View Full Version : glassware - Archive File

megalomania
May 31st, 2003, 10:53 AM
jin
Frequent Poster
posted 04-15-2001 05:13 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
can someone who has distilled his own 99%nitric acid tell me the cheapest glassware setup for 99% nitric acid including each glassware part name and details on the pump and how it conects to the glassware.so i know what to order from a glassware company.

10fingers
Frequent Poster
posted 04-15-2001 09:35 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You need a boiling flask, a condenser, a receiving flask, a vacuum fitting and some type of vacuum source. Either a aspirator or a pump. I have heard aspirators work and they are cheap but have never tried one because I have a vacuum pump. For glassware try www.unitedglasstech.com their prices seem pretty good.

jin
Frequent Poster
posted 04-15-2001 10:12 PM
ive already got a still some condensers recieving flasks just not sure about vacuum fitings and anything else that is needed.
[This message has been edited by jin (edited April 15, 2001).]

Teck
Frequent Poster
posted 04-22-2001 03:01 AM
Im also planning on making some nitric Acid
and I was looking at some vaccum pumps on ebay and they have this vacume pump:
Made by Central Pneumatic, this venturi-type vacuum pump removes moisture from air conditioning systems so you can safely add refrigerant. Ideal for automotive air conditioners, home air conditioners, refrigerators, freezers, and more.

Vacuum level: 28.3" of mercury at sea level
Air consumption: 4.2 CFM
Air inlet: 1/4'' NPT

will this vacuum pump work for making nitric acid?

PYRO500
posted 04-22-2001 03:48 AM
I think it might, I'm not sure about the vaccume level except that you have to get a fairly good vaccume for ac systems. you would certainly need a bubbler to keep HNO3 vapors from destroying the pump. although the pump might not be designed to be run for long
[This message has been edited by PYRO500 (edited April 22, 2001).]

Bitter
Frequent Poster
posted 04-22-2001 04:29 AM
10 fingers, you put a comma in the link and so all you get is a 404 when you click on it.
http://www.unitedglasstech.com