View Full Version : pellet guns - Archive File

megalomania
May 24th, 2003, 02:53 PM
skunkdude
posted 04-06-2001 12:55 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
anyone got any ideas how i can make special ammo for my .177 or .22 calibre air rifles?

Anthony
posted 04-06-2001 02:28 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you mean like exploding pellets, I remeber at least one large thread about it a while ago. Try the search facility.

Frosty
posted 04-06-2001 03:19 PM
Zero had a nice idea(gotta give him the credit). You could make paintballs(well not really balls). You could take apart a pill capsule that fits in your air rifle and take out the powder , line the inside with super glue and fill it with paint.
[This message has been edited by Frosty (edited April 06, 2001).]

endotherm
Frequent Poster
posted 04-06-2001 04:50 PM
for pellet guns, you should try making small steel pellets, like just a small little hard metal plug that fits the caliber, and you should also try sharpening the heads to a needle point in a sander or lathe, The reason why i say this is because the pellets i have seen are always lead, but if you have a low end pellet gun, that shoots at lower velocities , the sharp hard pellet would have more penetration than the soft lead

Anthony
posted 04-06-2001 06:52 PM
Many air rifles are not designed to shoot steel projectiles so if it actually engaged with the rifling lands then it would probably damage them. If the projectile was too large then it might just get jammed in the barrel. Don't forget that steel BBs are slightly smaller than .177" so they are probably designed to only touch the top of the rifling lands and not engage with them.

skunkdude
posted 04-12-2001 06:21 PM
I bought a blank gun the other day and thought it was pretty cool. It was pretty cheap (police magnum look-a-like), only cost 15 quid but thats not the point.
The blanks it fires are .22 in calibre. As many of you are aware bullets and cartriges use primers to set off the main charge. Because the blanks for my pistol are so small(.22) and cheap, they do not employ any kind of primer and just rely on a small precussion sensetive charge to make the 'bang'.
The first thing I found out is that these blanks make great catapult ammo, just aim at somthing hard and you get a nice bang.
The secound is if you take an air rifle pellet which is quite hollow (I use 'super points')and fill it with as much powder from the blanks as you can, you are left with an explosive pellet. The way I emptyed the blanks was by simply squeezing them with some plyers untill the opening was big enough to pour the powder out.You can easily stop the powder from escaping by carfully adding a blob of melted wax to the end of the pellet and pushing it firmly with your thumb after it is full of powder.
Then all you do is load up the pellet (I put it in backwards), aim and fire. I have personaly tried and tested this pellet.
Have fun!