View Full Version : Blowgun ranges - Archive File

megalomania
May 24th, 2003, 02:57 PM
IronWarlock
Frequent Poster
posted 04-10-2001 03:18 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i have a 3 foot, .40 caliber blowgun and i can only get about a 50 foot shot out of it if im incredibly lucky, any tips on making some farther shots?
------------------
back and better than ever

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 04-10-2001 03:31 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
50 feet sounds pretty damn good to me. i have consistently gotten darts to go about that far and stick pretty hard into wood.(with a B. gun with about the same demensions) i was proud of myself. how heavy is your projectile? it could be too heavy or not heavy enough.
------------------
...Æ

IronWarlock
Frequent Poster
posted 04-10-2001 03:45 PM
first off, bbguns have more compression, and im using standard blowgun darts you can buy anywhere, im trying to find some other types that i can use though, any ideas?
------------------

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 04-10-2001 04:30 PM
who said anything about a bb gun? i said B. gun, i think you were mistaken. if you are using the standard blowgun darts i think you have the best ones. i would suggest though, you make a heavier one just to expirement. expecially if you have a nice hard blow. (no fucking pun intended, but it does really fit huh )
------------------
...Æ

IronWarlock
Frequent Poster
posted 04-10-2001 05:31 PM
oh, sorry in that case, i did put a higher compression mouthpiece on, so i think thats whats making me shoot farther, but im also experimenting with different darts, ill post some examples when i have the time.
------------------

HMTD Factory
Frequent Poster
posted 04-10-2001 05:46 PM
If the air-seal valve on the dart can be discarded like a sabot after the dart leaves the muzzle, it's gonna go farther.

IronWarlock
Frequent Poster
posted 04-10-2001 05:52 PM
good luck that happening, the way the dart is set up the cone neds to be on or the dart will take off on its own venue
------------------

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 04-10-2001 05:59 PM
try wraping a cotton ball tightly around the end of a scewer and see how well that fairs.
note: don't use any type of string and it should come off after it exits the barrel.

------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back
And, Shoot'em In The Dark"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

Pyro
Frequent Poster
posted 04-10-2001 09:56 PM
First off, if you want power in blowguns, you need to get a .62 caliber blowgun.I have shot(and owned some) 36" .40's,36" .50's,and 2 piece 82" .62.With the .40 cal i got about 50 feet(normal mouth piece),but this was after 3 months of practice and a certain technique of blowing which is much more effective.With the .50 cal i got about 75 feet(another normal mouth piece) also using the blowing technique.With my .62 cal when it's 60" i can get about 110 feet(the mouthpiece is quite unique,but is still considered "normal"),and if you are my size you have to use this technique.I'm a pretty big guy (compartively anyways),I'm 5'7 150 pounds(i weight lift,alot) and with a diaphragm of my size these are good ranges.If your a bigger guy(6'2,210 pounds for example) you should expect ranges alot higher.There are many arguements about the weight of darts and how if .40 cal darts were as heavy as .62's they'd fly just as far but i say bullshit(out of my 2 years of experience that is).I consider .40 cal just novelties and .50's small game/target use.When you get a .62 you really feel powerfull(i recall a time when i shot through 7 ply wood and an inch into a tree!)because these are for serious hunting.Before you consider buying another i hope you take the above into consideration because that's what they are,and that's what there used for.If you want to know anything else(be it that "technique" i was talking about or anything else) just ask.Also,check out www.blowgunsnw.com for all your blowgun needs,seriously.-Pyro

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 04-11-2001 12:34 AM
5'7" 150 is nopt that big. unless you have lean muscle mass and even still.
------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

IronWarlock
Frequent Poster
posted 04-11-2001 04:45 AM
www.blowgunsnw.com is a reliable site, i have bought things online for my blowgun (mega deluxe kit, yet i have no idea how the sight works and that blomatic sucks)but anyway, you say a .62 caliber huh? i was looking at a few of these and i was wondering if i should go with the 3' or 4' model, but im prolly going to go with the 3', anyway, .62's are that damn good? give me some more info on it thanks.
------------------

IronWarlock
Frequent Poster
posted 04-11-2001 04:48 AM
www.blowgunsnw.com is a reliable site, i have bought things online for my blowgun (mega deluxe kit, yet i have no idea how the sight works and that blomatic sucks)but anyway, you say a .62 caliber huh? i was looking at a few of these and i was wondering if i should go with the 3' or 4' model, but im prolly going to go with the 3', anyway, .62's are that damn good? give me some more info on it thanks.
------------------

IronWarlock
Frequent Poster
posted 04-11-2001 04:56 AM
godammit, i hate it when that happens, sorry guys, anyway, pyro, tell me about your breathing technique please
------------------

Anthony
posted 04-11-2001 04:41 PM
Human lungs can only develop about 4psi of pressure but the volume of gas is very high. So the larger the calibe, the larger the cross sectional area of the projectile which means more force on it. If you had a dart with sabot of 1"sq. cross section, it would recive 4 pounds of thrust and the longer the pipe, the longer it will accelerate.

Pyro
Frequent Poster
posted 04-11-2001 05:41 PM
Yes, .62 cal's are that damn good.I would highly suggest after you learn the breathing technique that you get a longer version than 3'(60" reccommended).Anthony is correct, the bigger the sabot on the dart,generally, the more power.Also, the longer the actual blowgun is makes it more powerful because it picks up more velocity as it goes down the barrel.But,there is a drop off point, which is at about i'd say about 7 feet.Anything longer than that and it's just not gonna help(i think,that's just my experience).
Anyway,the technique takes about a week of blowing everyday to master.It increases power i'd say about 40%(sometimes more,on .62's this technique helps atleast 70%).Ok, the first thing you do is take in the biggest breathe you can put the tip of your tongue and touch it to the roof of your mouth. Then make an airseal between your tongue and the roof of your mouth(it doesn't really have to be an airseal,just close)and release by hurling your tongue forward,letting the air be it's propellant.It helps to kind of curl your tongue back to get a good seal.I found that when switching from smaller cal's to the .62 it hurts your jaw and back of your mouth because of the extra strain but once you conquer this(think of it as conditioning) you get more power on .62's and alot more power on smaller cal's(this may just because of the technique,or the technique+the extra strain of the .62 cal?).I haven't done enough experimenting to know the answer to that question but either way, you'll get alot more power and control.Once again,if you don't understand any of that, or wanna know more,just ask,i'll be happy to answer.-Pyro

IronWarlock
Frequent Poster
posted 04-12-2001 01:38 AM
well pyro, you have me hooked, im planning on buying a .62 (actually, i have pretty much everything mapped out on blowgunsnw.com second order woohoo!!)but i need to know something, are the 3 foot models like evil or something? i mean, id like to have something i can pretty much whip out and put back,
I dont want some 60" model that i have to put together and break apart know what i mean?
(oh and yes, how exactly do YOU go about aiming a blowgun? my aiming system is pretty accurate but i want some tips)

------------------

Pyro
Frequent Poster
posted 04-12-2001 04:37 PM
I know exactly what you mean by hooked, it happened to me the first time i shot my .62 without hurting my jaw/mouth.
The 3 foot models are far from bad or "evil" it's just, if you want to get serious i would suggest getting something a little longer.You've had your fun with your .40 and your stepping up cal's, why the hell not step up the length?

Well, i don't have any specific type of aiming technique for you, it really is practice,practice, practice.Once you really get the feel for your gun,your darts,and your capabillity's your aiming seems to come into focus. My longest shot with my 60"(that's only one piece of the gun)was about 130' into a 2 feet wide tree. I can hit a 2"X2" square from 15 feet when i practice finatically for a day. Honestly all it is is practice. That is, once you get comfortable with the above.-Pyro

Blowguns are GREAT!

Pyro
Frequent Poster
posted 04-12-2001 11:01 PM
What the hell was that post about>?And if i understand correctly your saying that a 3' .62 cal is no good, which is complete bullshit. Any length, of any caliber is good as long as it carry's out it's purpose. A blowgun like that could prolly shoot 80-100 with practice(alot) and is just fine as long as it works for you. Also, long and skinny doesn't neccessarily mean it's better than short and stout. I'll bet my blowguns that a 3' .62 is better for accuracy and range than a 6 foot .38 cal.This is because the .38's dart only has a small area that is effected by your breathe and even with the added length to increase velocity before it comes out of the muzzle may not compensate.-Pyro

Pyro
Frequent Poster
posted 04-12-2001 11:11 PM
I just remembered something that i used to do all the time. Find a a GNC health store and buy some of their 'veggie caps' for vegetarians that don't eat the gelatin made from horse hooves or whatever. Make sure thaqt they are slightly smaller than your barrel, but not to much smaller. Find the biggest one you can that fits down the sucker. Then, get some sort of impact sensitive LE or HE(i reccommend LE simply because it's generally safer and prolly easier to come by). Take one of your darts and push it into one of the ends of the caps. Then insert as much of your explosive into the cap and close up. All that's left is to shoot it!-Pyro

IronWarlock
Frequent Poster
posted 04-13-2001 02:31 AM
well i decided on the .62 cal 3' model (with a 24" extension of course) and the hunting dart pack, so thanks pyro ill tell you how everything turns out
------------------

Pyro
Frequent Poster
posted 04-13-2001 10:07 AM
Well, i couldn't help put give you another tid bit. On all models of blowguns besides the .62 cal they have plastic connector which suck because they tend to bend the blowgun and let some of the air pressure behind the dart out of little holes. But another reason to prove the .62 is the best, they have metal connectors with no air leaks and since the .62 is much wider in diameter, it's ALOT harder for it to bend.Have fun, and tell me how it goes!-Pyro

Pyro
Frequent Poster
posted 04-14-2001 06:10 PM
I absolutely do not hang out at &totse and you are waving a KeWl flag just mentioning it. I would appreciate it if you do not associate me or anyone else at this forum with &totse.-Pyro

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 04-14-2001 11:51 PM
Pyro have you ever read the Terrorist Hand Book? I have and can tell you that your suggestion comes almost right from it; just so you know?
Note: I am not saying it doesn't work I am just informing you.

------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

Pyro
Frequent Poster
posted 04-15-2001 11:38 AM
Agent Blak, i have never read the terrorist handbook but i have read the A-crapbook.This really does work and i got it from a friend who was the one who got me into blowguns. He showed it to me one day and from then on i was making them.I'm still not sure how safe it is, but i've shot a few 100 of the things and nothing happened to me, although something might and prolly will.-Pyro