View Full Version : New Method for Giant Powder - Archive File

megalomania
June 9th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Fallout85
Frequent Poster
posted 05-23-2001 05:41 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found an old explosives manufacture guide. The composition sounds promising. Apparently this mixture forms nitroglyerin when burned. This then of course explodes.
Here it is.
Two mixes are prepared:
a. 36.06 parts potassium/sodium bisulfate,
28.60 of potassium nitrate, and 9.20 of
glycerin.
b. 50 to 55 parts of potassium chlorate,
and 50 to 45 parts of something rich in
carbon. (Sugar or charcoal would probably
be good).
On ingniting a mixture of the two, it is claimed mixture b evolves sufficient heat to effect the nitrification of the glycerine and explosion of the nitroglycerin. The material rich in carbon is saturated with concentrated soulutions of the bisulfate, nitrate, and chlorate, and dried. The mass is then made into catridges.

Well that is all it says. Someone try it for me, please. I would but I don't have the glycerin or bisulfate handy right now and it is pretty scarce here any way.

-A-
Frequent Poster
posted 05-24-2001 12:36 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, but I didn't understand you very well. Can you explain a little more what do you do with mixes A and B?.

-A-
Frequent Poster
posted 05-24-2001 12:45 AM
Oh, and I forgot: Are you sure it is sodium bisulfate?. Isn't it sodium bisulfite?.

Fallout85
Frequent Poster
posted 05-24-2001 05:07 PM
You mix A and B together in water and dry them.

Fallout85
Frequent Poster
posted 05-24-2001 05:12 PM
I hit the the submit button a little to early, but it is bisulfate. Sodium bisulfite is used in toliet cleaners. As for the bisulfate I have only ever ordered it, and I have never seen it elsewhere. I do seem to remember an article on making it. I think the process is similar to the production of the sodium bicarbonate. Probably similar to the sulfite production as well.

-A-
Frequent Poster
posted 05-25-2001 01:56 AM
What I still can't understand is how does glycerin gets nitrated. From the potassium/sodium bisulfate and potassium nitrate mix???. How is that possible???.

HMTD Factory
Frequent Poster
posted 05-25-2001 02:57 AM
Well according to the first post, the mixture
forms NG when BURNING.

Fallout85
Frequent Poster
posted 05-25-2001 06:25 PM
I am pretty sure the bisulfate forms sulfuric acid. This makes nitric acid or a NOX compound. Then the nitric acid or NOX nitrates the glycerin. The nitration is only supposed to form when the the chlorate and carbon burn. I'm not a chemist though, so I could be wrong.

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 05-28-2001 08:59 AM
How much of the mix A has to be mixed to the mix B?
Is it safe to mix bisulfate and chlorate?
KHSO4 + KClO3 <==> K2SO4 + HClO3
HClO3 <==> H2O + ClO2 + Cl2O + O2

KClO3 and C rich compound like suggar (and glycerine is a polyol close to suggar) is already a low to moderately high explosive!

------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

Fallout85
Frequent Poster
posted 05-28-2001 11:42 PM
Equal proportions I assume. Oh, and yes it would probably be pretty dangerous. I have mixed the two and sugar and at an incredibly low temperature the mix ignited.