View Full Version : H2O2 Explosive - Archive File

megalomania
June 9th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Bomberman
posted 05-20-2001 07:19 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This explosive is about as blow up strong as
Nitroglycerin to manufacture but substantially more easily. During
contact with metals or activated charcoal strong decomposition and
also inflammation steps.
First one must concentrate the trade-usual 30% H2O2 on over 80%, in
addition heating it up simply in a clean evaporation bowl on at the
most 60° and evaporating around approximately 2/3, one tests the H2O2
by one something handkerchief thereby traengt and ignites, it must
without problems burn-off down. Now one takes the highly concentrated still hot H2O2 and solve in 80ml from this 8g strength and 12g vaseline. You mixes everything, and it
results in a thick paste. This can be detonated with HMTD problem-free. I blew up with 50ml of this mix, and over a 1
meter hole results, the dirt flew about 30 meters far away.

Naturally with
electrical ignition

Translated with Alta Vista

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted 05-20-2001 09:10 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WTF? I really didnt understand much of that man, H2o2 and vaseline? Are those the only constituents?

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 05-20-2001 11:17 PM
peroxide by nature are unstable.
So would it break down as such;
2H2O2---> H2O + O2
?
I don't know how useful it would be as it would do nasty things to metal and I don't wish to think about what it would do to skin. also you are let with a liquid corect? wIf you mix a Liquid with a jelly you will get a thin jelly; Think if this does indeed work that it would better if it was of stiffer consistencey.

------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back
And, Shoot'em In The Dark"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

c0deblue
Frequent Poster
posted 05-21-2001 12:09 AM
The translation is confusing, and an important component seems to be missing. Also, I've never heard it was possible to concentrate H2O2 to 80% by heating it, and wouldn't mixing 80% H2O2 with a petroleum based substance be pretty dangerous?
I know it's difficult when you have to use machine translations, but could you try to give us more details?

Bomberman
posted 05-21-2001 08:26 AM
You heat the 30% H2O2 and first the water evaporates, because water evaporates at 100°C, the H2O2 evaporates at 150°C therefore the water evaporates at first, then the H2O2 at last.
For example Potasiumchlorate with 10% of Vaseline is an explosive too, but H2O2 ist for self an explosive. 100% H2O2 for example ist an high Explosive. Mixtures with H2O2 are so similar as mixtures with liquid air, but not as strong as these. The lead block test with the H2O2, vaseline and strength resulted 500ccm.

highly concentrated H2O2 holds about 5 hours at 20°C, at -18°C you can use it several weeks

bye

PS: The strengthens thicken the mix to a thin paste

[This message has been edited by Bomberman (edited May 21, 2001).]

wantsomfet
Frequent Poster
posted 05-21-2001 08:38 AM
"solve in 80ml from this 8g strength and 12g vaseline. "
I suppose you meant adding 8g starch (german: Stδrke) ?

------------------
for best catfood visit:
kangaroooo.cjb.net

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 05-21-2001 09:42 AM
Yes heat and peroxydes....I doubt about this maybe under vaccum since then with a little to no heat you could distill water off remaining with mainly H2O2!
No doubt this kind of LOX can be powefull but much less than the equivalent weight of CTAP!
Now a little mathematics and chemistry!
80g H2O2 (80%) is equivalent to 64g H2O2 100%
and thus contains 1.882 moles of H2O2 that can liberate 0.941 mole O2!
Assuming the general formula for vaseline to be H-(CH2)n-H since it is an alcanic/oleofinic compound; then its molar weight is (2+n*(14))g/mole; neglecting the 2 from the two external H's we have n*14!
We then need per CH2 (14g/mole) 1.5moles of O2; you of course understand that 14g is the weight of 1/n th of one mole of (CH2)n and that
CH2 + 3/2O2 --> CO2 + H2O
Now considering the 12g of vaseline, you would need at least minimum 12/14 * 1.5mole O2 = 1.286 mole O2 that's much more than the 0.941 we have found before!
Also the 8g strenght (I supose it is a thickener) must be also a fuel and therefore would also need oxygen increasing also the quantity of O2 needed!
One more point that is important here:
The raction must be not very hot since for 100g of mix, you have to vaporise 80-64g of unoxygenated water (16g) and also the 18g*1.882 moles of water coming from the decomposition of 64g H2O2 into water (33.876g); total of water to boil/100g is thus 49.876g....that's a lot near 50% and you expect this to be very powerful??
I think that you must be wrong somewhere!
-by omitting something important for this to be correct!
-a simple typo error or a source error!
-maybe you tell us some beautiful fairytale!

I doubt that 100g of such a mix can make a 1 meter diameter crater except maybe on the surface of a fluchy mud...what about the depht of the hole????

Who has another or the same point of view?

------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

eNt0n
posted 05-21-2001 10:36 AM
Well, H2O2 ist a very good high explosive.
The russians are using it in their torpedos. By mixing it with the russian type of JP-5 (jet petrol) it is their petrol for torpedos. But the H2O2 must be over 90%. A very unstable mix, which might have sunk the KURSK. Also, my father told me, that 90% H2O2 was used in rocketengines. Very bad idea...

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 05-21-2001 11:06 AM
A much better HE would be
*N2O4 and CS2
*N2H4 and C(NO2)4
*DNT and N2O4
*HNO3 and CH2(CN)2
*HNO3 and CH(CN)3
The best would be
C(NO2)4 + C(CN)4

Yes all are as unstable as your 90-99% H2O2 + fuel thickener mix!

Maybe the mix is only used as a propellant in torpedoes since you shouldn't expect a higher VOD than 3500m/s (it would give torpedoes that doesn't dig holes in metal (you need at least 7000m/s to make a hole in metal with a shaped charge)!

------------------
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

Bomberman
posted 05-21-2001 01:20 PM
I dont know how much concentrated my H2O2 was, i think over 80% perhaps over 90%
Yes I mean starch (Stδrke) In the book i fount this, they use Cutton (Baumwolle) But I think its the Same.

I have put 50ml of the mix in a PP Pipe, and i Detonated it with 2g HMTD. And yes it makes an 1 meter diameter crater, but the hole wasn't very deep, perhaps 30cm. The mud flew very far away.

At the concentration of the H2O2 at 60°C naturally something goes away, but only insignificantly little

Tries out it simply times, I can only say like well it worked at me

1. Heat H2O2 30% at 60° until 2/3 or 3/4 is evaporated (toxic fumes)
2. Drop some H2O2 on a Paper ant test if it burns very good
3. Dissolve in 80ml H2O2 (high concentrated) 12g vaseline and 8g starch
4. Detonate it with a strong Detonator in a non metallically thin, or burn something down with a flame, it burns very god, like Nitroglycerine

please excuses my bad English : -)

simply RED
Frequent Poster
posted 05-21-2001 05:06 PM
N2O4 and CS2 gives a stable explosive
RESULTS:

1. Sensitivity to impact. —, When tested by means of the Bureau of Mines apparatus using a 500 gm. weight the following heights of fall were required to cause explosion:

Myrite (2 vols. N2O4: 1 vol. CS2) 100 cms.
Myrite (1 vol. N2O4 : 1 vol. CS2) 100 cms.

These values are to be compared with a value of 70 gms. for nitroglycerin (Ind. & Eng Chem., 19,927 (1927)). When tested with a 2 Kg. weight the following values were obtained:

Myrite (3 vols. N2O4 : 1 vol CS2 ).......100 cms.
Myrite (1 vol. N2O4 : 1 vol. CS2 ).......100 cms.
TNT………………………………………. 100 cms.
Picric acid…………………………………. 61 cms.
Tetryl………………………………………. 50 cms.
It is unfortunately less powerful than TNT...

-A-
Frequent Poster
posted 05-22-2001 12:42 AM
Concentrating H2O2 by evaporating water on heating?. Excuse me but I don't think this will work. H2O2 would decompose. And I think you won't get as high as 80% concentration under normal conditions because the mix water H2O2 is an azeotrope, isn't it?.

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 05-23-2001 05:05 AM
-Strange!
1. Sensitivity to impact. With the BOM apparatus gives:
Myrite (2V/1V N2O4-CS2):100 cms.
Myrite (1V/1V N2O4-CS2):100 cms.
-That means impact sensitivity is 5Nm!
(500g*1kg/1000g*10N/kg*100cm*1m/100cm= 0.5kg*10N/kg*1m=5Nm)
These values are to be compared with a value of 70 gms. for nitroglycerin!
-This means an I.S. of 0.07kg*10N/kg*1m= 0.7Nm!

Then When tested with a 2 Kg. weight the following values were obtained:
Myrite (3V/1V N2O4-CS2 ):100 cms.
Myrite (1V/1V N2O4-CS2 ):100 cms.
TNT:100 cms.
-This means 2kg*10N/kg*1m= 20Nm!!!!

Picric acid:61 cms.
-This means 2*10*0.61 Nm= 12.2 Nm
Tetryl:50 cms.
-This means 2*10*0.5 Nm= 10 Nm

It is unfortunately less powerful than TNT...
-???How can you tell from this tables?

****Here are my objections!****
-For two same explosives Myrite 1-1 you have two different impact sensitivities 5 and 20!
-Different mixes of myrite have the same I.S. what is strange!
-Nitroglycerin has an I.S. of 0.2Nm!

------------------

Bomberman
posted 05-23-2001 06:55 AM
I test it, and it works! The H2O2 concentrate at 70-90%. I dont know how much concentation the H2O2 have, but in the mix, it is a very powerful Explosive.
Test it, and you would see that it works well

bye

PS: You can't say that it not works if you not tested it

[This message has been edited by Bomberman (edited May 23, 2001).]

simply RED
Frequent Poster
posted 05-23-2001 09:47 AM
Here is the whole document on Myrithe, it is originally posted in alt.engr.explosives by donald haarman.
P.A. Technical Report No. 10301
Picatinny Arsenal, Dover N.J.
March 6, 1940.

SYNOPSIS

Myrite, an explosive comprising a mixture of nitrogen dioxide and carbon bisulphide was subjected to various tests to determine its sensitivity to mechanical influences, brisance, rate of detonation, and other explosive characteristics. The data obtained from these tests indicated that Myrite is sensitive to rifle bullet impact and has a rate of detonation and brisance considerably lower than the benzene analites.

In view of the fact that Myrite is especially sensitive to rifle bullet impact and has no higher brisance than TNT, it is concluded that its explosive characteristics are not sufficiently favorable to warrant its use for military purposes.

————————
TECHNICAL GROUP
CHEMICAL DEPARTMENT
CHEMICAL ENJOINING DIVISION
Investigation Of the Explosive "Myrite".
First and Final Report,

INTRODUCTION:

1. In correspondence 0.0. 471.86/4415. P.A. 471,86/659 it was requested that the Arsenal conduct tests to determine the explosive characteristics of an explosive called "Myrite." This explosive is a mixture of liquid nitrogen dioxide and carbon bisulphide. Mr. E. B, Myers, the developer of this mixture as a fuel in airplane motors claimed that it was a powerful explosive, easily detonated but in- sensitive to mechanical Influences.

OBJECT:

2. To determine the sensitivity, brisance rate of detonation and other explosive characteristics of Myrite.

3. Myrite (2:1) was only slightly less sensitive to impact than nitroglycerine, Myrite (3:1 and 1:1) was less sensitive to Impact than picric acid or tetryl, being comparable to TNT.

4. Myrite, (2:1) did not explode When heated to 600oC.

5. Myrite (2:1) burned slowly when ignited by the flame from a black powder fuze.

6. Calculations showed Myrite (2:1) to have less potential than either nitrobenzene analite or benzene analite. Detailed discussion of the above characteristics are given in Chemical Laboratory Report No. 62089 attached.

7. Myrite was loaded into 2 x 3 Inch pipe bombs and subjected to the rifle bullet impact test, The following results were obtained:

[Page 2 missing!]

————
REPORT FROM THE CHEMICAL LABORATORY
PICATINNY ARSENAL DOVER N. J.
February 20, 1940
Report NO. 62089

Re: Myrite Explosive (Nitrogen Peroxide-Carbon Bisulphide)

OBJECT:

To determine the sensitivity characteristics of Myrite Explosives

To calculate the explosive characteristics of Myrite Explosives.

RESULTS:

1. Sensitivity to impact. —, When tested by means of the Bureau of Mines apparatus using a 500 gm. weight the following heights of fall were required to cause explosion:

Myrite (2 vols. N2O4: 1 vol. CS2) 100 cms.
Myrite (1 vol. N2O4 : 1 vol. CS2) 100 cms.

These values are to be compared with a value of 70 gms. for nitroglycerin (Ind. & Eng Chem., 19,927 (1927)). When tested with a 2 Kg. weight the following values were obtained:

Myrite (3 vols. N2O4 : 1 vol CS2 ).......100 cms.
Myrite (1 vol. N2O4 : 1 vol. CS2 ).......100 cms.
TNT………………………………………. 100 cms.
Picric acid…………………………………. 61 cms.
Tetryl………………………………………. 50 cms.

2. Explosion Temperature.- Myrite Explosive consisting of 2 parts by volume of nitrogen peroxide and 1 part by volume of carbon bisulphide did not explode when heated suddenly to temperatures an high as 600oC.

3. Stability Myrite Explosive (2:1) burned slowly when subjected to a spit of flame from a black--powder fuse, the explosive being held in a blasting cap and the fuse crimped into this so that the end of the fuse was not in contact with the liquid. When the end of the fuse was in contact with the liquid,, the fuse was extinguished.

4. Explosive Characteristics.- By calculation of the explosive characteristics of Myrite Explosive (2:1) by the methods given in "Notes of Analite" (C.O. 471.86/2120) there were obtained the following values, which are given in comparison with similar values for nitrobenzene and benzene Analites.

Myrite NB Analite Benzene Anilite
Heat of Explosion, cal./gm ………….. 1055 ………….. 1771 ………. 1814
Volume of Gases, liters/kg. ……………..514.7 ……….. 659 ………... 673
Temperature of Explosion, oC. ……… 2533 ………….. 5396 ……….. 3731
Potential, Q, meter-ton/gm ………….. 446 ………….. 752 ………… 771
Coefficient, f, kgs. …………………….. 5465 …………. 9897 ……… 10196

5. Oxygen balanced Myrite.- 2:1 Myrite Explosive contains more oxygen than required to oxidize all carbon and sulphur to their dioxides. It was calculated that a mixture containing 56.6 per cent of nitrogen peroxide and 43.4 per cant of carbon bisulphide by volume would contain sufficient oxygen to oxidize all carbon to carbon monoxide and sulphur to sulphur dioxide. It was calculated that this mixture would have a beat of explosion of 1013 cal/gm.

REMARKS

From the foregoing data it In apparent that Myrite Explosive (2:1) is of the same order of sensitivity as nitroglycerin but it is slightly less sensitive. The other two Myrite, mixtures are of the sane order of sensitivity an trinitrotoluene.

When compared with Anilites containing nitrobenzene or benzene, calculations show Myrite explosive (2:1) to be a much less powerful explosive than either of the Anilites.

NOTES:

Nitrogen peroxide undergoes dissociation with increase In temperature. At 20oC. the material consists of approximately 72% N204 and 28% NO2 . This is pf some significance as the heat of formation of the material changes with change in composition.

The x reaction of 2:1 Myrite is shown by the equation:

CS2 + 1.4 N2O4 + 1.1 NO2 ---> CO2 + 2 SO2 + 0.09 O2 + 267.63 Kg. cal. -22.0 -2.6 -8.7 94.4 138.6

The explosive reaction of Myrite containing 56% nitrogen peroxide and 43.4% carbon bisulphide by volume is shown by the equation:

CS2 + 0.8974 N2O4 + 0.7051 NO2 ---> CO + 2 SO2 + 1.2496 N2 + 193.6 Kg. cal.
-22.0 -1.669 -5.239 26.1 138.9

Submitted:
J. D. Hooper,
Ass't Chemist

Approved:
Wm H. Rinkenbach,
Chief Chemist

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 05-23-2001 12:49 PM
Thank you I like those kinds of info's!
But stil I find anoying that myrite 2/1 is said to be as to a little less sensitive than nitroglycerine and we see a 100cm fallhamer of 500g!
Also it is compared with benzene/N2O4 and with nitrobenzene/N2O4 that are more powerful than TNT!
It may be less brisant than TNT but may have better other properties like VOD, volume of detonation gases,...

Also since this is no nuclear reaction...it must contain N in the second member of the equation!
CS2 + 1.4 N2O4 + 1.1 NO2 ---> CO2 + 2 SO2 + 0.09 O2 + 267.63 Kg. cal. -22.0 -2.6 -8.7 94.4 138.6

I think that there must be some typo error in the text!

jfk
June 9th, 2003, 11:14 PM
let me attempt to summarise that.

1. boil 50mL 30% H2O2, at about 60 degrees Celcius
2. when the solution has boiled down to 1/2(25mL) of its original volume, take it off the heat. (or take it off when a few mL's on a piece of paper ignites, or something)
3. Mix with 8g starch (possibly cotton also) and 12g vasline (petrolium jelly)[sp]
4. use a blasting cap to detonate it (2g HTMD was sufficient)

NOTES:

1. The vapours from boiling are most likely NOT toxic (O2, H20) but there could be some vapourised H2O2 coming off as well, so do it in a ventelated area
2. NASA uses a composite rocket fuel which consists of: 90% H2O2, 100% methanol, with a very low percent of Nitro Methane as well.
3. The boiling point of water is 100 degrees, 150 for H2O2. Some H2O2 wil decompose - but the ammount you loose is of negligable value in the long run.
4. you prolly should cool it before mixxing it with the starch and vaseline.

STORAGE:
stores for 5 hours at 20 degrees. (he never stated what happened after that 5 hours)
stores apparently for a few weks at -18 degrees which is the temperature of your average freezer.

THEORIES:

1. could possibly be as powerful, gram for gram as Trimeric Cycloacetone Peroxide (AP)

as for the myrite stuff, the thread was on H2O2 and vaseline so i didnt bother with those ones. funnily enough i havent tried this before. i may invest some time into it.

Arthis
June 10th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Well it seems to somewhat weird, I never heard using h2o2 more than just oxydizer.

But we must note that its properties increase a lot when concentration reaches 70%.
http://www.h2o2.com/intro/properties/thermo08b.gif

Therefore it may be possible that with 80% you have an powerful enough oxydizer to make a small explosive.

btw, h2o2 in rockets is true. Of course it was 100% for this kind of purpose.

inFinie
June 10th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Boiling H2O2 will cause decomposition, it will be decomposed even by light at room temperature!, thats why it is stored in dark coloured bottles.

Arthis
June 11th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Heat and light are not the same. This is caused by UV rays too.
It decomposes but if the decomposition is slower than the distillation, you end up with purer H2O2.

metafractal
June 11th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Hydrogen Peroxide will break down very easily if distilled by conventional means. It can be concentrated by freezing up to 62% at which point it forms an azeotropic mixture with water (see this (http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2401) thread). Distilling it further (approaching >90%) requires precise contol of temperature etc, nothing I can see a hobby chemist achieving.

Edit: These threads may also be of interest- Thread A (http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=848), Thread B (http://www.roguesci.org/theforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=561) .
Its been discussed...