View Full Version : Improvised Propane/Oxygen Explosives - Archive File

megalomania
June 10th, 2003, 01:53 PM
ALENGOSVIG1
posted 05-20-2001 11:32 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For awhile now ive been experementing with flammable gasses and oxygen. I got fed up though because oxygen is quite expensive. $10.00 for 41 grams. That is only 1.1 cu. ft. of oxygen! So i decided to improvise a little bit and produce my own oxygen.
It is well known that when H202 (Hydrogen Peroxide) + Mn02 (Manganese dioxide) mix causes oxygen to be produced. Alot of oxygen. Mno2 is readibally availible from dry cell batteries.
One could either place Mn02 in a bottle and react it with H202 and fill baloons or you could pressurize a 2 litre pop bottle with and make a much more powerful and loud explosion.

Method:

First you must make an elecrical ignitor in the bottle you would be able to use wires because you wouldnt be able to screw on the cap. So, we must use strips of tinfoil. Take a piece of tin foil and 5 x 2 and fold it over so it is a thick long strip about .25" wide and about 5 inches long and attach wires to both ends. Attach an electrical ignitor to the tin foil strips so you have an ignitor in the bottle with strips of tinfoil coming out of the end and wires attached to the tin foil coming out of the bottle. Remember to coat the ignitor in wax before insterting into the bottle.
Nest, fill a 2 litre pop bottle with propane or another flammable gass by placing the head of a blow torch in the bottle and wait a couple minuts or by any other means. Next place about .5 grams of manganese dioxide in a 2 litre pop bottle. Then add about 30 ml of weak H202. If using 30% H202, the reaction will be too strong. you wouldnt Be able to cap the bottle fast enough. So if using high concentration of H202, add about 10 parts water to every 1 part H202. Right after adding th H202, quickly srew the cap on and get back. If using too much Mn02 and H202, the reaction could burst the bottle, thats if you use alot more than i specified. This will pressurize the bottle quite alot with oxygen and a bit of propane.

You are now done. These are very improvised and weak explosives but are quite entertaining and cheap. Alot more cheap than A salute. Be very carefull with these, they are quite dangerous. When they go off beacuse it throws the H202 and Mn02 everywhere. So you must be quite a distance away. Another idea i have is to add the Mn02 to some liquid which is more dense than the concentration of H202 be used. Perhaps some oil based product or something similar. That way, it would not react until it is shaken.

Be careful with they are not meant to be powerfull demolition explosives. There for entertainment purposes. Its not very entertaining if you get Mn02 and H202 in the eye is it?

------------------
technology is a wonderful servant, but a bitch of a master.

Explosives Archive

[This message has been edited by ALENGOSVIG1 (edited May 20, 2001).]

-A-
Frequent Poster
posted 05-22-2001 12:18 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can't you just heat the H2O2? It will decompose producing oxigen.

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 05-22-2001 12:58 AM
It would be hard to pressurize it wouldnt it though? this reactions takes seconds too. less time than wating for h202 to decompose into oxygen.

zaibatsu
Frequent Poster
posted 05-22-2001 02:51 AM
Couldn't Iron Oxide also be used as a catalyst? Seems that it'd be easier to get the Manganese Dioxide, just go down to the local pottery supplies shop and buy a kilo.
------------------
Handguns don't kill people... Half as well as full-auto
Visit me at www.surf.to/eliteforum

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 05-22-2001 06:44 PM
bleach can also be used to liberate O2, i believe
------------------
"If you must, do it with intelligent people, at least they know how to talk to the cops."

Anthony
posted 05-22-2001 07:04 PM
If you were to throw some manganese dioxide and some calcium carbide into the bottle with H2O2 in, would it explode as soon as the pressure in the bottle reached 2atm?

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 05-22-2001 09:26 PM
Nice Anthoney,
Oxy-Acetylene is quite nice. Put it in a 600ml pepsi bottle had a hole drilled in the lid used a match on a meter stick to light it. The bottom of the bottle was gone and plastic tattered, the top was peeled back like a banana. it was pretty neat and of a nice report.
------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back
And, Shoot'em In The Dark"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted 05-22-2001 11:13 PM
I've dreamed about testing almost every single catalyst to liberate O2, and the most effective is Mno2.

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 05-23-2001 04:32 AM
KMnO4 is much better since it is soluble in H2O/H2O2..the production of O2 is much faster!
Anthony, if the pressure heats up enough the mix then yes it would explode!But if not you would need a little help from a fuse!
I remember an experience at school whit H2 and O2 mix that exploded by pressurisation (thus without contact with a flamme!).

------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 05-23-2001 02:30 PM
sure MnO and KMnO4 are all better ways, bleach is the most cost effective, and easiest to obtain. There is not a spot on earth i don't think, that doesn't sell liqued bleach for use in doing laundry.
------------------
"If you must, do it with intelligent people, at least they know how to talk to the cops."

Anthony
posted 05-23-2001 06:04 PM
I'll try it when I've made some calcium carbide. I thought that acetylene exploded spontaneously when pressurized to 2atm or greater? and that they dissolve acetylene in acetone in compressed acetylene tanks to get around this? If it does then the bottle device shouldn't need an ignitor. Although 2atm is only about 15psi (above atmospeheric pressure) so if the reaction was too fast it would go off damn quick.