View Full Version : Peracetic acid - Archive File

megalomania
June 10th, 2003, 02:06 PM
FingersNgore
posted 05-14-2001 08:55 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I got a cleaning fluid very cheap. It says 30% hydrogen peroxide and peracetic acid at pH 1. This is very cheap, and solves two problems at once. If it works, then others can use this too, it is sold in 40kg cans. But peracetic acid is a strong oxidizer afaik, can it still be used?

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 05-14-2001 10:46 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
what concentration is the peracetic acid in the solution? if it is like 1% then it is just being used as a stabalizer to slow the decomposition of the H2O2. I am going to assume for now that that is its' purpose. you will still need to add a mineral acid to the mix (you want to be informed about AP production right?) like H2SO4 or HCl. I am sure you can find it, so there is no need to "kill two birds with one stone" by buying your hydrogen peroxide with a trace amount of acid in it.
------------------
"If you must, do it with intelligent people, at least they know how to talk to the cops."

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 05-15-2001 07:57 AM
Isn't it simply a mix of vinegar and H2O2?
I guess so!
CH3-CO-O-H + H-O-O-H < === > CH3-CO-O-O-H + H-O-H
Thus
CH3-CO2H + H2O2 < === > CH3-CO3H + H2O
------------------
"Life that deadly disease sexually transmitted".
"Chemistry is all what stinks and explode; Physic is all what never works! ;-p :-) :o)"

FingersNgore
posted 05-15-2001 08:54 AM
It only says peracetic acid pH 1 on the can. I read somewhere that TCAP only needs hydrogen peroxide and acetone, then the reaction speeds up when it gets under pH 2. The hydrogen peroxide 30% sign is at least very clear, the soup is spicey.
If that
CH3-COOH + HOOH < === > CH3-COOOH + HOH
is right (I guess so too) then there is maybe some CH3-COOH left in there. Can I still use this, by adding a mineral acid? Is there a chance this might blow prematurely because of this? I can not see why, but...

PHILOU Zrealone
Frequent Poster
posted 05-15-2001 09:21 AM
No there is no reason since it is diluted and remains in solution!So after cristallisation, the cristalls just need a good usual wash with distillated water!