbit hutch, which was covered in corrougated iron, which led to the stars flying at odd angles in every direction off the iron. :D

The ricochets looked exactly like tracer rounds, though the multiple coloured ones looked a bit less so. You don't need any handle on them, by the time it burns down to the last star, the heat is just coming through at the bottom of the casing. (assuming you're holding it at the base, away from the firing end.)

I actually read in an Australian restricted publication 'smart soldier' , which is oriented towards learning from tactical experience, through quaterly issues, detailing previous encounters / combat situations from around the globe. (a good read too)

Anyways, it seems the russians (the article was a russian underground warfare against mujahadeen in afganistan) used roman candles as a tool for clearing underground caves etc. They have a certain signal flare which is basically a roman candle, though I assume more reliable:rolleyes: , which also emits a piercing shreik as the stars travel. They hold the flare ahead of them, and basically anyone in the path, while not hurt by the low velocity stars, is scared witless, and comes quietly, or a t least tries to get away, giving away their position and allowing the russians to engage them.

The other section of the article is about destroying whole underground complexes using explosives counter set, so as to produce a shock wave that hits each other and creates a massive gas bubble / shockwave effect throughout the entire cave that effectively crushes anyone inside. I forget exactly how it's done, but i'm trying to find the book. if anyone's interested, I'll scan that section, as soon as I can borrow a scanner.