View Full Version : uxo info - Archive File

megalomania
May 25th, 2003, 04:34 PM
A Dudely
posted 03-01-2001 08:25 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firstly thankyou for this forum,secondly
I have a british ww2 shell 8cm diam 23cm long before deciding what to do with it I need to get all the info possible.Likely composition, sensitivity, possible fuse arrangement et.c.
I have searched but it seams for the best info you have to pay.

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 03-01-2001 04:32 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How did you get this shell?

A Dudely
posted 03-03-2001 05:14 AM
I found it on the beach.Probably not so wise to have picked it up and brought it home but now its here I may as well do something with it.

DarkAngel
Frequent Poster
posted 03-03-2001 09:57 AM
Hey man.
I always hear that the first thing that the EOD does is removing de very dangerous impact detonator,so the main charge inside can`t explode anymore,How you do that i dunno?
------------------
--==DarkAngel==--

Go to Section1 http://www.section1.f2s.com Alot off Bombs/Explosives and Homemade Weapons!!,,,Plus a <<Forum>>!!!

nbk2000
posted 03-03-2001 10:36 AM
You could use a hand drill to drill a hole in the side and then steam melt out the explosive. Use a hand drill of course so there's no vibrations, and melt it out remotely in case it explodes.
It sounds like it's an anti-aircraft shell from the size and location.

You must realize that anytime you handle a UXO that you're taking a very real risk of killing yourself since they're very sensitive because the safeties were disengaged once the shell was fired.

------------------
"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them"

Go here to download the NBK2000 website PDF.

PYRO500
posted 03-04-2001 01:20 AM
you must realise you have a shell that was dangerous 50 years ago and has probably increased in sensitivity over the years, from what I have heard is that the english/brittish beaches are littered with them. (what does uxo stand for I forgot) you should either set up a charge around this thing, or you should shoot it from far away, if after being punched ful of holes with a 30-06 or crunched in an explosion it should be safe to get rid of. I know you are wanting to extract the explosive out of this but ask yourself if it is worth you hearing, life, hands ,or freedom.

Mick
Frequent Poster
posted 03-04-2001 02:10 AM
if you think about it, you gunna blow up whatever you get out of the shell
so why temp fate and extract it, then blow up what you get.
when you could just strap a charge to the shell, and blow both up at the same time.

- you gunna get the same effect either way.

EvilKefka
posted 03-04-2001 05:03 AM
I found a landmine and a sea mine on the beach near my house when I was 7. The sea mine was used and broken in two though, and i still have all limbs so I'm guessing the landmine was a dud.
------------------
Vwee hee hee hee hee heeee!

Anthony
posted 03-04-2001 02:16 PM
UXO = UnExploded Object
One third of all British bomb disposal guys killed were killed removing mines from British beaches after D-day - and they were experts.

If it's a complete round then it should be OK as long as the explosive haven't become super sensitive. If it's just the projectile that has been fired, shouldn't it be way out to sea?

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 03-04-2001 03:49 PM
I suggest you get rid of it, my means of blowing it up. All you have to do is affix some AP putty to it, and blow it up nice.
You will have spared your life (by not attempting to extract the explosive), and also you will have a big bang!

Any info on what explosive it is? tnt? rdx?

A Dudely
posted 03-07-2001 07:24 AM
nbk2000 it probably is a flak shell and is likely to have either a pure, or AN mixed TNT filler so boil in the bag extraction sounds the best.
The fuse worries me though, either the safties werent disengaged at firing making it quite safe or the altitude fuse didnt work but is still armed. Where is the fuse located?
Anthony it has been fired but upwards.
After an accident at the weekend I am feeling a little fragile and having doubts about the merits of taking unessicary risks if I call the EOD do you think theyrd blow it on the spot?

Microtek
Frequent Poster
posted 03-07-2001 09:50 AM
The problem with melting is that the detonator is still embedded in the main charge. The detonator will contain the usual primary/base and the question is whether the primary has become inert or not in the time since it was fired.

shooter2
Frequent Poster
posted 03-07-2001 07:27 PM
Hey Dude, Don't touch the damn thing. Three of my dads friends were killed by a dud round during WW2. Almost all Artillery shells depend on rotation to arm itself. There is no way to tell where the mechanism hung up. It could be just a hair away from going off. Suppose the firing pin spring has released but got hung up on a mill chip. A sudden jar or even a rotation(could roll on the table)could free the pin. Hide all your chemicals and ex.books, then call the army eod team to retrieve it. This hobby DEPENDS on you taking NO chances!

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted 03-07-2001 08:40 PM
Yeah, call in the experts, and see how much of their procedures you can take note of. it would be interesting to find out how the experts handle it. it would be dissapointing to find out that it was safe and you could have disarmed it yourself though. on the other hand they could come in and tell you that you were nearly killed. Call them in, i would like to hear what the disposal squad have to say.

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted 03-08-2001 07:22 PM
isn't UXO UneXploded Ordanance?

Microtek
Frequent Poster
posted 03-09-2001 10:50 AM
Yes

frostfire
Frequent Poster
posted 03-10-2001 10:56 AM
dudely, are you still there???

A Dudely
posted 03-12-2001 05:41 AM
Yes Im still here. Ok mabye Ill finish up my projects and call in the boys.
I do agreee that it would be interesting but ashame if they just sling it in a box and take it away and Ive given my name and address for nothing. Still its the safe option.

SMAG 12B/E5
Frequent Poster
posted 04-03-2001 12:56 AM
Dudely,
You have come to the best conclusion. Unexploded Ordanance items have killed many an expert, over the years. There are so very many unknowns connected with each individual unit! You may or may not recover a small amount of TNT or Comp B or may cease to exsist in a microsecond. Don't try something that even an "expert" would not try.

A Dudely
posted 04-03-2001 08:40 AM
What a let down!
Called the police and got treated like a twat, they called the eod then told me to go home.
They took my shell and I got nothing, not even a little chat.
I wish I would have detonated it myself.

lesbianloverjon
posted 04-03-2001 03:56 PM
this guy sound kewl

shooter2
Frequent Poster
posted 04-03-2001 07:13 PM
Hey Dude, It's gone and your still alive. Also no questions and you still have your stuff. Sounds pretty good to me!