View Full Version : windrunner - Archive File

megalomania
May 24th, 2003, 02:50 PM
frostfire
Frequent Poster
posted 04-02-2001 05:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hi, I believe some folks here have access to firearms (btw, maddoc, how do you get firearms as foreigner or permanent resident in USA?), I 'm interested in .50 Cal weapon and see the forum for a while
Is anyone ever shoot an XM-107 Windrunner? How's the performance and what does it take to be permitted to buy it?

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 04-02-2001 09:13 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well if the XM-107 Windrunner is a .50 cal rifle and you live in the US, all you need is to be 18 with no extenuating circumstances that say you can't own a firearm. like being on probation, felony convictions. shit like that. if you are 18+ and have a clean record in respect to felonies then you are all set.

correction, if you live in the US and you are a US citizen, then, coupled with the 18 + rule, you can easily pick up the rifle.
------------------
...Æ

[This message has been edited by CragHack (edited April 02, 2001).]

frostfire
Frequent Poster
posted 04-04-2001 02:32 PM
whattt?
wait a minute.......isn't there a law that regulate purchase of assault weapon...
I follow the news, like in California some folks have to give up their weapons cause it's considered assault rifle and eheh,
Windrunner is considered even an anti material weapons which mean it's a pure military stuff...
Are you sure with that regulation? and say to which state does it valid...(hope it's GA or FLA)
if everything is set, I'll start saving to 8000 dolar and I'll be out shooting empty can from 2500 yards, wohoooo

PYRO500
posted 04-04-2001 03:13 PM
I do not know of any laws banning assult weapons, just of laws restricting inporting them.

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 04-04-2001 03:43 PM
oh i didn't relize that a .50 cal rifle was considered an assualt weapon. i have seen episodes of 60 minutes (great show by the way i love it) dealing with the government and how they want to resrict .50 cal sales and how gun clubs that have .50 cal ranges say this is outrages. i didn't know though there were laws on the books classifying this as an assualt weapon. i actually don't think it is. a bolt action single shot .50 cal weapon i think is just a regular old rifle. in which case my above post is correct. if in fact it is classified as an assualt weapon you might have some trouble.
one other thing, the laws dealing with assualt weapons have to do with the importation, manufacturing, sale and ownership of weapons classified as such. not just import. and in california they have some of the strictist laws conserning this. these laws are one reason you can't make clips that hold over 10 shots. you can buy them, just not make them.

------------------
...Æ

frostfire
Frequent Poster
posted 04-04-2001 04:03 PM
hmmm, I am quite lame in weaponry....
so when a rifle is single bolt action there's no way it's classified as an assault weapon even though it has something to do with military purposes (sniper & anti material )?....
Here's the article concerning the size of the ammo
The Windrunner XM-107 Tactical is a bolt-action, magazine-fed rifle chambered for the Browning Machine Gun cartridge (.50 Cal. BMG or 12.7x99mm NATO)

geez, so it is a bolt action rifle...guess I'll give a shot...wish me luck
Ah, here's a .50 cal under fire from the Barret brand homepage

Barrett Under Attack!!
Fresh on the heels of the California assault rifle law successfully prohibiting the sale
of our M82A1 semi-automatic rifle, several U.S. Senators led by the notorious Dianne
Feinstein are now beating the war drums on the latest perceived "threat" to national
security--.50 caliber rifles. Both MSNBC and Dateline NBC are preparing
"documentaries" on the .50 caliber rifles, highlighting their power and availability.

Why these events are taking place is easy to understand. Following their success
stories in banning or severely restricting what they have now dubbed "Saturday Night
Specials" and "Assault Rifles," these left-wing politicians and media are now
attempting to create a "Powerful Weapons" category. Following their familiar pattern,
these legislators and media first categorize a type of gun as being particularly
dangerous and unnecessary for civilians to possess. They proceed to demonize this
"category" so that restrictive legislation can be passed against it. When they succeed,
they never look back at the damage they have done to an industry or innocent lives,
they just move on looking for another category to restrict. Besides .50 caliber it is
possible that other calibers may be affected by the proposed legislation.

Although their claims as to the power of .50 caliber rifles are amusing, their intent is
not. Here is some of what they say about our rifles:

Capable of shooting through a steel manhole cover that is 3 ½ inches thick. (If a
manhole cover existed this thick, it would weigh 475 pounds. Has anyone ever seen one
of these? Who would lift it?)

Accurate at ranges of 4-miles. (Are they talking about 1. A Cruise missile, 2. A rifle, or 3.
Our patented "BS" indicator? ) (Answer: 1 and 3 are accurate at ranges 4 miles and
beyond.)

Readily available to "children" 18 years old. (You 18-year olds are old enough to die for
your country but those of you diligent enough to save $7,300 for a rifle cannot be trusted
enough to own a Barrett.)

While Barrett rifles may be out of the price range of some children, the General
Accounting Office found them available on the Internet for $30.00 and reported this to
Congress as factual. (If this all weren’t so serious, it would be really funny!!)

Real facts and what you can do:

Rifles in the "powerful" category have been around for 100 years. In that time, the
number of civilian fatalities or use in a crime has been zero or a number very close to
zero (we are unable to find records of any .50 caliber rifles actually used in crime.)

We’d very much appreciate it if you contacted your senators and congressmen to
advise them you are against this continued assault against the gun industry. More
emphasis prosecuting criminals and less making criminals out of honest,
hard-working people would make our country better and safer for everyone.

Please find the address of your legislator at www.congress.org and voice your
opinion.

[This message has been edited by frostfire (edited April 04, 2001).]

AR-15 Man
Frequent Poster
posted 04-04-2001 07:19 PM
California has some BS gun laws. All the .50 cal banning is to create hype about a "threat to the public" so they can get reelected because they have such concern for public safety. But maybe it is cause they know when they start their tyranny no amount of body guards will stop that gun. Next rifle ban I can see will be "sniper rifles". I also love their distorted facts on this rifle. It isn't that great on personal past a mile because of degrading accuracy. More people die of being vaccinated then by civie .50 cal rifles in the US.

nbk2000
posted 04-04-2001 08:29 PM
http://www.click-stream.com/barrett/M82A1_Intro.ram
------------------
"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them"

Go here to download the NBK2000 website PDF.

Go here to download the NBK2000 videos.

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 04-04-2001 09:54 PM
why not limit .308's? and .30-06's, and .223's? they are all very good sniper tools... this is all BS. they are attacking the .50 cal rifle because they can portray it as a menacing weapon. much more so than the others i listed.
------------------
...Æ

frostfire
Frequent Poster
posted 04-05-2001 11:03 AM
suddenly there's a stir in my mind...
I really like those anti material rifles...
you guys might not like this but I guess I'm starting to agree with the congress guy,
I mean, for some (rich!) spoiled 18 years old boy, .50 cal can be ultimately dangerous (do they sell all kinds of ammo the same way too?)....and with all these tendencies of school shooting, I think it's about time for a change in the firearm law....(sigh*), there goes my windrunner....

Maddoc
posted 04-05-2001 04:31 PM
I buy firearms at gunshows...
However, all of them (except my shotgun for appartment protection) stay with my Uncle (10mins away).

------------------
Whoa, where my fingers?

BaDSeeD
Frequent Poster
posted 04-05-2001 07:10 PM
These gun laws, and irresponsible "kids" that keep shooting up the schools are just ruining everything for the rest of us.
When I was a kid... for my 12th birthday my father gave me a 12 gauge shotgun (it pissed my mother off... but who cares). Remington 870 wingmaster with both barrels and a few boxes of shells. He told me it was mine, let me keep it in my room, didn't put a lock on it, and let me keep the shells for it too. For my 13th birthday, he let me buy a Ruger 10/22 (I used my money, but he signed for it). And when I was 15, I had gotten involved in sporting clays. Kinda hard with a pump gun, and he suprised me with a Remington 1100.

My point of this is, that my father knew that I was responsible enough not to go shooting up my shcool, or neighborhood (city of Buffalo) with the thing. The problem now lies in the parents of these kids that are causing all the problems. I feel that even if the kids die in their little adventures, that the parents should still be partly liable. If they don't have the sense to be able to raise a kid that isn't going to do crap like this.... they should never have had them in the first place.

What we need to do in this country is to raise the level of morals that people hold, not to restrict the hell out of anything dangerous.

------------------
BaDSeeD
Knowledge is the true power, ignorance will bring your demise.

AR-15 Man
Frequent Poster
posted 04-05-2001 07:27 PM
I agree Badseed, My dad gave me an SKS when I was 7. When I was 8 he gave me an AK-47 (SA-85m). They were both within my reach at all times. When I was 12 he gave me an AR-15 and let me keep it in my room. Now all the family rifle expect for my parents bed pistol is under my lock and key. Do I go out and shoot up people? No way!!! Would I ever? Never in a million years! If anything I can't get out of control at people so I won't do something like that. I will only use a gun in self defense when it is the only option I have. Maybe it makes me smarter that I learn other options in confrontions. If it comes down to it will I shoot the SOB that is about to kill me or hurt my family or friends. I wouldn't flinch. I hate when people get a power trip over weapons. If kids repected guns (like you all repect explovives) and not get a power trip from them (like Kewl Bomerz with explosives) the world would be a better place.

HMTD Factory
Frequent Poster
posted 04-06-2001 03:39 AM
The best way to educate people is to give them responsibilities, not to keep away from.
Tragedy can not be prevented by locking up
powerful tools.

I am the first person in my entire family history to legally own firearms.

Bullets are for dangerous games, mean people
you met in your everyday life only deserve bayonet poking, or bad luck they draw onto themselves.

BaDSeeD
Frequent Poster
posted 04-06-2001 04:46 AM
I don't want to get off on a rant here (sounds like Denis Miller) but if you ever want to piss me off...... just get on the pro side of gun control.
I forgot to mention... when I was 16, I asked my parents to get me a lifetime membership to the NRA for my Christmas present. Well.. they did, and I have been an active member ever since.

These anti gun bastards make me furious with their ignorant, naive ideas about a "perfect world". They think that making guns harder to get with all their laws and regulations is going to lessen crime. Fat chance. Does anyone think that a criminal about to try his hand at an armed robbery is going to wait his seven days for a handgun? Or wait for state approval on a pistol permit? Not a chance... he's just going to buy one out of the trunk of some crack heads car. In the meantime.... some guy that is having his family and own life threatened, has to wait to get one legally.

The fact is... that our criminal punishment system is a joke. Criminals could give a damn about going to jail for their crimes, because they know they'll be out in short order, and probably be living better than a lot of people while in jail to boot. The only thing that does frighten criminals, is that the prey for their burglaries, rapes, and murders might be armed. The state of Rhode Island had one of the highest rates of crime of any state at one time. Well some bonified genius in their political machine passed a law that all home owners in the state had to possess a firearm in their home. If the people didn't like guns, or had children and didn't want one around... no law said they had to have ammo for it. Well guess what happened? The crime rate dropped over 300%. This is the biggest fear of criminals, and the biggest deterrent. All this legislation does is keep firearms out of the law abiding populous that are simply trying to defend their family and property. Yes your right, the police ARE there to protect and serve. But they can't be everywhere at once. There is no way to have that kind of man-power on a police force. In most cases, it is up to private citizens to enforce the law, and the police to clean up the mess afterwards. The old saying is still true today, "police get there in time to make the report".

And that stupid "Brady Bill" (who'd she have to blow to get that passed?) is ridiculous. Magazine bans on all weapons to reduce crimes? Well... crime wouldn't be a problem if the public was armed! A limit of ten rounds might be an advantage if someone in the crowd had a weapon. But the entire second that it takes for a magazine change means nothing if everyone has only their fists to fight with! Personally I think that someone should beat Sarah Brady to death with a 2x4 and see if one of her relatives tries to ban lumber.

Sorry guys, really getting off on a rant here, and off topic, but this really pisses me off. Not to mention it should probably be in the opinions section (have mercy on me moderators).

I should mention the sign I had made in my window. "Go ahead and break in. I could use the target practice, and my dogs could use the meal".

stickfigure
May 25th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Commenting on this thread:

whattt?
wait a minute.......isn't there a law that regulate purchase of assault weapon...
I follow the news, like in California some folks have to give up their weapons cause it's considered assault rifle and eheh,
Windrunner is considered even an anti material weapons which mean it's a pure military stuff...
Are you sure with that regulation? and say to which state does it valid...(hope it's GA or FLA)
if everything is set, I'll start saving to 8000 dolar and I'll be out shooting empty can from 2500 yards, wohoooo

Your right in the fact that anit-material weapons sounds like it pure military as it is a way for the military to justify it in LOAC terms. It's actually illegal to target an individual with a .50 cal. now if you hit the radio on their back, Oh, Well. But you can shoot into a group of people with a Ma, Duece that's fine too. This is one of those laws the is generally ignored by most militarys.

As for the wind-runner classified as an Assault Rifle, you have to look at sec. 922r of the Brady Bill, does it fit this desription?

'(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--

`(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

`(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

`(iii) a bayonet mount;

`(iv) a flash suppresser or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppresser; and

'(v) a grenade launcher;

If not then no it is not an Assault Rifle and in the eyes of the BATF is legal for any citizen who is 18 years of age and has no disqualifiing legal problems.

Now in CA there may be more restrictions like not offending any Lesbians is San Fran with your Man sized Tool He, he ;)

Barrett even sells a pedestal mount for your car or truck.