View Full Version : Pink picric acid

mr.evil
September 3rd, 2001, 04:14 PM
hai there,

yesterday i'v been making picric acid, i know that the picric acid crystals usually have a yellow color, but my crystals are pink!, somebody know how this is possible?

i'v tried to detonate it,
it works, i'v mixed with Ap 40/60.
and it detonates succesfully.

so anywone who can tell me why the crystals are pink?.

greetzz from:
Mr.Evil

Mr Cool
September 3rd, 2001, 04:50 PM
I always get salmon pink/coppery colour crystals precipitating out of the reaction.
However, after recrystalisation from boiling water they form bright, lemmon yellow crystals.
So you have nothing to worry about, they are TNP.

PYREX
September 3rd, 2001, 05:23 PM
Why do you mix your TNP with AP? Id be happy to have a secondary explosive that can easily be detonated pure. Also, if you want to test if your product is ok it might be more useful not to mix it with an other (especially not a primary) explosive.

Anthony
September 3rd, 2001, 06:17 PM
Mixing Picric Acid with Acetone Peroxide is *not* recommended. AP must be washed carefully to remove acid traces so mixing it with an acidic compound is asking for trouble.

mr.evil
September 4th, 2001, 01:57 AM
yeah i'v wassed my AP VERY VERY well.
but i'f read somewere that if you mix AP with TNP (40/60) that it becomes stronger and stabiler.

BTW, i'v cleand my TNP crystals in boiling water and they are bright yellow, thanks.

------------------
=mr.evil=

ALENGOSVIG1
September 4th, 2001, 02:50 AM
You arent understanding what anthony said. he meant that mixing picric acid with AP is dangerous becuase picric acid is acidic. why bother washing you ap if you are going to mix it with acidic materials which i definately wouldnt recommend. Mixing picric *ACID* with acetone peroxide does not make it more stable. of course it will increase performance of regular ap.

[This message has been edited by ALENGOSVIG1 (edited September 04, 2001).]

CodeMason
September 4th, 2001, 05:30 AM
AP in an acidic evironment can detonate if you SQUEEZE it in the PALM OF YOUR HAND. I damn near lost some fingers that way.

mr.evil
September 4th, 2001, 10:32 AM
wow is didn't know that!
thanks for the info.

i'm gonna kill that bastard who told me that!

------------------
=mr.evil=

qwerty
September 7th, 2001, 06:29 PM
I maybe false but as I recall mega said in his sythesis section that mixing ap whit tnp stabalised the ap.

kingspaz
September 7th, 2001, 07:06 PM
if doubt mega would have said like that unless he was pissed even then i don't think he'd say somthing like that.
have you actually read the whole thread?
if you had you would have learnt that acidic compounds make AP MORE sensitive. TNP = Picric acid = acidic compound + AP = boom!!

[This message has been edited by kingspaz (edited September 07, 2001).]