View Full Version : hollow 12gauge slugs and homemade sabots - Archive File

megalomania
May 24th, 2003, 03:02 PM
phyrelord
Frequent Poster
posted 04-25-2001 09:44 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was going to drill out a slug and then melt the shavings and cover up the hole, but leave it hollow in the center. My question is will this mess the bullet up in flight, what adjustments should i make in the load, and whether or not i can safely add explosives to the shell. Okay on making a sabot with a twelve gauge slug. I want to drill out a hole big enough for a steel rod and then seal it slightly with wax, would this be sufficient in allowing the slug to fall away and the steel bar to continue it's course? Any suggestions are appreciated

Bitter
Frequent Poster
posted 04-26-2001 02:47 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That should work. I don't think the explosive or the rod will screw up the balistics unless you have machined it craply.
How do you intend to keep the sabot stable in flight ?

Anthony
posted 04-26-2001 05:08 PM
Is the sabot supposed to be fixed or discrading? The weight of the slug would give the steel rod great energy retention at long ranges. It would also badly limit the velocity of the steel rod to though.
could you wrap wadding around steel rod to stabilze it in the barrel (with regular wadding behind)? That way the rod would get full energy from load, exit at a very high velocity and the wadding sabot would discard when it left the muzzle giving better areodynamics.

Does your shotgun have a rifled barrel? If it does then homemade sabots of any kind might not work very well. Unless the projectile is centred *exactly* in the centre of the barrel, when the round spins through the air it will corkscrew due to the uneven weight distribution. Although experimental loads are best suited to a smoothbore pipe shotgun anyway!

phyrelord
Frequent Poster
posted 04-26-2001 05:12 PM
i was planning on having it be a discarding sabot. I can probabely come up with a lighter material, would cork work? Just an idea thanks guys for the help. Another thing is, will the explosive go off in the barrel from the heat of the slug or from the sudden jarring. I wanted to make something like a HESH (high explosive squash head) but i don't want to fuck up my barrel or me in doing so.

Bitter
Frequent Poster
posted 04-27-2001 03:44 PM
Try this, it looks interesting :
http://www.corbins.com/slugs.htm