View Full Version : 12 Gague Flare gun conversion? - Archive File

megalomania
May 24th, 2003, 03:01 PM
DaRkDwArF
Frequent Poster
posted 04-22-2001 08:59 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok I was taking a look on firequest.com and I noticed a 12ga flare gun, it looks very plastic like but I'm wondering if it could hold the pressure of a real shotgun shell, also wondering how much of it is plastic...
any help will be greatly appreciated

PYRO500
posted 04-22-2001 09:32 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hell no! those things are flimsy as hell and flares put out wuss pressure, that would explode in your hand I used to have one and the thing broke on me, (after a couple of shots) you could theoreticly load a shell by cutting off the narrow tip of the flare gun but all I'd shoot is a blank a weak one at that. plus flares dont get that hot for that long so you'd be endangering your gun as it might melt. plus how are you going to deal with the recoil?
if I was gonna get a handheld shotgun I'd get a revolver .410 like the one in three kings. I think it is called a thunder 5

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 04-22-2001 10:21 PM
why not just fire flares. I bet you that shit would hurt plus you can get capsism(OC) rounds for them.

PYRO500
posted 04-22-2001 10:32 PM
I dont think a flare would hurt someone that bad unless it hit them in the face, they are just little light cardboard balls and they dont go that fast they'd probably bounce off of you. I'd consider bearbangers or capsacisum rounds but I'd get a home made wad shooting gun with a brass flare gun the wads travel around 400 fps witch is 100 fps faster than paintball guns and pepper spray can backfire majorly

Mad Dog
posted 04-22-2001 11:40 PM
I was hit by a flare once from 50-60m away, the only result was slight pain and a burn patch on my jacket.
------------------
If you kill someone and it makes the world a better place, is it so wrong?

SofaKing
Frequent Poster
posted 04-23-2001 05:20 AM
Although I tend to agree with the others who have already posted, you could saftly test fire the gun by going to a secluded spot strapping the flaregun to a tree with a string attached to the trigger and get bethind a DIFFERENT tree and pull. I doubt that that would accomplish more than a wasted flare gun but know you know.
------------------
With Knowledge we find Truth - With Truth we find Freedom

DaRkDwArF
Frequent Poster
posted 04-24-2001 06:26 AM
Hmmm perhaps OC rounds are the best best, deal with a group instead of using flares on individuals.
what about replacing the barrel?
would it be able to stand one of NBK's shotgun grenades?
[This message has been edited by DaRkDwArF (edited April 24, 2001).]

EP
Frequent Poster
posted 04-27-2001 01:12 AM
Yu can buy "bird bombs" specially made for 12 gauge flare guns that are for scaring birds. They are basically an m80 that shoots from a flare gun. Im sure a flare gun would blow apart with a real shell.

Bigfoot
May 27th, 2003, 02:34 PM
I checked with firequest a while back--the frame and breech face are steel, the barrel is plastic.

www.guns2u.com sells an all-steel 12 ga flare gun as a self-defense pistol. If you can get one of those thru a friend in Europe, more power to you.

There's a dude in FL selling a .410 adapter for 25mm flare guns, price is about USD$120.

PMJB vol 2 has a quickie about making a mini .22 pistol using a 25mm flare gun, and a couple of adapters. I have seen such a device tested. My own inclination is to use one of the sturdier steel flare guns from Russia, and adapters to fire 9mm Para or .45 ACP. Testing is scheduled for July this year.

A bloke with access to a milling machine could probably duplicate the plastic flare barrel in steel, then use hot loads. Ergonomics will suck. Better to make zip gun with 3/4" pipe, lumber.

Edited to correct the link - Zaibatsu