View Full Version : Bit of a dodgey law

X-Wulf
May 26th, 2003, 05:02 PM
Hmmm, I'm not sure how many other Forum members live in South Africa (yes, here on the very tip of a very messed up continent), but one thing we do have that most other countries do not are some really weak and ambiguous laws regarding explosives.

Below is a link to the official SA explosives act under which anyone arrested for synthesis, possession or use of explosives must be charged.
South African Explosives Act - 1956 (http://www.acts.co.za/explosives/index.htm)

Now pay particular attention to Section 3 sub-section 1 (you can find the list of "authorised explosives" at the bottom of the navigation menu). Proceed to gasp in amazement :eek:
Observe the distinctive lack of many of the explosives discussed in the Forum: TATP, napalm, thermite, flash powder (note that chlorates are banned, but not perchlorates!!), etc. etc.
So then theoretically these explosives can be manufactured without any fear of the law, provided that the batches are small enough to claim "experimental" use :D

Now perhaps I'm over simplifying this, but is that interpretation correct?

Thanks
X

xyz
May 27th, 2003, 07:08 AM
Napalm and thermite are not explosives, flash powder is not classed as a high explosive (let's not get into any arguments about flash detonating), and TATP and HMTD were only recently added to the US list of prohibited explosives.

Arthis
May 27th, 2003, 11:19 AM
Are you really sure that you have the latest list of prohibited explosives ? Because some add-ons may have been made... (who knows ?)

BTW, why would you need to claim experimental manufacture if it's not listed ?

X-Wulf
May 27th, 2003, 02:09 PM
As far as I know, that is the official online version of SA legislation. Just to be on the safe side though, I have been trying to contact various police officials ( :eek: ) with regards to this law.
Considering that they amended this act in 2002 to include stuff on terrorism and other acts of explosive destruction, I'm assuming that their list of explosives is the latest (but as we all know, assumptions are the mother of all f**k-ups!). I do know that napalm, thermite and flash powder are not classified as explosives, but considering that gun powder is on their little list, they'd probably try to get you convicted under this act :p

Under section 3, sub-section 1, it is only legal if it's for "experimentation" or "trial". And under section 3, sub-section 4, it could be a touch difficult to prove to a judge how 5kg of TATP is for such a trial (unless perhaps I'm testing it's shockwave propagation co-efficients).

Later
X

THErAPIST
May 28th, 2003, 06:44 PM
You're one lucky bastard! In a couple of years I plan on getting my pyro license here in the states which enables me to USE high explosives (I just wont let em know that I make what I use). This license also lets me make any fireworks I feel the neecd to LEGALLY. This license is a pain in the ass to get but I swear I'm gonna get it. I used to be able to dodge the laws here, but then they rewrote the state laws when that 9-11 bullshit happened and I got fucked over.

SATANIC
May 28th, 2003, 09:11 PM
Maybe you need to find a lawyer or something... that can give you a real interpretation of the law. Then, if anything goes wrong, you can say you sought proffesional advice, and he would be able represent you in court , as obviously he'd believe what he was saying.

Hey, if there's no law against it, it's not illegal.

I doubt you wanna go flaunting the law by doing something, even if it isn't illegal. they'll keep an eye on you, knowing what you like, and take you down when you do happen to test something that is illegal.

Unknown
May 29th, 2003, 01:05 AM
Hello all,
First post outside the cooler. X-Wulf, I would tread very lighty concerning these laws if I were you. I read the page you linked to and the laws are dodgy, BUT, the burden of proving that you were only experimenting rests on you. Also, loose laws could be interpreted in favor of the accuser or the accused so it would be a gamble. I don't know much about South African law but from looking at the web site you might want to investigate the case law in your country pertaining to explosives to get an idea how the laws have been interpreted in the past. And as far as asking the local police about the law, it's bad idea. You will have planted the seed of suspicion and if anything explosives related happens anywhere around your area, it's the Grey Bar Inn for you.