View Full Version : Ice Projectile

subsonic
June 12th, 2003, 07:36 PM
I tried to find a recent Discussion about a frozen liquid Projectile, couldn't find one, so I started this one.

We all know the Benefits of a Projectile that will melt a couple of seconds after its usage. I was thinking about its usability in a common Firearm like a silenced Pistol or Rifle. Some thoughts:

-It must be frozen right until it will be used. Magazin must be loaded quickly and then shot right away.
-A mobile Mini- or Micro-Refrigerator would be useful/required. Any ideas?
-Plain frozen Water will be too easy to be used as a projectile.
-Lead or an other Metals Dust could be mixed with the liquid.
-An elastic substance instead of plain water could increase its stability (ie. gum arabicum). The elastic substance would also prevent the metal dust to sink down while freezing the projectile.
-there might be some substances which help to "delay" the melting process for some seconds.
-the projectile could simply be casted using a foundry-form made of any material.

Any suggestions? Is it possible at all? Or will the bullet break into thousand pieces even before it will leave the muzzle? Any Ideas, Improvements? Links? Thanks a lot!

Mr-Eckted
June 12th, 2003, 08:24 PM
I can't say for sure, but i belive that water would shatter before it left the gun.
What about using frozen meat? I don't think that meat would shatter. It would leave a residue of meat, but who would suspect that the meat was the murder weapon? Any comments from those wiser than me (anyone) ?

EDIT: tricky o's and r's!

McGuyver
June 12th, 2003, 11:12 PM
LOL:p Frozen meat, that's great. I think it would be kinda hard to get meat to freeze nicely enough to be used for a bullet.

Not that I believe in movies are real but in a movie, there was a sniper who used frozen water for bullets. I think he shot two people in the head with one bullet. I wish I could remember the name of the movie. I think he had a small case that was liguid nitrogen cooled.

Regardless, the bullet would have to have some kind of casing, so it isn't just casting the bullet. The bullet would have to be manufactured in some type of refrigerator. They are more complicated than you think.

irish
June 12th, 2003, 11:13 PM
To push frozen anything down a barrel at a decent velocity is going to melt it due to friction.
Also frozen water, meat etc has a very low density, to get a good impact energy is going to take a hell of a velocity for the some load (w/w).
remember that unjacketed lead can only be pushed to about 2200 fps or so I don't think anyone has tested frozen meat :D .

nbk2000
June 13th, 2003, 02:45 AM
This is extremely lame...:rolleyes: