View Full Version : re-activating de-activated weapons - Archive File

megalomania
May 24th, 2003, 03:00 PM
kingspaz
Frequent Poster
posted 04-19-2001 05:12 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i'm hoping this is the right place for this topic.
anyways i was wondering whether the deactivated military guns that are sold to military enthusiasts can be reactivated so they work again. has anybody here been successful in doing this?
any replies will be appreciated.

skunkdude
posted 04-19-2001 05:30 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What type of gun?

Aggy
Frequent Poster
posted 04-19-2001 05:31 PM
I've been asking the same question for about a year never get much of a response. You basically have to replace or drill down the barrel and install certain parts like firing pins extractors etc.

kingspaz
Frequent Poster
posted 04-19-2001 05:49 PM
thanks for the replies guys
i'm thinking it would need quite a bit of work to fix it up again because they weld the barrel aswell as removing parts. i think it could be done if you had like a diagram or plans for the gun because you could see whats missing. does anybody know where you could get such plans?

jin
Frequent Poster
posted 04-19-2001 06:47 PM
there was someone called antony micthell who reactivated mac10s and sold them to crime gangs.but he was a qualified engineer who reactivated them by fitting a new barrel and breech block.

zaibatsu
Frequent Poster
posted 04-19-2001 07:14 PM
Also you have to take into account the fact that you will also have to be able to get ammo for this gun, which you most likely won't if you live in the uk.

YTS
Frequent Poster
posted 04-20-2001 05:01 PM
ammo isnt a problem just buy inert ammo and it would it would be easy to make live the hard bit would be reactivating a de-act ive got old spec de-acts and the least you would need is a decent lathe revolvers would be easier as you can sleeve them to a lower calibre that would be quite simple?

zaibatsu
Frequent Poster
posted 04-20-2001 05:10 PM
How are you going to make inert ammo live? Sure you can use match head powder for the primers, but what about the propellant? What are you going to use for that? You can't use BP in semi-autos, I doubt it would cycle properally. However, you could use it in a revolver. You could however make your own gun cotton, but how reliable do you think it would be? I'm asking this because of a long-term project I'm dreaming up.
------------------
Handguns don't kill people... Half as well as full-auto
Visit me at www.surf.to/eliteforum

AR-15 Man
Frequent Poster
posted 04-20-2001 05:35 PM
If you were in the US it would be so much easier to buy a STEN kit and get the receiver templates. It also depends on what you are wanting to reactivate.

jin
Frequent Poster
posted 04-20-2001 06:21 PM
you can get 9mm para blanks in the uk which contain smokeless powder and are the same caliber as some submachineguns and pistols.

Anthony
posted 04-20-2001 09:09 PM
I've been looking at some 9mm blanks and I seem to have a choice of regulars and Auto. Are the auto's tapered for use in automatic loading weapons? I'd also think they're filled with smokeless powder so that they don't foul the mechanism if they're intended for automatics.

Bitter
Frequent Poster
posted 04-21-2001 04:00 AM
The biggest problem I have had is finding primer cups/anvils. Where do you get those matches with the white tips from in the UK ? I have never seen any.

Aggy
Frequent Poster
posted 04-21-2001 09:03 AM
In the UK you can buy primers, cases ,bullets and the machine to put them together with out a license but you need a license for the blackpowder.

Bitter
Frequent Poster
posted 04-21-2001 09:34 AM
Are you absoloutely sure about the primers etc ? It's an awful shame about needing a licence for black/smokeless powder, but I reckon buying primers would be great (just think of the fun you could have after extracting the LS/MF out of them).

zaibatsu
Frequent Poster
posted 04-21-2001 12:32 PM
Bitter, are you serious? I guess you just want to know where to find the strike-anywhere matches, for use in impro primers? All the strike-anywhere matches in the UK have red heads, ie: Swan Vestas, Cooks Matches, they are all strike anywhere matches.
I'm pretty sure the white-tip matches are just the same as the strike-anywhere matches we have here. Just look for matches with a strip of glass paper on the side of the box and these will be the right ones.

------------------
Handguns don't kill people... Half as well as full-auto
Visit me at www.surf.to/eliteforum

Bitter
Frequent Poster
posted 04-21-2001 01:23 PM
What I was talking about were those matches with a white tip. I thought the common pink strike-anywhere matches were a mixture of the white 'igniter' part mixed with the red 'fuel' part, rather than them being seperate. These strike-anywhere matches don't seem to be anywhere near as sensitive as anyone claims, so I assumed they were different...

zaibatsu
Frequent Poster
posted 04-21-2001 01:36 PM
Yeah, i know what you mean, but I'm positive it'd work, they ignite from being shot out of a pellet gun (ok, a little bit more powerful than a hammer) or you could use the toy caps from cap guns, just dissolve that in acetone/whatever, and pput that in the primers, i'm sure that they'd be pretty sensitive then. Maybe a little too sensitive though. Check your mail bitter.

zaibatsu
Frequent Poster
posted 04-21-2001 01:37 PM
Yeah, i know what you mean, but I'm positive it'd work, they ignite from being shot out of a pellet gun (ok, a little bit more powerful than a hammer) or you could use the toy caps from cap guns, just dissolve that in acetone/whatever, and pput that in the primers, i'm sure that they'd be pretty sensitive then. Maybe a little too sensitive though. Check your mail bitter.