View Full Version : the best fireball fuel? - Archive File

megalomania
June 9th, 2003, 06:04 PM
*EnemySuperstar*
posted 02-16-2001 03:27 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've done a few experiments with gasoline fireballs etc. DAMn I like booom and the see the huge fireball disappear in the sky
But I miss the nice yellow/orange colour I have seen in the movies
What is the best LIQUID fuel for these fireballs? Does anyone have some tips they wanna share with a fellow pyro?

Bring it on!

Thanx to anyone who posts

Anthony
posted 02-16-2001 03:57 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SFX in films use "gasoline" for their FAE's.

*EnemySuperstar*
posted 02-16-2001 06:12 PM
Anthony, is it normal gasoline or is there any chemical added?
I have used normal gasoline too, but the colour is very "bright" and the flames are "thin". On the movies they are orange and quite "thick".

Anthony
posted 02-16-2001 06:15 PM
They use several gallons at a time which would give a "deep" looking fireball.
If you're after the black fireballs that they use for aeroplane crashes then that is napthalene.

*EnemySuperstar*
posted 02-16-2001 06:40 PM
How do they set it off - det. cord or.....
In that case, can I use AP?
Won't HE just blow the gasoline away with out igniting it?
What about flashpowder?

J
posted 02-16-2001 07:09 PM
Do a search for napthalene charges, this will give you the info you want to make a fireball.
J

------------------
"If the aquarium water has to be drunk don't waste the fish. In fact they'll probably be the easiest to eat even if you don't need the water. The cat is next in the pot." - John 'Lofty' Wiseman

Anthony
posted 02-16-2001 07:10 PM
The ones I sawe used det. cord.
Do a search for "milk jug FAE" for more information on this subject.

*EnemySuperstar*
posted 02-16-2001 07:17 PM
J, I know about the naphtalene fireballs!
I asked about gasoline (liquid) fireballs!

Anthony
posted 02-16-2001 07:35 PM
Hmm, the search engine is displaying the thread but the link is dead and it's no longer in the Improvised Weapons section (it only displays 6 threads dated before 01/01/01!) It must have got moved to somewhere secret. Shame really, it would have been a good read.

atropine
Frequent Poster
posted 02-17-2001 04:41 AM
yeah the ones ive seen are detcord strapped to a sealed pvc pipe. In the pipe is "petrol"
When it goes off it shaters the pipe, and spews kewl Fir3 every where (had to do that after seeing your last post)

*EnemySuperstar*
posted 02-17-2001 06:10 AM
I'm NOT kewlish

Morrigan
Frequent Poster
posted 02-17-2001 06:15 AM
I saw a documentary (master blasters, pretty lousy, real kewl…) on explosives used to create special effects in movies. They placed a roll of det-cord (2 meters maybe) on the bottom of a drum and placed a plastic bag in the drum on top of the det-cord in a garbage can like fashion. Then they completely filled the bag with gasoline, way too much if you ask me, but it gave a huge orange smoking fireball. It was just plain gasoline. If it works with PETN than why not with any other HE?

J
posted 02-17-2001 07:57 AM
Fair enough :-) IIRC, pyrotechnicians who produce fireballs in films use blackpowder and petrol. There is an art to getting it right, and I don't know the exact method. Obviously the petrol must be sprayed into the air by the charge going off and ignited. I guess that the effect is varied depending on how the petrol is dispersed and at what point it's ignited.
J

------------------
"If the aquarium water has to be drunk don't waste the fish. In fact they'll probably be the easiest to eat even if you don't need the water. The cat is next in the pot." - John 'Lofty' Wiseman

DarkAngel
Frequent Poster
posted 02-17-2001 09:55 AM
Hey Morrigan i saw "Masterblasters" to i record the first+ the 2nd one but with my stupid head i overwrite them(JFC!!)
Very cool Tv shows,,Does someone else have seen it before?

atropine
Frequent Poster
posted 02-17-2001 10:43 AM
Yeah i saw that. They were trieng to take out a building with it. They fired it through a window as i remember.

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 02-17-2001 02:36 PM
Good fireballs can be made my wrapping det cord around a milk jug full of gassoline. But i believe the one kurt saxon did is much more feasible. Although i dont know why it is called a "FAE". Fuel, air, explosion. It just throws gassoline everywhere and ignites it.
------------------
technology is a wonderful servant, but a bitch of a master.

Explosives Archive

[This message has been edited by ALENGOSVIG1 (edited February 17, 2001).]

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 02-17-2001 05:54 PM
I dunno what "masterblasters" you're talking about, but I saw this in the bahamas on TLC. Has anyone seen the episode in which they detonate a massive sphere of TNT?
They used some C4 as a det.

I also saw on the program, they were detonating some ANFO charges underground to blast ridges or something, and the detonators they used were bloody enourmous!!!!!!!! They were twice the size of a bean tin.

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 02-17-2001 07:18 PM
The show is actaully called "blast masters". I havent seen it on tv for some time now. It is exactly waht blackbladder described
------------------

Explosives Archive

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted 02-17-2001 11:41 PM
I'm just confused, Enemysuperstar, you say that you miss the "yellow/orange" fireballs in the movies....gasoline....does...burn yellow/orange. BiG FuCin BOOOOOOOMMMM>>>>>!
In some movie effects now they've taken to using airline fuel in fae effects, its much 'brighter' than normal old gasoline and the firballs remind me of butane burning.

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 02-18-2001 06:26 AM
Butane can burn different colours, when burnt completely, you get a blue flame, but when not burnt you can get an orangey sooty flame, sometimes it can be yellow.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 02-18-2001 07:48 AM
I saw masterblasters. They also had programs on demolition and a few other things. I think blast masters is a different thing, because I never saw them detonate any TNT I don't think.
So is your problem that you want a deeper colour of flame? If so, why not try dissolving some napthalene in petrol? Varying the concentration would vary the flame characteristics.

And how about getting one of those little N2O cylinders, putting a SMALL detonator on the seal, and placing it in a 2L bottle 2/3rds full of petrol, with electrical detonation? It'd give it more oxidiser and produce a real FAE, not just a fireball. BUT if you want a fireball then that's useless I suppose.

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 02-18-2001 03:34 PM
put that little bomb you just described into a building and it can knock the walls out like anything!

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 02-18-2001 09:06 PM
I Think anfo could be used in a large FAE. Since large amounts of anfo must be detonated at a time, it may not be feasible. But it would make a massive fireball due to the excess oxygen in an anfo detonation. Mabe a very thick, large water pipe burried in the ground with an end pointing to the sky half full of anfo would be good. some flint could be placed ontop on top. I beleive NBK came up with the flint idea. Perhaps small zip lock bags containg strike anywhere matches and sand could be placed ontop of the anfo. Gallons Of gasoline would then be placed ontop of the pipe with a small standoff distance i suppose. I would try these things if i wasnt located in the city. If this did work, i dont think it would make a real FAE because anfo doesnt have that much excess oxygen. It would have just enough oxygen to give a rich flame.
[This message has been edited by ALENGOSVIG1 (edited February 18, 2001).]

Jhonbus
Frequent Poster
posted 02-19-2001 12:56 PM
I would be interesting in using some kind of thixotropic (ie becomes less viscous under shock, like tomato ketchup) gelled fuel, containing many tiny bubbles of oxygen gas, or other oxidising agent, Then when a large detonator is placed under it in the manner described by Alengosvig1, It would become very thin and spray everywhere. Also the tiny bubbles would act in the same manner as microspheres, becoming extremely hot under the shock wave and initiating ignition throughout the fuel. I think this would produce a very good FAE.

Morrigan
Frequent Poster
posted 02-19-2001 02:17 PM
I was wandering what would happen if a large amount of ANFO / ANNM with a small compressed oxygen cylinder inside it was detonated in an oil drum full of gasoline?

Donutty
Frequent Poster
posted 02-19-2001 05:17 PM
I've tried two fireball effects with [a] BP and [b] AP. The one with BP, even though there was only about 200ml gasoline (I'm using this word for the sake of the Americans) produced a small fireball, but the AP charge, which had more gasoline, failed to ignite and the detonation just blew the gas sky high, coating the area with a smelly layer of fuel!

Ctrl_C
Frequent Poster
posted 02-19-2001 07:54 PM

quote:
those little N2O cylinders

hehehe...i got some whippits coming in tomorrow, but not for explosive use if you know what i mean

Foodos
Frequent Poster
posted 02-20-2001 12:40 AM
do you really need to kill off brain cells when you handle explosives?

SofaKing
Frequent Poster
posted 02-20-2001 12:23 PM
I have a copy of the master blasters that you're talking about. Has the 500lb sphere of tnt, and the milk jug firball using a partially filed jug and primacord. The stupid thing is that they went of and started talking about nukes, I need somthing I can build here people !!

Anthony
posted 02-20-2001 01:18 PM
500lbs of TNT for one effect?! Gawd damn that must have been impressive!

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 02-20-2001 04:13 PM
I can remember they used a blob of C4 as a det., and it was in this place where there were many bunkers with lots of explosives experts and stuff, they filmed it on ultra high speed cameras, so they could play it slowly and analyse how the TNT blew up, etc.
The explosion was bloody enourmous, there was a violent shock and a massive firey cloud of fire.

Anthony
posted 02-20-2001 06:06 PM
"and a massive firey cloud of fire."
They must have included a load of petrol in the blast. They like doing that.

vehemt
Frequent Poster
posted 02-20-2001 07:00 PM
The 500lb sphere of tnt was detonated for law enforcement training or research or something like that.

DarkAngel
Frequent Poster
posted 02-21-2001 05:55 AM
Fuck last monday i saw the 3th episode of Masterblasters but they only talkt about rockets and satellite`s,,They didn`t say or showed something about explosives(Hmmm why do they call it Masterblasters?)
------------------
--==DarkAngel==--

Go to Section1 http://www.section1.f2s.com Alot off Bombs/Explosives and Homemade Weapons!!,,,Plus a <<Forum>>!!!

endotherm
Frequent Poster
posted 02-26-2001 06:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ALENGOSVIG1:
Good fireballs can be made my wrapping det cord around a milk jug full of gassoline. But i believe the one kurt saxon did is much more feasible. Although i dont know why it is called a "FAE". Fuel, air, explosion. It just throws gassoline everywhere and ignites it.

It is called a Fuel Air Explosion because the gasoline is atomized (not atomically), and will ignite with explosive force if in right concentrations with the air, hence the name Fuel Air Explosion.

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 02-26-2001 07:54 PM
I am familiar with the concept of a FAE.
have you even seen the video by Kurt Saxon? In the video, It is quite abvious that the fuel is thrown about and ignited by the matchhead based pvc pipe bomb. I dont beleive that a 5 inch 1/2" pvc pipe containing matchheads has enough explosive force to fully atomize 4 litres of gassoline.
------------------

Explosives Archive

[This message has been edited by ALENGOSVIG1 (edited February 26, 2001).]

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 02-27-2001 05:46 PM
I know matchheads don't have the "pushing power", so I was thinking of using AP, but AP would rapidly use up the supply of oxygen in the area, so how could you use AP, but make sure it ignites the petrol?

endotherm
Frequent Poster
posted 02-27-2001 07:43 PM
ALENGOSVIG1: I tried to specify but i guess i wasn't clear enough
when i said atomized i did nto mean on an atomic level, i meant just in small particles, like the spray out of a hairspray can or a spritz bottle, if it is "atomized" then there would be rapid ignition due to the effect of spacing between particles,the ignition could be so quick if the conventration/saturation was at a level of equal spacing of gasoline and air, the result would explosive force....
Understand Now?

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 02-27-2001 09:27 PM
i am quite familiar with the concept. You need not to simplify it. mabe you should watch the video. now, enough flaming.
------------------

Explosives Archive

Anthony
posted 02-28-2001 10:23 AM
Blackadder, a small charge of AP isn't enough to suck all the oxygen from the surrounding air, but it will "blow the flame out" in that the explosion will be so fast that the gas won't ignite. NBK suggested mixing lighter flints in the AP to sure this problem (the flints will be heated and thrown out igniting the fuel).

endotherm
Frequent Poster
posted 02-28-2001 08:35 PM
well anyways ALEN I don't flame, gives motive for the murders
Just Foolin
[This message has been edited by endotherm (edited February 28, 2001).]

CodeMason
Frequent Poster
posted 05-14-2001 06:17 AM
I'm sorry, you wanted liquid fuels, but I couldn't resist sharing this.
What you need are four slim lighter fuel (butane) cans, 10 packs of 16 sparklers, and lots electrical tape. Overall, this should cost you around $25. First, make the sparkler core. To do this, just take out all the sparklers and put them in a bunch, with a little bit of electrical tape around the middle so they don't fall apart. Have one sparkler sticking out the top of the bunch, long enough for you to light and have enough time to haul ass. Now place the four cans around the central sparkler bundle, with concave bottoms upwards, and wrap the whole thing up in a shitload of electrical tape. 90% of the time this will work, and you will see an incredible fireball, that has enough force to take out a car. Be warned, this baby gives off killer shrapnel.

-A-
Frequent Poster
posted 05-15-2001 03:42 AM
Is a FAE the same as a dust explosion? I really don't see the difference. The improvised munitions handbook describes how to make an initiator for dust explosions. They use Flour or Gasoline for the main charge so this should be a FAE.
ps: tell me if you want details on how to make the initiator.

DarkAngel
Frequent Poster
posted 05-15-2001 05:54 AM
Yes it is,
FAE mean's Fuel Air Explosion so the dust (Flour,Al powder,Coffee Creamer,etc etc) acts as a fuel like gasoline or an other liqued fuel does in a FAE.