View Full Version : Semtex - Archive File

megalomania
June 8th, 2003, 01:20 PM
-A-
Frequent Poster
posted 05-08-2001 01:08 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think this hasn't been posted before so here it goes.
Semtex is always associated with the explosive that terrorist use. It was said that it couldn't be detected by trained dogs and things like that. As always, this is mostly bullshit.
It is not an explosive as itself, but it is rather an explosive mix. Semtex was first made at Semtin Glassworks in Czechoslovakia. Semtex compositions are variable, but Semtex H, probably the most common, typically contains 9% rubber, 8% oil, and generally equal amounts of PETN and RDX, but they can range from more than 21.5% RDX and less than 64.5% for PETN.

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted 05-08-2001 01:36 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where did you get this info from? i always thaught that semtex was straight RDX with plasticisers. how would rubber stay mouldable inthe composition?

wantsomfet
Frequent Poster
posted 05-08-2001 06:18 AM
Read the Gerald L. Hurst Usenet Archive, he says alot about semtex.
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Library/4196/

------------------
for best catfood visit:
kangaroooo.cjb.net

Kroways
posted 05-08-2001 04:11 PM
Some information on Semtex can be found on this czech site: http://edetonator.hyperlink.cz This version is translated evidently in hurry, so excuse possible mistakes. The full version, which was in Czech only, was removed from the net without any obvious reason, so this is only a small remain.
The well functioning imitation of Semtex can be quite easily done by several steps:
1) Warm toluene or gasoline on the water bath and dissolve ~6% synthetic rubber in it(the most difficult step - the rubber must be cut into small particles to speed it up)
2) Add motor oil(10%) into the dissolved rubber and mix thoroughly. You can add ~0.5% dye and 0.5% diphenylamine(stabiliser), but not necessary.
3) Put RDX and/or PETN into this mixture and mix thorougly, until uniform and homogenous mixture is obtained.
4) Spread the mixture in a thin layer and let the toluene/gasoline to evaporate completely. This can take several days.
5) Knead the mixture with gloved hands, until demanded consistency is obtained.

The optimum plasticity is managed with ~80% RDX/PETN, but detonation velocity and brisance is lower and is diminishing rapidly with increasing amount of inert components.

[This message has been edited by Kroways (edited May 08, 2001).]

EP
Frequent Poster
posted 05-08-2001 07:41 PM
From what I have read (The History of Explosives, Tenny), original Semtex WAS scentless and undectable by dogs. It was manufactured for a while and a large stockpile was sold to Libya, who made it available to various terrorist groups. After it was used in several terrorist attacks, the company making it began mixing in a "scent" to make it detectable by dogs. I think even the original would be detectable by the sniffer machines at airports and places like that.

wantsomfet
Frequent Poster
posted 05-25-2001 06:01 PM
Chapter 39. p.409-428 in " Advances in Analysis and Detection of Explosives"
edited by Jehuda Yinon Kluwer Academic Publishers ISBN 0-7923-2138-3 (1993)
Table 1. Summary of Semtex Analysis

Name --------------- Semtex H --------------- Semtex A
% PETN: --------------- 49.8 --------------- 94.3
% RDX: --------------- 50.2 --------------- 5.7
Dye: --------------- Sudan I --------------- Sudan IV

Antioxidant: N-phenyl-2-naphthalamine
Plasticizer: n-octyl phthalate butyl citrate
Binder: styrene-butadiene rubber

Kid Orgo
June 18th, 2003, 12:47 AM
Would mineral oil be more suitable than motor oil?

If motor oil is the way to go, what kind would be used?

10W40?

I may want to dream of some semtex some day :-D