View Full Version : Just found a source for 1,2-dibromoethane - Archive File

megalomania
June 8th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 04-29-2001 08:37 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, I was thinking I'd like to make 1,2-dinitroethane.
But should I? Does anyone have any figures comparing it's sensitivity/power to other explosives, e.g. nitromethane, TNT, NG etc?
I'm thinking it'd be better than nitromethane from a volatility point of view, due to it's larger molecule, and it'd have a slightly better oxygen balance therefore more power/gram.

Thanks for your help.

fightclub
posted 04-29-2001 04:22 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CH2.NO2
|
CH2.NO2

1,2-Dinitroethane is more dense (d. 1.46g/cc) and a more powerful explosive (lead block=450ml/10g) than nitromethane, but is
much too reactive to even be considered as useful explosive.

fightclub
posted 05-02-2001 06:45 PM
By the way, when I first started my calculation experiments one of the first compounds I did was for 1,2-Dinitroethane.
If it interests you the value I obtained for VOD was around 7400-7600m/s @ 1.46 g/cc (assuming this is max. density).

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 05-03-2001 09:46 AM
Nitroaliphatics are sensitive to bases and can make detonating explosives salts!
I'm also interested in those polynitroaliphatics since I know the density increase in the sequence methyl nitrate, glycol dinitrate, glycerol trinitate, PETN, manitol hexanitrate, ...and the effect on the VOD (VOD increases with the density here they are related explosives mostly 1 nitrate group/carbon).
My guess is that when you follow the same order and structures as above CH3-NO2, O2N-CH2-CH2-NO2, trinitropropane, PETNitro, hexanitrohexane, ... you would have the same kind of effect with a maximum VOD arround that of ONC(octanitrocubane)maybe higher.
BTW: DNE (dinitroethane)can be done by refluxing dibromoethane and silver nitrite

Also something I wonder is; why didn't they did the octanitrate of octanolcubane since all known nitrate ester are over the same related nitroderivative in power and in VOD!This should have an incredibely high density and VOD but a positive OB!
C8(OH)8 + 8 HNO3 --> C8(ONO2)8 + 8 H2O
C8(ONO2)8 --> 8CO2 + 4N2 + 4 O2