View Full Version : Highly nitrated compounds

Microtek
September 4th, 2001, 10:32 AM
Does anyone here have any info on these?
I'm thinking of such things as hexanitrobenzene ( d 2.01, VoD ca 9500, perfect oxygen balance ) or octonitronaphthalene ( no info on this one, I just saw its synthesis in the index of a chem book ).
There are probably others.
I think it is quite hard to attach those extra nitro-groups, but from the looks of it, it could be worth it; hexanitrobenzene is apparantly more powerful than HMX.

Mr Cool
September 4th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Shit, HNB is almost two and a quarter times more brisant than TNT!
Any chance you could post the synth for ONNapthalene?
There's Octonitrocubane, but that looks VERY complicated and isn't worth the extra effort, at least not as an improvised explosive. Apparently they can't even make the crystalline form they want, so all the research may have been useless!

Well, apart from their novelty value, I think there are better things than these fully nitrated aromatics; there are certainly easier things! EGDN has a perfect oxygen balance and is very easy to make, but isn't particularly good. Keto-RDX seems like a good choice, I think it was Cutefix who said it was 2-3% more powerful than HMX and substantially more sensitive than RDX... and it could be made from DNU, water and formaldehyde. Or Diketo-HMX, I assume this could be made from DNU and formaldehyde in an organic solvent.

cutefix
September 5th, 2001, 01:42 AM
No, it was not me who said that it was that brisant,it was someone else.However K-RDX is powerful but it have only 3 nitro groups.There are others that posses more.Hexanitrobenzene synthesis can be found in U.S.Patent 4,262,148.This explosive looks powerful but its prone to hydrolysis like tetranitroglycoluril.Another hexanitrated material is hexanitrostilbene,but its VOD is lower than 8000m/s.I think hexanitroazaisowurtzitane(HNIW) shows more promise because of its stability and superior power…

HNIW
September 9th, 2001, 03:42 PM
HNB or PNP ( pentanitrophenol ) are well known but they are difficult to synthetise and aren't used in army. What is more they are rather unstable. Cutefix is right it is better to think about HNIW or PBXN-5 ( that one is used in US Army in rockets like maveric ).
For example to make PNP you need 3,5 dinitrophenol and dehydrated mixture of nitric acid and sufuric acid, the product can be recrystalized from CHCl3. PNP melting point is 190C. With water and ammonia it creates special substances which names I can't properly translate to english. With water it creates trinitrofloroglucine and with ammonia and alcohol diaminodinitrophenol.
I have also some information about HNB but still HNIW is more powerfull and is currently produced on technical scale.