View Full Version : Citric Acid

klassasin
June 13th, 2003, 07:14 PM
I am wanting to obtain some citric acid to make HMTD. I was wondering where is it found at stores? I read about in the pharmacy, but what is it used for there. (Local stores include Albertsons, Walmart) Where else can you find it? I really want some and the good thing too is that it isnt as deadly as HCl (I presume)

VX
June 13th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Here (http://www.rhodium.ws/chemistry/citricacid.txt) is an article from Rhodiums site about extracting citric acid from lemon juice. Aparently you can get 1 pund of acid from 2 gallons of lemon juice.

klassasin
June 13th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Where can it be obtained at stores? Which stores and under what name?

GibboNet
June 13th, 2003, 11:31 PM
It is found at ANY supermarket, in small jars / tins / whatever, and is used in cooking.

The only thing I've ever used it for is to make sherbert. :rolleyes:

It's only a few dollars Australian for 50 grams or so. Look around the rest of the cooking additives like baking powder etc.

EP
June 13th, 2003, 11:54 PM
Not ANY supermarket actually, it depends on where you live... I looked at numerous places with no luck, even after asking the people at the stores. I do know it can be purchased at some specialty cooking stores. It is used in making soap and might be found at craft stores for that purpose. I got tired of looking and just bought 2lbs of eBay...:rolleyes:

Haggis
June 14th, 2003, 12:00 AM
Just today I was browsing through Sears. I was in the water heater/softener isle. I came upon a white tub with blue letterings. The thing was 19.99 I believe and looked to contain about a kilo. The contents were listed as 'citric acid'. I have since forgot what it was for or what the name was, but this will give you a better idea. You probably havn't looked, as I also found citric acid in Wal-Mart. It isn't in the pharmacy, instead in the detergent isle. It is made by Humco and is in a white bottle with a pinkish lable. It's a 'laundry acidulant'. Around a pound and about 8 bucks. During canning season, Ace hardware has little (perhaps 100 grams) cans of citric acid. The acid inside are small chunks and are used for canning tomatos, 1.99.

zeocrash
June 14th, 2003, 03:42 PM
citric acid is used for drain cleaning, and descailing, have a look there

kingspaz
June 14th, 2003, 07:10 PM
its also used in home brewing so have a look on a few homebrew websites.

klassasin, try adding some manners please :)

klassasin
June 14th, 2003, 08:52 PM
Thanks for all the help everybody. Kingspaz what do you mean? :confused: (Do you mean how I am talking? or that I am not being appreciative? I am sorry if either be the cause)

nbk2000
June 15th, 2003, 02:29 AM
There's an antiacid called "Picot" that's half citric acid, the other half being mostly baking soda. I don't know if the bicarb would interefere with the citric acid reacting with the hexamine.

kingspaz
June 15th, 2003, 08:27 AM
klassasin, you just seemed a little demanding in the above posts. not to worry though its the water cooler.

metafractal
June 15th, 2003, 08:51 AM
NBK, am I missing something? If you just added the antacid as-is to the solution, upon contact with moisture the Sodium Bicarbonate would neutralize the citric acid to sodium citrate, CO2 and water!

klassasin
June 15th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Removed

nbk2000
June 16th, 2003, 11:41 AM
That's very probable, metalfractal. Though if you nuetralized the baking soda with a mineral acid like HCl, than you'd get a solution of salt and citric acid, which could then be used. Though if you had the HCl, you wouldn't be needing the citric in the first place, eh? :)

ossassin
March 3rd, 2004, 09:08 PM
I just bought something called Ever-Fresh. It is a "fruit protector." The ingredients read: sugar, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), citric acid, ticalcium phosphate (for pouring ease). It is possible to extract the citric acid? Would it even be worth the time and effort?

parabolic
May 8th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Hi folks, been ages since i asked a question, board is looking good,

could any of you chaps please tell me if out of date citric acid can still be used to make good HMTD,

thing is i bought about 2kg of the stuff becaus i panicked bought as soon as a saw i could get it.

the best before date is end of 2003

now does this mean it will not be any use for making HMTD
giving very unstable and strange results?

or does it just mean it might not be fit for human consuption after this date.

it would be a shame to waste it but i can get fresh stuff anyway

thanks peeps.

Para

Harpoon
May 8th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Citric acid doesn't have any pharmeutical use I think, although it is sold in pharmacies. The product they give you is usually citric acid monohydrate, meaning it contains one molecule of water per molecule of the compound (e.g. it is fairly dry).

Citric acid probably has a sell by date on it because it absorbs water, but it will still work fine. Citric acid does not decompose under normal conditions (room temperature etc.).

The fruit protector could be to stop apples turning brown after they've been cut, as there's a saying that lemon juice will stop apples from going brown.

Try not to get citric acid and peroxide in your eye (as I did :rolleyes: ). It stings like crazy.

parabolic
May 8th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the darn quick answer,

the individual 250gr packs are sealed in plastic bags and in a cardboard box.

Thanks

Para