View Full Version : Teflon as an oxidizer? - Archive File

megalomania
June 10th, 2003, 01:54 PM
CodeMason
Frequent Poster
posted 05-21-2001 12:25 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The military uses the common plastic Teflon (polytetrafluoroethylene) as an oxidizer in place of potassium perchlorate in incindiary flash powders (60% Teflon - 40% Al or Mg). It's quite perculiar, since it's fluorine and not oxygen that does the oxidizing.
This means good news for pyros! It solves the problem of obtaining/making our chlorates. All we have to do is buy some Teflon, and powder it. Well, there's the hard part. How do guys suggest we go about powdering a hardy plastic like Teflon? Any ideas?

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 05-21-2001 05:07 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Melt it in a block shape since it is thermoplastic and powder it with sandpaper!
------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted 05-21-2001 08:53 AM
NBK once said that Teflon's fumes would probably kill a man, this opens up dangers in the powdering of the product, a coffee grinder would be dangerous.
Flourine reacts with pretty much every organic substance, I guess the generating of flourine causes a reaction with the metal creating an exothermic reaction.

It would take more than the heat of a fuse to start the reaction if this is true.

Is there any reading on this?

[This message has been edited by BoB- (edited May 21, 2001).]

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 05-21-2001 09:55 AM
Teflon is inert towards nearly anything (ESPECIALLY ACIDS, BASES,...) it enters even in the artificial blood made from PFE polyfluoroethylene and that has a big contain of O2...it is a white blood that you have seen in the movie ABYSS...a liquid to breath in (it can also be injected!).
Polyhalocarbons are provent to react/detonate upon shock/detonator when Al powder or Na is suspended in it!
CCl4 + Al --> AlCl3 + C +Cl2 + a lot of heat!
Here the idea is the same:
CF2=CF2 + Al --> AlF3 + C +F2 + even more heat

------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

MacCleod
Frequent Poster
posted 05-22-2001 12:00 AM
Hey,codemason-Firefox sell's PTFE powder;it's $15.00 for 8 ounces.
Oh,Pyrotek has it,too ($8.95 per lb.).
[This message has been edited by MacCleod (edited May 25, 2001).]

-A-
Frequent Poster
posted 05-22-2001 12:14 AM
Powdered polytetrafluoroethylene can only cause some skin or eye irritation. It is used in magnetic stirrers as it is very inert. Halogens can cause a reaction.

Desmikes
June 11th, 2003, 10:14 AM
For what purpose is Teflon used for/how do I know that it is teflon? Few months ago I came across some site where this dude swore that if you mix toothpaste containing KNO3 and powdered CD's and some catalyst, then you get shock-sensitive xplosive, that releases flourine as well. When I read that I labled it as pure crap, since kno3 is never used to make HE. The way author explained this nonesense was that KNO3 oxidizes plastic, which I thought was rediculous. But the "symptoms" were similar to this thread's so I thought I'll bring it up.

frogfot
June 11th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Coffe-grinder probably wouldn't handle teflon, since it's too soft. Is it worth to try grind some on grater and mix with Al (paint grade). Maby lighting with KClO3/sugar.
In which form do they use teflon in abovenamed military comp, size of particles? Google seems to give lots of results, but not useful ones..

Anthony
June 14th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Desmikes, you sure you weren't reading the "Anti-Phorum"? ;)

arm
June 14th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Some toothpastes for sensitive teeth contain Strontium or Potassium Nitrates, however, this is usually around 10-20%. The guy probably lit the stuff and it burned with a slight fizzle. Being a 12 year old kewl fuckpiece, he called it a powerful exotic thermite.

My signature says it all.