View Full Version : AN smoke bombs - Archive File

megalomania
June 10th, 2003, 01:52 PM
A-BOMB
Frequent Poster
posted 05-15-2001 12:18 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You, know the smoke compistion of 6 part potassium nitrate to 4 parts sugar. Well I don't have anymore potassium nitrate, so I
tried it with AN as the oxidiser, the same
formula but it didn't work, so whats up with
this it should work shouldn't it? Please tell
me if I'm wrong.
------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 05-15-2001 02:31 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why should it work? Ammonium nitrate isn't potassium nitrate. They can behave very differently.

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 05-15-2001 02:57 PM
What do you mean it didn't work? It Didn't ignite and/or it didn't produce smoke? NH4NO3 mix with sucrose should ignite and burn quite well. did you use fertizier grade? If it was fertilizer you used it may not of even been NH4NO3 or it may of had fire supressent.
just a thought.
------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back
And, Shoot'em In The Dark"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

kingspaz
Frequent Poster
posted 05-15-2001 05:36 PM
i tried this before to test some ammonium nitrate. it burns but it doens't give off any smoke.....well i don't remember it giving any off at all. can some on please correct me if i'm wrong? i'm not sure if i'm remembering the right thing.

Anthony
posted 05-15-2001 05:41 PM
AN decomposes wholy into gases - no solids (smoke) so it's just the fuel that can make the smoke so clean burning fuels are abviously not suitable. Try the classic newspaper + AN smoke comp.

A-BOMB
Frequent Poster
posted 05-15-2001 07:00 PM
Well first: it did produce smoke, but not much maybe a cubic foot. Second, its the AN out of cold-paks and has no fire supressent.
Third of all it did burn but not to well(used
stromiun nitrate and activator).
------------------
live by the bomb
die by the bomb

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted 05-16-2001 02:33 AM
Who has tried the ammonium nitrate / newspaper smoke bomb? it just won't work! i have tried saturated solutions to very weak solutions of NH4NO3 and there has been little smoke every time. i dried it properly and all, exactly to the specs on the makeshift arsenal site. What could i be doing wrong??

MacCleod
Frequent Poster
posted 05-16-2001 07:05 AM
Hey,SATANIC,try a bit less than a pound of AN (about 4 cold packs worth) to a liter of water.Soak the paper 'till it's saturated,then hang to dry.If it's not completely dry,it won't burn well.I hang mine in a small room with an electric heater running.
Also,if you light it unconfined,it will sometimes flame up,and you get almost no smoke.
[This message has been edited by MacCleod (edited May 16, 2001).]

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 05-16-2001 07:12 AM
i have also tried it to no avail. I got a partial burn of the ammonium nitrate on some of the newspapers but nothing to be to proud about. All the other times the news paper was the only thing burning.
------------------
"If you must, do it with intelligent people, at least they know how to talk to the cops."

Krister
posted 05-16-2001 12:54 PM
Well.. I did it like this..
I dissolved AN to a water, three times (the liquid became strong).. then I soaked a newspaper in the water.

I dried them, and rolled them VERY tight.
Then I rolled the aluminum foil around the roll..

Then I lighted the roll from the end.

I smoked with a harder preasure when the foil was around..

Sorry, about my english

------------------
-Krister Knape

DarkAngel
Frequent Poster
posted 05-16-2001 02:06 PM
Krister where are you from?,Cause your email sounds Dutch/German maybe where in the same country.
I made an AN/Newspaper smoke bomb ones in my dream it worked but there whas a car coming so i couldn't see the whole show

------------------
DarkAngel

For explosives and stuff go to Section1 http://www.section1.f2s.com And http://run.to/section1
sendtosection1@hotmail.com

Krister
posted 05-17-2001 09:28 AM
Iīm from Finland.
English isnīt my strongest subject l.
I think that, its quite easy to get AN.
Do like me, buy the strongest AN fertilizer from a hardwarestore, then, dissolve, filter and boil trick..

The boiling isnīt essential in this time when you do the newspaper smoker, because you soak the papers in the AN + Water solutions..

Take care

------------------
-Krister Knape

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted 05-18-2001 01:42 AM
i tried different ratios / concentrations, so the only difference i can see is the confinement. how would wrapping it in foil create smoke????

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted 05-18-2001 07:40 AM
I cant understand how it couldnt work, maybe its not totally dry.

Krister
posted 05-18-2001 08:50 AM
No, No no, satanic..
I mean that if you wrap the foil around like this:

--- = foil

|----------------\__ ~~~~~~~~~~~
|AN + Newspaper __=~s~m~o~k~e~~~
|----------------/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the foil is around, the smoke will come out with a harder preasure.
The amount of the smoke is same

I donīt know, I did it like this and I think that its better when the foil is around, otherwise the smoke is thin..

------------------
-Krister Knape

firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted 05-18-2001 02:50 PM
You can even use spent cold paks for the AN solution, mostly when i've made them they light on fire like some of you said, once I didn't have matches or lighter so I tried a soldering iron, it worked really well, it didn't burst into flame, just smoke. Also, I haven't tried this because I haven't made these in a while, try lighting it and if it burns, blow the flame oout, I have an untested theory, that this will cause it to burst into smoke

kingspaz
Frequent Poster
posted 05-20-2001 05:45 PM
i think the problem is that the newspaper is actually burning with a flame. what you need to do is to blow the flame out just after you light it then it will smoke lots because it won't be burning properly.

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted 05-20-2001 07:28 PM
i understand the 'confinement' and now i know it did burn pretty brightly, so i'll give it another go without the flame, i was using cold pak AN by the way.

Demolition
Frequent Poster
posted 05-22-2001 08:28 AM
AN smokebombs are extremely fun.My friends and I always make small ones(10cm long by 2 1/2cm in diameter)and let them off in the playground at school.
A few weeks ago at an athletics carnival we let off a big one.The smoke from it covered half a football field and the fire brigade was called.Hehe...Suckers
Demolition

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 05-22-2001 10:23 AM
It is a little less than smart to let be clouds of smoke be seen by crowds, especially at a school. I prefer the cover of night for my fire crackers or out in an old gravel pit there is nobody that will be showing up, unless to shoot and that is kind of illegal here so nothing would be said.
an "Honor Among Thieves" so to speak.
------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back
And, Shoot'em In The Dark"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

DarkAngel
Frequent Poster
posted 05-23-2001 03:12 PM
I maked a very big AN newspaper smoke bomb from a few news papers today in my dream,
I already tested small pieces this morning that worked ok,anyway i lighted the thing and after a few seconds it bursted into very big flames,they where to big to blow out so the damn thing burnd but without smoke.