View Full Version : A simple question regarding perchlorates. - Archive File

megalomania
June 1st, 2003, 12:27 AM
FadeToBlackened
Frequent Poster
posted 04-20-2001 11:34 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know that chlorates can detonate (like NaClO3 + vaseline). But can perchlorates?

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 04-21-2001 12:00 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was watching a show on TV(fox) and it was of a NH4ClO4 factory. that storage tanks detonated(There was a shock wave).

------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back
And, Shoot'em In The Dark"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

Bitter
Frequent Poster
posted 04-21-2001 04:02 AM
Of course you can detonate perchlorates. All they are are chlorates with an extra oxygen attached.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 04-21-2001 12:04 PM
That's like saying "of course you can drink pure hydrogen peroxide, it's just water with oxygen added". (I know perchlorates are ionic and H2O2 is covalent etc.etc. but you get my point) Well, not that stupid, but "just adding oxygen" can greatly affect the properties of chemicals.
Although you were right, most perchlorates can detonate from a strong enough shock.

FadeToBlackened
Frequent Poster
posted 04-21-2001 02:21 PM
Say I were to mix some with a sensitizer, vaseline or maybe 2:1 motor oil to gasoline (i think i saw that in IMFAN), what strength of cap would i need to detonate it? KIPE says a #3 will detonate chlorate based but what about perchlorate?
... and now that i think about it i saw that NH4CLO4 plant explode. Somewhere in Nevada right? You could see that shockwave..badass.. they said it leveled all the nearby buildings.

[This message has been edited by FadeToBlackened (edited April 21, 2001).]

fightclub
posted 04-25-2001 01:50 AM
Depending on what type of chlorate it is. Alkali and Alkali earth chlorates can not be detonated. Potassium and Sodium chlorate for example can not detonate by themselves (need the right kind of fuel or impurities to become explosive or detonable).
Ammonium perchlorate can detonate for sure. So can amine perchlorates like hydrazine, methylamine perchlorates,etc. Potassium and Sodium perchlorates can not be detonated alone.