View Full Version : Interesting grenade idea...

skeleton_keys
May 24th, 2003, 07:02 PM
I've managed to get a hold of some .22 caliber short tear gas rounds, to be fired from .22 blank guns. Supposedly, when you pull the trigger it bangs out the explosive charge in the shell, driving an 8 foot long cloud of tear gas from the muzzle. In actuality, because it's a blank gun, the gas tends to go all over the place, due to it not being sealed. I started thinking, what if you took one of those old "cap bombs" that you toss up in the air, and when it comes down and smacks the ground (or any hard surface) it blows up a cap, and tried inserting a tear gas round into it? Do you think it would have enough force to actually blow the round? Any idea how maybe you could rig up something similar that could be thrown and blow several rounds at once on impact? Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

xyz
May 24th, 2003, 09:47 PM
Good luck fitting something the size of a .22 round into a "cap bomb". You will have to make something yourself to put it inside.

SATANIC
May 24th, 2003, 11:22 PM
if they are .22 rounds, (I assume they are also fairly similar in size / shape to fit into a weapon) then all you need is something to hit the primer hard enough, as would the hammer in the pistol. I thought blank guns had the barrel blocked anyway ?

A bb or ball bearing would do, and then all you need to do is hit that end on the ground hard enough, and it will go off, and you'll get your tear gas cloud. Add a bit of weight (large ball bearing) to make sure that end hits the ground first, or add a cotton / thin streamer 'tail' to the opposite end, either way it hits the ground ball bearing first, setting off the round.

Watch out, or if the round explodes outside of the confinement of the barrel, you may get shrapnel caused by the casing breaking up. a handful of these could achieve the effect I believe you're looking for.

Be careful carrying them around though, as of course as soon as one bumps another in your pocket, at the right angle, you'll get the tear gas all over your self......

You may be able to fit it into a cap bomb, (if it's anything like .22 blanks, which are really short, sort of like the brass cap off a shotgun shell in shape, but with a crimped end, and obviously only.22 across.) Arte they the short ones ? rimless or centrefire ? where did you get them ?

Cyclonite
May 29th, 2003, 12:19 PM
I dont see how an amount of tear gas that small could be usefull, Tear gas rounds dont explode they burn. Iv been in quite a few gas chambers, Its not that bad the first 10 seconds. I round that size outside would disperse to quick.

skeleton_keys
June 10th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Sorry it took me so long to respond. . .yeah, they're the short rounds, only about 3 millimeters tall. I actually got them from this ripoff website called MaxSell Corp. . .basically, the guy advertises it as a "tear gas gun" that looks like a revolver, and charges you $50 for the gun itself, and the little plastic round cases are $5 apiece for ten rounds. Upon receiving the gun, I discovered that it is a specialized metal cap gun made in Italy, that the cheap MaxSell guy had just taped over the words "Toy Gun" on the outside of the box (he never mentions it's a toy in the website). It really does fire the rounds, but since it's a toy the thing doesn't always align properly with each pull of the trigger, so the rounds aren't always perfectly lined up with the muzzle. The muzzle's end was blocked with the usual orange plastic plug, further hindering the gas escaping, even if you remove it. (Surprise, surprise, Maxsell's owner replies quickly if you want to buy one, but is suddenly unavailable for returns or further questions. Punk.) Anyways, the rounds themselves are made in Germany, and apparently re-distributed through a company called ValCor out of Florida. When I say "8 foot cloud", it means a really wispy cloud that spreads out to about 8 feet and stops. That's why I was trying to figure out if it's possible to blow so many at once, so it would actually have any kind of discernible effect. Eh. . .it's probably not worth the effort. I appreciate your suggestions!