View Full Version : Ghillie suits? - Archive File

megalomania
May 25th, 2003, 04:35 PM
phyrelord
Frequent Poster
posted 03-14-2001 11:17 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
does anyone know where i might be able to find some info on making them and patterns that are used for different terrains?

sealsix6
Frequent Poster
posted 03-14-2001 11:29 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I once saw a thread at www.airsoftzone.com (I think that is the site)

lesbianloverjon
posted 03-15-2001 03:12 PM
www.ghilliesuits.com

SMAG 12B/E5
Frequent Poster
posted 03-16-2001 11:25 PM
There was an article in "American Survival Guide" (?), years ago. The kits and sections of the radar absorbative camouflague netting used by the malitary services to cover truck ect. The individual pieces of netting are attached to a set of the older type of military fatigues. The process will require some time but will yeild excellent results.

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 03-17-2001 11:30 AM
It all depends on if your patten is appropriate for the terrain.
you can do wonders with some fish-net, Burlap and, some die. Does anyone know how they make they ghillie suits that hid you from Night Vision(IR)?

AR-15 Man
Frequent Poster
posted 03-17-2001 12:06 PM
Space blankets are suppose too. But I think they also make you colder than the area around you. So you might as well be showing up. When army fatigues are new they have ingredients that make them less likely to show up on NVG and Infa-red. That is why I always wash my camo or hunting gear myself. This is so I can keep those chemicals in. There is a site called www.snipercountry.com they are some pretty serious people. They are very well educated into this field. They can really help you. I think they have a whole section on Infa-red and NVG.

SMAG 12B/E5
Frequent Poster
posted 03-17-2001 09:59 PM
The "space blanket" is a supposed to be a deterrant for passive infrared "night scopes" not the cascade vidcon amplifier type of night vision equipment The gillie suit should aid with the night scope problem. Does anyone know the materials in the infrared defeating smoke grenades/smoke screening devices?
[This message has been edited by SMAG 12B/E5 (edited March 17, 2001).]

nbk2000
posted 03-18-2001 12:51 PM
US patent #6,127,007 Infrared camouflage covering, covers the making of a "thellie" which is what an thermal imaging camoflauge ghillie suit is called.
IR screening smoke is carbon or metal particles of certain size suspended in air.

------------------
"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them"

Go here to download the NBK2000 website PDF.

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 03-18-2001 02:00 PM
NBK2000 can you plz post the url?
thanx
------------------
A wise man once said:
"...I Am Not Much of a Dancer But,
Just Wait Till The Fucking Begins"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted 03-18-2001 05:29 PM
I have a yowie (ghillie in britain) suit i made for cadets. I used auscam trousers and shirt which have some special material woven in to them to provide some protection from IR detection. the material you use to construct a yowie (i used more strips from auscams ) should dissapate the heat better, so that theIR signituare is not half as big.

nbk2000
posted 03-18-2001 06:29 PM
Go to http://164.195.100.11/netahtml/search-bool.html and type in the patent number without the , and choose "patent number" and "all years" in the appropriate fields.
------------------
"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them"

Go here to download the NBK2000 website PDF.

count magi
posted 04-20-2001 11:08 PM
Not entirely sure, but I think neoprene would be good at reducing thermal signature. You know, like a wetsuit or something As far as the suit itself is concerned:
1 set U.S.G.I. bdu's
12-15 yards of burlap(more is better)
1 good pair of scissors or a paper cutter(like they had in school when you were a kid)
get ready to spend alot of time on this, as they are never truly finished. start cutting small(approx. 1") slits in the bdu's, starting at the neck working your way down and out. Don't worry about the bdu's falling apart, buy the winter weight ones. you can sew netting on the back of them or just cut the slits.(if you're going to be living on your belly for the next 6 months i suggest the netting.)you only need to cut slits to......let's say a little past the elbow, but hey it's your ghillie do whatever. Also don't worry about the spacing of the slits.(the closer together the better though)Once you finish the slits cut the "jute" into 1" strips approx.18-24" long(longer is better)
then just tie the strips into the slits. Once you are "finished" put it in the washer for a rinse and spin then into the dryer for no longer than 15min. this will give it that SWAMP THING look. As far as dying it, don't waste your time. Just use spraypaint, it washes right out and you might want to change the color later I.E. when the seasons change. The ghillies advertised on the net cost about $300+ this should run you about $40+some blisters.You can also add padding
for comfort(elbows,knees, chest) if you plan on staying in one place for a long time. For
a one-piece just use some old coveralls O.D.
green.Oh!!!!!! I almost forgot the headgear.
you might want to sew some netting onto a "boonie" cap, but the slits work just as well, and tie jute to it. Remember more is better, and you are NEVER finished with one of these.

EP
Frequent Poster
posted 04-27-2001 01:21 AM
www.uscav.com sells them for about $100

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted 04-27-2001 02:22 AM
The only senible way is to make your own, i wouldn't trust someone else make, as you are the only one that can truly make it with the right colours / textures that will suit the terrain you plan to use it in. (unless you're willing to pay around 600 - 800 bucks for a customised one.)
Absolutely right about the "yowie is never finished" thing, as you use it you wil find bare patches appearing, and as you use it you should get a friend as 'spotter' to see if he can find you. then fix whatever he may have seen - bare patches, wrong colouring etc. If amde properly, they still don't last long without regular upkeep, so always check it after a 'mission' , and never wash it, the dirt just helps it blend more.

lesbianloverjon
posted 04-30-2001 05:32 PM
one thing. i would buy one and add more onto it. therefore you don't have to worry about tying the first strips onto the clothing etc. that part is supposed to be a bitch.

stickfigure
May 25th, 2003, 06:14 PM
I bought a book called "The Invisible Advantage Workbook" by Tom Forbes from Amazon its got a lot of info for do-it yourselfer's like us. Although it doesn't give any chemicals for making it fire proof, which is a big concern for someone in a dry area. Imagine being covered in 20-30 pounds of flaming burlap, talk about a bad day...shit. A couple of sites sell burlap that is already treated, as I remember.

www.bushrag.com
www.ghillie.com

One thing about IR resistant clothes and suits and neoprene is that a set of brand new, unwashed BDU's are pre-treated to be IR resistant. That's what we are told before we deploy is not to wash our BDU's before we go or have them dry cleaned w/ starch. And to launder them as little as possible while we are there. This also applies to Chem Suits, M-65 jackets and Pants. Make sure they are new though. And if a person were able to get a set of the new JLIST chem suits with a hood built in and suspenders they would have an awesome base for a ghille suit and the new suits don't have any of the charcoal powder to screw up your clothes underneath, although with the extra layers they would be warmer.