View Full Version : Detonating ANFO... really that easy? - Archive File

megalomania
June 9th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Donutty
Frequent Poster
posted 05-18-2001 06:59 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How much of, let's say, AP, do you REALLY need to detonate ANFO? Just wondering because today, I achieved full detonation of 100g ANFO with only 25g AP; half the recommended amount.
What have you found to be a minimum amount? Here are the details of my latest 'blast':

Ignitor: .1g Potassium Chlorate + Charcoal mix, electrical

Initiator: .5g AP
Primary charge: 30g AP
Base charge: 100g ANFO

Containers:
===========

Ignitor: Plastic tube - 5mm dia / 2cm long
Initiator: Plastic tube - 1cm dia / 4 cm long
Primary charge: Plastic can - 4cm dia / 8cm long
Base charge: Metal can - 6cm dia / 12 cm long
Placement: Hole 40cm deep, 10cm wide
Result: 99% detonation, crater 1m deep, 1.5m wide

ANFO mix was 17:1 parts AN (ICI Nitram) to Red Diesel (just normal diesel, but here in the UK it is coloured to designate it only for agricultural use). No AL sensitiser was used, nor were microballons added to increase the density. The AN was not even powdered - I just used prills, but added a small amount of powdered AN to soak up the remainder of the diesel. Have I just got bloody good AN?? Also, the mix was left for 1 day to soak? Has this anything to do with it?

Thanks for any input.

Donutty
Frequent Poster
posted 05-18-2001 07:01 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, if you want, I can post pictures (in JPG / GIF format).

sealsix6
Frequent Poster
posted 05-19-2001 12:21 AM
Pictures would be nice very very nice.

Demolition
Frequent Poster
posted 05-19-2001 02:57 AM
A nice size crater for that amount of explosive.Reading this post gives me hope of moving a large mound of dirt that needs to be turned into a Motorbike jump.
Also,pictures would be nice.
Demolition

Dhzugasvili
Frequent Poster
posted 05-19-2001 06:59 AM
Donutty, how thick was the metal can used for the base charge?
I have heard in another post that paraffin oil sensitises AN better than most other fuel oils, not sure though...

Donutty
Frequent Poster
posted 05-19-2001 11:52 AM
The container was just a <1mm thick aerosol can made of aluminium.
I'll upload the pics to somewhere and figure out a way of putting them on this topic.

c0deblue
Frequent Poster
posted 05-19-2001 12:18 PM
Sounds like a great result! Just out of curiosity, what is the density of that AN in grams/cc (in uncompressed prill form)?
Letting the mix stand after combining allows for maximum absorption of the FO, and thus, better performance.

AN sold as "fertilizer grade" is sometimes of a lower density (explosive grade) than the high-density AN made specifically for agricultural use. This can be true if the nearest plants favor low-density prill production. The major cost of AN is in its transportation, so economics encourages outlets to buy from nearby sources. The "fertilizer grade" AN available here, for example, weighs out at 0.865 grams/cc - roughly the same as "explosive grade". It's all a matter of geography - and luck.

[This message has been edited by c0deblue (edited May 19, 2001).]

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 05-19-2001 01:37 PM
What was the charge on? I mean, what was that crater made into?

Donutty
Frequent Poster
posted 05-19-2001 04:50 PM
I have no idea of the density of the AN, I could find it I suppose if you're really wanting to know.
The charge was under about 40cm of wet mud / clay in a field.

I also tried a 1kg charge today, but as a detonator, I only used what AP I had left. Guess what; it wasn't enough! The AN, or the majority of it, failed to detonate. I took ages digging that hole! GRRRR!

Donutty
Frequent Poster
posted 05-19-2001 05:22 PM
http://donuttyfiles.50megs.com/
I rushed this just for you guys!

Call back soon for more, as I'm going to keep working on this now.

Also, an errata: I said the crater was 1.5m wide, it was actually just a bit more than 1m when I measured it; estimating isn't my strong point.

I also have some pictures of the det, init. charge and ANFO, just ask, but I didnt post them since they're not that exciting.

Donutty
Frequent Poster
posted 05-19-2001 05:24 PM
And yes, that attractive M16 wielding psycho is me... just that you can't see my face...

Anthony
posted 05-20-2001 10:24 AM
Nice one
50gm of AP would be about equal to 1/4 stick of reasonable velocity dynmaite.