View Full Version : Fuel to gas ratio - Archive File

megalomania
May 24th, 2003, 02:52 PM
phyrelord
Frequent Poster
posted 04-05-2001 10:58 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was planning on trying to make a sort of FAE and had planned on starting simple. First of all i found that gas is supposed to be mixed with air so that it makes up 6% of the whole (i think that's what it was correct me if i'm wrong.) My next challenge was to vaporize the gas and i thought by pressurizing it it would become more thoroughly mixed with the air. And of course then there is the ignition which will be a breeze. This will act like the fuel air mixture in car engines, but the container won't hold the pressure, thus sending shrapnel and other shit in all directions as well as leaving one hell of a shockwave. Any ideas or comments?

Anthony
posted 04-06-2001 02:48 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sounds like combustable gas mixture in a bottle charge thingy. If I understand correctly you want to have like a spudgun, but the gas will explode the conatiner rather propell a spud. This wouldn't be a FAE as an FAE disperses a fuel into the atmosphere by means of a bursting charge and ignites it.
Gas bottles temd to be very low powered because if the bottle is 1000ml, only 60ml of that is combustable gas and such a small amount doesn't contain much energy at all.

phyrelord
Frequent Poster
posted 04-06-2001 08:12 PM
that is because most of the time the fuel is not mixed with the air in the correct proportions. When this is achieved the effect is pretty powerful, but getting that perfect ratio is what i'm having a problem with. I understand that FAE's disperse the fuel but in a way this is kind of an FAE in a controlled environment. Here's what i'm thinking- 6ml of gasoline to 47ml or cc of Oxygen and pressurized to like 2 psi so the amount of air doubles but not the gas so it becomes 6ml of gas to 94ml or cc of oxygen. Does that sound right

c0deblue
Frequent Poster
posted 04-07-2001 02:08 PM
Mixing any kind of petrochemical with oxygen is dangerous and unpredictable. There's a good reason oxygen regulators carry the caution "Use No Oil". Failure to follow this advice has resulted in some pretty catastrophic accidents.

"I told you some of those welders were using oil on their regulators."

Anthony
posted 04-07-2001 07:04 PM
I belive that millitary FAEs use nitrated fuels that are high explosives in themselves and detonate in the dispersed cloud.
Using oxygen is another matter! Your average coke bottle can hold pressures exceeding 150psi. Filling a 1L bottle with 1L of propane and then adding 15L of oxygen should produce a decent blast. Those ratios are probably far from ideal but it's just and example. Filling could be done simply by a schrader valve fitted into the cap of the bottle.