View Full Version : nitric acid %? - Archive File

megalomania
June 7th, 2003, 09:33 PM
^Baphomet^
posted 04-30-2001 02:27 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hail all...
does anyone know what is the % of the HNO3 that goldsmith use ?
because I have a friend who works with gold(selling ,making rings and earings ...etc)and he is going to sell me 40 liters of nitric acid but he doesn't know what is the % of the acid .
so plz if anyone know anything about this sub tell me
------------------
{6@pH0m3t}
do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law...

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 04-30-2001 02:39 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
moving to misc.
if you know the exact amount in a container you could find its weight (density). then just find the density of given cncentrations in a book. and match it up with yours.

------------------
technology is a wonderful servant, but a bitch of a master.

Explosives Archive

10fingers
Frequent Poster
posted 04-30-2001 07:55 PM
Nitric acid is generally sold at 68% to 70%. This would have a weight per milliter of 1.43 to 1.45 grams. Pure 100% acid has a specific gravity of 1.52. All you need is a accurate scale and an graduated cylinder to determine this.

vulture
June 8th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Goldsmiths would use it for etching silver, which means the concentration should be atleast 70%.
Maybe they even use it to make aqua regia, dissolve the gold and then depositing a fine gold layer by decomposition?