View Full Version : ap pressing - Archive File

megalomania
June 10th, 2003, 02:00 PM
shady mutha
Frequent Poster
posted 01-23-2001 05:06 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How much presure are people putting on there ap when pressing detonators?I press mine with a pen or stick.I fill the tube about quarter way the press it in sections first softy tamp it down then I put the pen in and press it and about the same presure as one would apply to sticking a pen in fresh soil,then give it a slow push down with the pen with about 1 quarter my bodywieght{80 kilos.}I keep going untill its full.

Cricket
Frequent Poster
posted 04-01-2001 08:06 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I should soon be needing some detonators. I know how to make them, about how much explosive to use, and so on. I have several hundred .44mag shells and would like to use them for detonator casings (while using the primer hole for the fuze hole). I also have the pressing machine required to reload them (it squeezes the bullet in the shell). So I thought it would be a good idea to pack my primary in the shell and use a bullet to mash it down nice and tight while sealing the detonator. I don't know if I can pack HMTD or AP and didn't want to experiment it. I did however experiment it with Pyrodex. I could fit a LOT of powder in there. I don't know how much so I will do it now and weigh it. I could fit 2.915943 grams of Pyrodex in. It was solid, looked like a piece of slightly pitted metal, and felt smooth when I scratched it with a pen. Then I put it on the stove and it detonated the primer and plastered solid chunks of Pyrodex on the stove and made a big cloud of smoke with a bright flash. Anyways, I was wondering how much pressure you can safely put on HMTD or AP. Thanks.

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 04-01-2001 08:27 PM
well if i read that right, and you were able to basically press the pyrodex into one single grain, than that is WAY to much pressure for AP. that is tantamount to suicide if you ask me. just get a wooden dowel that fits into the mag shell and use that as a press. you don't have to press it to hard to get a good detonator. just put a bit of pressure on it and you should be all set.
------------------
...Æ

Cricket
Frequent Poster
posted 04-01-2001 08:57 PM
Ok thanks. Probably saved my life (or at least my ears, hands, machinery, and some jail time).

Microtek
Frequent Poster
posted 04-02-2001 01:11 PM
Shady: I put about as much pressure as you do, but I don't think it's safe. I think making a mechanical press would be good since removing your hands just 20 or 30 cm from the cap will mean the difference between a few cuts to your fingers, and the almost certain traumatic amputation of at least the fingers and maybe even the hand, if it ever detonates on loading.

frostfire
Frequent Poster
posted 04-02-2001 05:34 PM
always safety first boys....
damp with alcohol or acetone everytime you make a detonator out of alcohol/acetone soluble compound.
I myself prefer making AP putty with nitrocellulose and while it's still a wet lump, I stick my tube into it, insert the fuse/electric fuse and give pressure with a pastle then crimp the tube after sealing with some cork or cotton
(damp, not dissolve)

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 04-02-2001 09:28 PM
either way, wet or dry (damp or dry as the case might be) i still wouldn't put the same amount of pressure on the AP as you would if you were making a single grain SP... seams to risky to me and a little overkill to boot.
------------------
...Æ

SATANIC
Frequent Poster
posted 04-03-2001 03:10 AM
Try a detonator without pressing it, and then with a heavy pressing. Test both, and if it makes no difference, don't press it. As there is a lot of risk associated with pressing, avoid it as much as possible

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 04-03-2001 04:08 PM
well, there is a difference, that is why pressing is needed to make a good cap... especially out of AP, it isn't the most powerful stuff in the world. i think AP detonates at about 4500 M/s when pressed to like 1.4 grams/centimeter. unconfined, or just confined with no pressing doesn't produce that effect.
------------------
...Æ

Demolition
Frequent Poster
posted 05-05-2001 11:16 PM
Hopefully at school this term I'll make a shell reloader for pressing AP and other explosives used in blasting caps.I thinking of using Ash or another hardwood.Any ideas?
Demolition

bryan_wilson65
posted 05-11-2001 06:52 AM
It should be possible to make a press that could be operated from a distance, right? In that case you could make a stress test and use, say half the pressure of ignition?

Demolition
Frequent Poster
posted 05-12-2001 08:19 AM
Hopefully with my design my hands when pressing AP should be 60-70cm away.
Demolition

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 05-12-2001 11:40 AM
i would suggest, if you design can allow it, to place heavy plexiglass between you and the machine so as to provide one more level of protection. Assuming a detonator goes off, the plexiglass will go a long way to protect your hands and face. And as always, where goggles when doing this. No need to be blind for the rest of your life.
------------------
"If you must, do it with intelligent people, at least they know how to talk to the cops."

Anthony
posted 05-12-2001 03:39 PM
I agree with Craghack that a blast screen is a good idea, plexiglass (acrylic) being so brittle could throw more schrapnel at you than the cap casing would.
I think something simple like putting the cap inside a roll of tape or wrapping it in heavy cloth would stop any scrapnel.

Demolition
Frequent Poster
posted 05-12-2001 10:51 PM
Thanks for the replies.I'll let you know how it turns out.
I was thinking of some kind of shield but then,as Anthony said it could throw more shrapnel than the casing itself.Maybe if the shield was 15-20cm away from the casing it wouldn't shatter however there is always a chance,especially when pressing larger amounts of explosives i.e. 5 grams.