View Full Version : TeNN: Only component in a detonator? - Archive File

megalomania
June 9th, 2003, 05:54 PM
-A-
Frequent Poster
posted 05-23-2001 01:07 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After almost pissing in my pants a few times handling htmd, TACC, and others, I started thinking of a more secure detonator. As you probably know TeNN detonates if it is heated very fast. So, I am wondering if you can make a detonator by filling your always used copper or aluminum tube with TeNN, and using a nichrome wire to heat it violently. I don't know if this has been tried before. (I can't test it know as I have run out of acid, damn). What do you think?.

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 05-23-2001 07:21 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What does TeNN stands for?
------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

wantsomfet
Frequent Poster
posted 05-23-2001 08:51 AM
TeNN = tetranitronaphthalene

------------------
for best catfood visit:
kangaroooo.cjb.net

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 05-23-2001 09:34 AM
TeNN is not a good initiator on its own it will need a first kick from a detonator!
You always need not very friendly substance to set high exposives to detonation!
Azides, fulminates, acetylides, CTAP, HMTD, picrates resorcinates, complexes of a reducer and of an oxydiser arround a metal center!All substance that detonatyes readily from heat/spark/flame!
------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 05-23-2001 11:07 AM
TeNN can detonate from rapid heating, I've done it. However, it is unreliable. I used 22 swg copper wire in a coil and a BIG capacitor bank.
A similar method, mentioned in KIBC, is to use an exploding bridgewire. This works with the more sensitive of HE's. A short length of fairly thin copper wire, embedded in the HE, is connected to a cap. bank of high voltage and medium to high capacitance. The huge burst of energy through the wire causes it to vapourise, creating a VERY rapid temperature rise and a small shock wave. The combination of these two factors is enough to detonate the HE. I think this would work for RDX and PETN, and maybe TNP. I have used this method in an experiment with EGDN/NC mixtures with success.

-A-
Frequent Poster
posted 05-24-2001 12:15 AM
I see. And using a composition that gets very hot around the wire, don't know what, potasium perchlorate and sulfur for example or some metallic based mix?. The composition ignites from the wire and then the composition detonates the TeNN by rapid heating?. I talk about TeNN because this HE has the property of detonating if heated violently, not like other non primary HE's.

zaibatsu
Frequent Poster
posted 05-24-2001 01:25 PM
I think it needs to be a little more rapid than that, otherwise you could just ignite it from a normal mix of perchlorate/sulfur, Magnesium/Barium peroxide, or any other high temp comp.
------------------
Handguns don't kill people... Half as well as full-auto
Visit me at www.surf.to/eliteforum

Anthony
posted 05-24-2001 02:50 PM
-A-, MrCool wasn't describing an ignitor. The bridge wire doesn't just heat up and glow, it has a massive surge of power run through that makes it actually explode. Exploding bridge wires can explode violently to detonate secondary high explosives.

FadeToBlackened
Frequent Poster
posted 05-24-2001 04:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PHILOU Zrealone:
...complexes of a reducer and of an oxydiser arround a metal center!...

Does this mean something like TACC? Just wondering.

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 05-28-2001 08:45 AM
Yes!
Tetraamino copper chlorate
Metal center: Cu(2+)
reducer: NH3
oxydiser: ClO3(-)
Other like:
cobalt azido-hydrazido perchlorate!
nickel nitrate hydrazinate
Usually all kinds of complexes containing as reducers: N3(-), NH3, -NH2, -NH2OH, -CN, -SCN, NH2-NH2,..., CO, organic amines, C2H2
and as oxydisers: O2(2-),MnO4(-),NO2(-), NO2 ,NO ,NO3(-),ClO2(-) ,ClO3(-) ,ClO4(-), Cr2O7(2-), BrO(-), BrO2(-), BrO3(-), BrO4(-), IO(-), IO2(-), IO3(-), IO4(-), ...
Arround a metal center:
Cu, Ni, Co, for most of them and Hg,Ag,Fe,Zn,... for some minor cases!