View Full Version : Questions on lead azide precursors. - Archive File

megalomania
May 31st, 2003, 10:47 AM
FadeToBlackened
Frequent Poster
posted 04-10-2001 08:51 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sure many of you have seen this before(below). I'm assuming this is using 100% isopropyl alcohol. Can I just use normal rubbing alcohol? Im thinking maybe add enough water to the alcohol so the 30% water + added water = 450 mL, and dissolve the sodium nitrite in this mixture. Then, both containers cooled in an ice bath (anyone know temperature limits for this procedure?), adding the H2SO4 drop by drop to the other solution, or maybe the other way around. Would this work?

Preparation of Isopropyl Nitrite

A mixture of 45 ml concentrated sulfuric acid, 30 ml water and 110 ml
isopropyl alcohol, previously cooled to 0 centigrades, was added to an ice
cold solution of 114 grams of sodium nitrite in 450 ml of H2O. Slow
addition required about two hours in order to maintain a temperature around
0 centigrades. The upper oily layer was separated and washed three times
with 30 ml portions of 5 gram 100 ml sodium bicarbonate solution and 22
grams NaCl 100 ml solution respectively.

...and my other question: I saw some anarchist text a while back (i know better now, of course) that mentioned the use of Lead Nitrate OR Lead Acetate. How do I get lead nitrate, or would it be possible to make lead acetate?

One more question.. Anyone know about distilling hydrazine? I know some people out there wouldnt come within a mile of it, and with good reason. But when distilling it(by the method on megalomania's site) is the xylene necessary, and could the nitrogen atmostphere be substituted for by a vacuum?
-thanks for your time

[This message has been edited by FadeToBlackened (edited April 10, 2001).]

Rhadon
Frequent Poster
posted 04-11-2001 07:50 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lead acetate can be simply made by "mixing" a lead salt with acetic acid. If you have elemental lead the easiest and fastest way could be grinding the lead up, burning it with sulfur and adding this to acetic acid. The drawback of this method is that it will produce H2S which is poisonous and stinks awfully.
It don't know about this surely, but distilling Hydrazine can be very dangerous since the compound is explosive itself if it's free from water.

FadeToBlackened
Frequent Poster
posted 04-11-2001 05:32 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about that last night. I think i may (if i ever decide to put this into practice) just make dilute hydrazine as described on megalomania's site, and adjust my reactants accordingly...
And for acetic acid would white vinegar be strong enough?