View Full Version : Dimethylaniline for Tetryl? - Archive File

megalomania
June 9th, 2003, 05:56 PM
the freshmaker
Frequent Poster
posted 05-27-2001 03:03 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of my summerprojects is making some tests with HE's. But I can't get hold of any dimethylaniline for making tetryl.
Does anyone know where I can buy this?
(I can't buy from chem. supplys in the states!)
Or are there any way to synthese it?
please help me -thanx

------------------
good boy with bad ideas

[This message has been edited by the freshmaker (edited May 27, 2001).]

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 05-28-2001 09:09 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
C6H6 + HNO3 (medium conc) --> C6H5-NO2
C6H5-NO2 + Sn or Fe + HCl -reflux-> C6H5-NH2
C6H5-NH2 + 2 CH3Br --> C6H5-NH(CH3)2Br + HBr
C6H5-NH(CH3)2Br + NaOH --> C6H5-N(CH3)2 + NaBr + H2O
------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

Bitter
Frequent Poster
posted 05-28-2001 09:17 AM
Some of those chemicals are harder to get hold of than dimethylaniline itself.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 05-28-2001 02:46 PM
Hardly. Dimethyl aniline is impossible to get, but all those can be found if you look hard enough.

the freshmaker
Frequent Poster
posted 05-28-2001 03:34 PM
Damn! Actually I have found a company on the net who sell it. They sell alot of usefull chemicals fx ammonium perchlorate and red fuming nitric acid etc. But they only sell to the chem.industri.....DAMn!
I think I will try another HE with some litle more easy-to-get-hold-of chemicals.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a explosive that are as easy to detonate as tetryl...?

------------------
good boy with bad ideas

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 05-29-2001 12:12 PM
Try similar compounds like TeNNapthalene, TNPhenol, TNXylene. Napthalene is moth balls, Xylene is cellulose thinner, Phenol can be found as a cleaner/stain remover. Also RDX isn't too hard to make, but yields can be small depending on the procedure you use.
ANNM based explosives are easy to detonate and very easy to make. AN is a fertiliser, NM can be bought from racing fuel makers (www.model-technics.co.uk IIRC for a UK source)
NCellulose, NGlycerine, NStarch, NSucrose are all quite easy, and use very easily obtainable chemicals. The H2SO4/xNO3 method can be used for these. Ethylene Glycol Dinitrate is good, better than NGlycerine because it's safer but not quite as powerful. Ethylene Glycol can be seperated from antifreezes. Propylene glycol can be used to make PGDN. You can get this out of antifreeze, or ferment sucrose with something (can't remember what, look at Mega's site) to make it. However, PGDN is less stable than EGDN.

the freshmaker
Frequent Poster
posted 05-29-2001 12:48 PM
I was just looking for some easy-to-detonate explosives like Tetryl. Im not too happy about using sensitive primary explosives like AP and HMDT etc. So now I am asking; are there any secundary explosives wich can be brought to detonation of a flashpowder filled bomb (firecracker)?
I won't bring the discuss about if flashpowder detonates, up again, but I just wanna know if there are any relatively sensitive sec. explosives there could be detonated with powerfull flashpower.

Thanx

------------------
good boy with bad ideas

gcic
Frequent Poster
posted 05-29-2001 01:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Cool:
Ethylene Glycol Dinitrate is good, better than NGlycerine because it's safer but not quite as powerful.

Um, why is nitroglycol not more powerful than nitroglycerine? A comparison with the lead block test shows that it is stronger than nitrglycerine.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 05-29-2001 03:44 PM
Sorry, I meant lower VoD (my source is Mega's site, so I trust it!). I get easily confused. I would expect it to be more powerful per gram due to it's better oxygen balance.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 05-29-2001 03:51 PM
NG and EGDN could be set off by flash, or an exploding bridgewire detonator (no primary, a huge electrical current heats up and vapourises a metal wire, causing a shock wave and temperature rise). Maybe ANNMAl as well.
Probably any highly nitrated nitro-ester (NG, EGDN, MHN etc., but not something like mononitrobutanol where the number of nitrate groups per C atom is low) would be detonated when confined with a charge of good flash.

-A-
Frequent Poster
posted 05-29-2001 08:54 PM
Just in case you find Dimethylaniline...It is VERY toxic, and I mean it.I really suggest you try another HE.

kddflx
September 27th, 2003, 07:10 PM
I was just looking for some easy-to-detonate explosives like Tetryl. Im not too happy about using sensitive primary explosives like AP and HMDT etc. So now I am asking; are there any secundary explosives wich can be brought to detonation of a flashpowder filled bomb (firecracker)?

OctoNitroSucrose may be a contestant. IIRC, it is fairly impact insensitive (detonationg from a 2kg weight from 30 cm), and can be detonated by being heated very quickly, like from a firecracker like you said. It also has a fairly high VOD (aproxamately 6000 m/second). ONS also doesn't decompose over time that easily too (30% at 50 degrees celcius per day). There's not really alot of information out there on this explosive, but it sounds good. What do you guys think?

Even better, one could make it easier to quickly heat up, therefore bypassing the firecracker. One way could be to coat the ONS crystals with a quick burning mix like Meal Powder of H3 in form of paste. Just make a slurry of H3 using water and add the ONS to it. Spead out and let dry. now all you need is a heat source and the ONS should heat up evenly leading to a nice detonation.

rooster
September 28th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Soooo Mr. kddflx, have you ever tried to make ONS? After nitrating the sucrose, it is just one big sticky syrup thing. I tried this, and after multiple recrystallizations, it still was gooey. If you do manage to make the crystals, then well, try it, but I dont believe it will be too good.

ONS also doesn't decompose over time that easily too (30% at 50 degrees celcius per day).

You know how ridiculously much that is?? Now, I assume nobody keeps the temp in their houyse at 50c, but maybe 25. The decomposition rate will be much lower with that so much lower temperature, but still, something like 10% a day is insane. That is much more than AP decomposes.

nbk2000
September 28th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Sounds like the typical newbie talking out the side of his neck. :rolleyes:

Provide a procedure and we'll see if you actually have produced crystalline ONS.