View Full Version : Dimer or trimer ? - Archive File

megalomania
June 10th, 2003, 02:04 PM
Cyware
posted 04-24-2001 05:37 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi guys,
…At my first AP synthesis, I was taken all the precautions, and I conducted the reaction at low temperature just like at the NG making. I obtained a batch around 100 grams, wich, once thoroughly dried, produced a nice flameball in contact with fire. Then, I was really hurried (it was 1 day before New Years Eve, and in my country New Year’s Eve is the equivalent of the american’s 4 July from the fireworks show point of view), so I haven’t so much time and patience when I synthesized another batch. That’s why I didn’t bother with the temperature, and the glass with reactants was pretty warm when I put it in the fridge… As you could expect, the result was, maybe, mainly consisted of very sensitive dimmer form of AP.
Next day, I used resulted AP for making some strong firecrackers (50 g each, detonated with lead azide), and some of the AP remained unused (about 100 g). Now, the cool part: because my girlfriend was in the kitchen, cooking some fry potatoes, I felt the need to scare her. With, of course, a teaspoon full of the AP crystals, remained from the “fireworks show”. The problem was that, in addition to 1/2 m diam. flame ball I was expected, I also obtained the loudest “BOOOM!” I’ve ever heard so close to my ears. And to my girlfriend ears, too (for sure!). If fact, she was really hysterical, both were deaf, and shocked for one hour… So, if you want to make AP, DO IT AT LOW TEMPERATURES, unless you’re live worth nothing for you…

I think that if you are not concerned to conduct the reaction at low temp, you'll obtain the dimeric form (more sensitive than trimeric form), and the kind of the acid used doesn't matter at all (I heard that instead of sulfuric acid, you can use hidrochloric or even citric acid). Is that true ?

FadeToBlackened
Frequent Poster
posted 04-24-2001 05:42 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why were you using lead azide? AP will go on its own.
I doubt citric acid will work, im pretty sure it has to be a mineral acid. Hydrochloric and sulfuric acids both work, but with sulfuric you must pay attention to the temperature. H2SO4 + water = heat, lots of it.

wantsomfet
Frequent Poster
posted 04-24-2001 07:38 PM
100g AP produced a flameball? How did you do that??? I would expect a relative powerfull detonation!
And using explosives to scare someone, is *extremely* uncool. And if you have to do it, don't choose your girlfriend!
You should be careful with AP, a teaspoon full detonating in your hand could hurt you very bad!

------------------
for best catfood visit:
catfood.tsx.org

PYRO500
posted 04-24-2001 07:44 PM
Ive had more than that go off with a fireball, it was just wet, wet ap has a hard time going from deflagration to detonation by it self

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 04-25-2001 04:04 AM
Yes, funny to see that when wet you get a orange muchroom fireball, but when dry, you get a bright fireball.
I suspect the guy droped the wet AP in the cooking pan of her girlfriend with frising oil....
"Hey honey, here is some salt... BOOM!"

Never drop an explosive on a hot plate, especially in a kitchen!I have done this with 0.5g of hydrazine perchlorate...what a bang it made when it hit the overheated plate: the spoon, whit what I was holding it, was completely twisted in the form of my hand (before I trowed it in the air no beeing able to hold it) and deformated by the shock.

------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

Teck
Frequent Poster
posted 05-03-2001 04:42 PM
I had about 250 g go off on accident, what happened was I was drying a new batch that I made on my work bench, I spread the AP on some newspapers in a really thin layer, then I started working on my shop fan that broke a few days earlier, so as I was working I accidently short cicuted some wires in side the fan the next thing I see is this huge fireball in the shape of a mushrrom cloud go up in to the air, I was about three feet away from it and it burned the hair off my right arm,

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 05-03-2001 05:36 PM
How on earth did TWO HUNDRED GRAMS of AP make a fireball?
I would expect a very meaty detonation! Not some pussy fireball.

PYRO500
posted 05-03-2001 05:45 PM
it sounds like you weighed your ap wet, well ap is pretty light but moisture will throw of your measurements by a mile

-A-
Frequent Poster
posted 05-10-2001 01:43 AM
Hey, I agree with wantsomfet. Some thing's adre NOT for making jokes. Only a couple of grams of some fulminating compunds can cause deafness, and an AP cracker can even blow your hand off so be carefull.
Teck, 200 grams??!!?!. I wouldn't be closer than a few blocks from that!.

bryan_wilson65
posted 05-11-2001 06:42 AM
Yup. Some of you guys are most definiteliy nuts. And I thought I was, when I made up a batch of 100g AP in one beaker. It could have killed me, easily.
10g of this substance in a pile will detonate violently, punching a hole straight through a roadsign. When dry of course. But 10g can also make a fireball if spread out in a <1mm layer. I burned a nice picture by spreading it in a pattern.

CodeMason
Frequent Poster
posted 05-13-2001 07:06 PM
Woah, 200 grams of AP is equivalent to like 10 sticks of dynamite. You're SO fucking lucky that didn't detonate on you man.

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 05-14-2001 09:02 AM
So following you a stick of dynamite weights 20g? A little too little I think don't you?
Also CTAP is 80% power of TNT!
------------------
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

Anthony
posted 05-14-2001 03:01 PM
Standard dynamite cartridges are (IIRC) 8" long and 1 1/4" dia and weight 1/2lb.

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 05-15-2001 07:51 AM
That's precisely what I meaned!
------------------

Arthis
Frequent Poster
posted 05-15-2001 11:36 AM
Maybe a joke. Because when AP isn't confined at all , and is laid on a large area, even great quantities won't explode, just make a fireball.

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 05-16-2001 05:08 AM
A joke???
Do you know that when trowing a lighted match in benzine there is 1/10 chance for it to go boom; the nine other chances are for the match to estinguish in it (yes that happens) or simply to burn it!
My father once had the case when lighting a wet wooden fire with benzine (only 100ml of it)....hopefully he trowed the match from a 2 meter distance and the air flow was in the good direction otherwise he would have been burned severely!
So no it is not a joke!
Why the hell then some guys here tell you that when heating 10mg (yes mg)in the open they have had a detonation; and others tell you that when setting fire to 10g sometimes a big fire ball happened and sometimes a BOOM!
If with one chance on ten you want to take the risk, go ahead, after all I'm for the free will stuff! Everybody is partially master of its own destiny!