View Full Version : LOX - Archive File

megalomania
June 10th, 2003, 01:58 PM
god
posted 05-26-2001 09:54 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i did a serach and did not get any thing so how do you make LOX and what are it's like it got the idae from this sit http://ghg.ecn.purdue.edu/~ghg/
i think that this is just too good to be true or is it is there any other names for it like liqued o2

FadeToBlackened
Frequent Poster
posted 05-26-2001 10:10 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOX is just liquid O2 (hence the LOX: Liquid OXygen). It is made by superchiling or probably compressing oxygen gas a lot.

PYRO500
posted 05-26-2001 10:49 PM
the way they LO2 is by liquefiying air, this is done by compressing it in a tank to thousands of psi (don't try at home) and they blow the liquifyed air (under pressure) through an expander, this makes the air boil and get very cold and condense in an expander tank, then they heat the tank to certain tempatures and take off the gasses that evaporate at diffrent temps and store them and pressurize them again seperatly and recondense them using the coldness of the first liquification step to make the process more efficitent. this is obviously something that cant be done at home and is horribly inefficient and costly not to mention slightlydangerous

god
posted 05-27-2001 12:36 AM
thanks for all the good avice i geas that i will not be making any Lox

EP
Frequent Poster
posted 05-29-2001 06:06 PM
Making it is a huge hassle, but if you happen to come across some, it can be useful. LOX explosives are made simply by soaking LOX into something like charcoal and set off with a detonator. These used to be quite common as a blackpowder substitute until cheap HE's were available. In fact, drink thermoses were invented as a result of experiments to make a good container for the LOX.

Teck
Frequent Poster
posted 05-30-2001 01:42 AM
LOX was used by welders mostly and were required a license to handle or transport it, because of its dangerous nature its is barley used anymore. If a tank if that stuff ruptured it oxyginated everything and caused invisible fires from the excess of oxygen. I dont know how true this info is but thats what I learned from my teacher in college.

PYRO500
posted 05-30-2001 02:20 AM
you need a hazmat liscence to drive a truck of it. but it is still used I see trucks of it roll down the highway. it is indeed dangerous and fires with LO2 can be hot enough to melt concrete and cause explosions if it is in an inclosed space. for example a couple of road flares ignited in a truck would probably blow the inner bladder and if it hit the outside hard enough it would burst causing a real problem if it hit anyhting sparking or already burning

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted 05-30-2001 03:18 AM
there was a story on tv about a guy who got sick of waiting for his barbeque to burn down, so he added O2 gas, burnt it from logs to coals in 3 minutes. wasn't good enough for him though, so he ordered a tank of LOX, and suddenly, by leaving a lit ciggarette in the fire , and pouring over the LOX, he could burn it down to coals in 3 seconds. (unfortunately the entire BBQ was melted in to the ground.)
.: just so you know... it's powerful shit.

for those of you in australia, it was adam spencer and karl kruzelnitski's science show (from triple J)