View Full Version : switchblades - Archive File

megalomania
June 14th, 2003, 08:13 PM
wiredfreak
posted 02-21-2001 01:11 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyone know where You can buy a switch blade kit with shipping under 20 $ I found one site that did sell them but ): 20 $ knife = 68 $ shipping. I want a kit because kits are legal in the USA

[This message has been edited by wiredfreak (edited February 21, 2001).]

atropine
Frequent Poster
posted 02-21-2001 03:20 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAHAHAHA. No. Switch blades are illegal just about everywhere except S.Africa. They are flimsey as fuck. And they will break after you have pissed around stabbing shit with it. I made my own version ages ago. I knew a normal flick knife would break. So mine was a sharp hardened steel spike, ejected by a car hatch opener. That i still have. Come on a kit flick knife. Like airfix or something?

zaibatsu
Frequent Poster
posted 02-21-2001 05:10 PM
Yeah but you can get gun kits in the US, so you would think...

Zero
Frequent Poster
posted 02-21-2001 05:30 PM
I've always wondered- Why are switchblades illegal? I mean, they're knives. They're knives for lazy people that want to press a button to open them. You can buy 12 inch daggers with no problems, but not a 6 inch switchblade. They're afraid they give people an unfair advantage in fights or something?
~Zero the Inestimable

AR-15 Man
Frequent Poster
posted 02-21-2001 06:07 PM
I think they are more afraid of better made "automatic knives" not those POS made in tawian junk. I had the chance to buy a few but passed up. I don't see any real benefit compared to some other knives. My smith and wesson special ops is pretty fast to open. I have a legal automatic cause it is spring assist. One time my bro with his Smith and Wesson swat knife and me with my kershaw blackout had a contest who could open faster. I had him beat by only like 1/5 a sec. I could see a use for automatic knives if you had thick gloves on for the push button type.

Metal
Frequent Poster
posted 02-21-2001 10:44 PM
Personally I don't like switchblades, the reason that they're illegal is because of how fast they can open with their spring mechanism (press a button and there it is). Now I think that it doesnt matter my Smith and Wesson SWAT knife can be opened with a small flick on the wrist.
Instead of a switch blade you should get a Balisong (butterfly) knife. Once you learn how to manipulate it properly you can use it for various things (fist loads, kubaton, use it to pinch you opponent, "smack" you opponent with it, and offcourse stab, and slash). They also look fucking scary, if you start whipping it around the fear factor will make you opponent shit in his pants and run to his mommy (trust me on this one).
You can buy them on eBay. Dont get a cheap ass 15$ one. Get a Jaguar for around 25-35$ or if you really want to go out get a Benchmade 42 for around 120-150.

By the way I just got Jeff Imadas Balisong Manual which I will scan in and upload in around a week.

To learn more about Balisong techniques go to http://www.balisongxtreme.com

------------------
Knowledge Is Our Greatest Defense Against Their Ignorance

[This message has been edited by Metal (edited February 24, 2001).]

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted 02-22-2001 01:07 AM
Butterfly's are fun knifes, its fun to watch it fly out of my friends hands when there trying to open it
I only know the standard (2-turn) opening method, it seems to be the fastest, this one time while trying to open the knife really fast I failed to move my hand as fast as the knife and got the biggest bloodblister on my middle finger...

FragmentedSanity
posted 02-22-2001 03:05 AM
Lo all
I live In Australia... and over here the laws are a little different - cant legally get even a butterfly knife... but that dont matter - they are easy to make.
but making a decent switchblade is a bit more of a task, and one I'm yet to do well. I was always interested in one of those kits - for the simple reason that if I saw the bits and put it together I could replilcate/improve it.
Atropine : - If youd care to give a more detailed description of the one you described I for one would be appreciative
If anyone out there has some schematics Id also be interested
And Metal - I cant wait to get a copy of the balisong manual - would be nice to know what to really do with one
later all

wiredfreak
posted 02-22-2001 02:47 PM
I was looking for a conversion kit sorry I did not make myself more clear I want to convert a case knife of mine

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 02-22-2001 02:54 PM
FragmentedSanity, enough of the smileys.

firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted 02-22-2001 03:58 PM
I have a 4 inch switchblade that (believe it or not) my dad gave me a while back. I just have fun playing with it. Scares the shit out of some people

NightStalker
Frequent Poster
posted 02-23-2001 06:48 AM
as english is not my first language i have a simple question: switchblades are anything that you press a button and the blade comes out?
If i understood this correctly you can buy those legally in germany from the time you are 16 years old. I have a speed-lock and on or two others. i never suposed they were illegal in the US... weird world, guns are easy to get and there are limitations on knives...
------------------
Death stalks silently....

wiredfreak
posted 02-23-2001 09:22 AM
stupid its damn stupid

firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted 02-23-2001 10:34 AM
Man those balisongs are awesome! I went to that site, and that guy goes crazy fast on some of those openings. It would scare the shit out of me if someone I was about to fight started manipulating that knife. Inspiring. Now I want one.
[This message has been edited by firebreether (edited February 23, 2001).]

sealsix6
Frequent Poster
posted 02-23-2001 10:24 PM
If anyone lives in the NYC or will be in the NYC area I can give u a exact store where to get some good high quality illeagle weapons for cheep cross bows 60lbs brass knuckles switch blades swords nuncuucks snap batons almost anything.

SofaKing
Frequent Poster
posted 02-24-2001 03:58 AM
hey seal I might be going to nyc can you list the addy. thanks
Also can you get firworks in chinatown, were ?

I've got a butterfly knife that I got for 10 bucks at a bunshow it's loads of fun, but scratched to shit

That site dosn't work for me anyone else ?

[This message has been edited by SofaKing (edited February 24, 2001).]

Brainmonkey
posted 02-24-2001 03:39 PM
the site isnt balisongextreme.com its balisongxtreme.com (sorry dont know how to do hyperlinks in HTML im only learning) that is a wicked site some of the advanced stuff looks really dangerous

Ctrl_C
Frequent Poster
posted 02-24-2001 03:43 PM
no matter how hard i try, i cant use a butterfly. i cut my hand up so bad trying to use those fuckers. i have to admit though, when they are in the hands of someone that knows how to use them, they're awesome.
on a similar note., my friends brother had a competition to see who could get the biggest weapon past metal detectors and security officers into the school. The winner: 18" machette.

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 02-24-2001 05:26 PM
Security officers and metal detectors in SCHOOL????? What the fuck?!
Man, that could only be in America!

blackadder
Frequent Poster
posted 02-24-2001 05:53 PM
I know, lol
I once knew a person who went to this american school where every single morning they had to get past the metal detectors, then have their jacket searched and their bag searched, and even then, if people even heard about anything suspicious which involved you, you spent half the day in the headmaster's office being interrogated(sp)!

[This message has been edited by blackadder (edited February 24, 2001).]

Metal
Frequent Poster
posted 02-24-2001 07:39 PM
18" machete... very impressive.
Guy got lucky, if they caught him with that he would be fucked. The security guards were probably paying little attention. If I even try to bring a sharpened key into my school they'll find it.
I have to find some kind of a weapon to bring in I just dont know what. Something that will get past the x-ray and metal detector. Hmm... a pen can always do some damage but I need more than that. I was thinking of making "brass" knuckles out of one of those hard plastic cutting boards.
Lucky me I'm really starting to get better with my Balisong. I should have the book scanned in and uploaded in a week(hopefully).

------------------

Foodos
Frequent Poster
posted 02-24-2001 08:54 PM
ctrl_c, how you make yourself look like a pro with a butterfly knife:
use a butterfly knive with a single edge

line up the dull edge to where when you flip it around its smacking your hand (if youve used a butterfly, you know what I mean by this..its easy to line up)

flip it around as fast as possible keep a good grip.

sealsix6
Frequent Poster
posted 02-24-2001 11:34 PM
I hate this I got done typing up a whole thing for this and I hit something and it all dissapered well what I was sayin is that I can contribute more to this than ask questoins because I know alot about this topic first SofaKing I will get the address for you I will ask my friedn for it because I know how to get there I just dont know the exact addy second thing Ctrl_C if you are holding the knive by the handle without the latch you should be doing just fine and I dont know why the spell check doesnt work for some reason for me

SofaKing
Frequent Poster
posted 02-25-2001 04:48 AM
The link works fine now and thanks
Also on my knife the latch is on the side that the sharp of the blade closes on.

sealsix6
Frequent Poster
posted 02-25-2001 03:43 PM
Sofa that is the way it should be the sharp side goes into the latch handle so you hold it by the side without the latch handle

Metal
Frequent Poster
posted 02-25-2001 06:51 PM
Not all butterflys are the same. The safe handle is the one opposite of the one where the sharp side of the blade goes into. The handle without the latch is ALMOST always the safe handle but not always.
------------------

BaDSeeD
Frequent Poster
posted 02-25-2001 09:17 PM
Ok.. some of you know that i am a knife collector.
Out of the 400+ knives i have... i have nearly two dozen that could be considered "switch blades" (those are front opening), "stilleto's" (side opening), and newer styled "automatic knives". Also a few butterfly's.

I can tell you also why these have been banned. Idiotic beurocrats have mistaken the flash they produce in meaning they are lethal. Granted they can be... but just because something is fast and flashy dosn't mean shit. Its a stupid law, but... shouldn't concern anyone.. because all of the above, with the exception of a few of the newer automatics, are complete garbage. Only your very high end ballisong and automatic knives are worth the money. Here's why:

Switch blades: These front openers are very very thin bladed, breaking easily. The steel usually used in them (especially the ones you can get in mexico) is so damned soft.. it wont take an edge. Also the mechanisms in them are unreliable. Often during an stabbing motion, upon much resistance.. the blade releases and falls back into the handle. Some times they dont even lock open, but just bounce around. Also they are pretty small. I've NEVER seen a good switch type knife.

Stilleto's: While stilleto's (side openers) usually have a longer and thicker blade, most again, are too soft to take an edge. Like i said, most. There are some very good italian models, but they are also in the 200 - 300 dollar range. Also... i have had springs break inside the stilleto's, this permanently jambs them closed. Some of the italian models, i have seen as big as 14 inches. With very heavy, strong, quality blades. However... the heavier blades... put more wear on the springs.. making it more likely for them to break. Murphy's law... this could happen at the worst possible time, when you need it most.

Ballisong: Butterfly knives CAN be good. Most however arn't worth two squirts of piss. 90% of the butterfly's i've seen for under 50 bucks are made so poorly, that when the handle is closed around the blade, the edge of the blade hits the inside of the metal handle! Try and keep that kind of knife sharp! Every time you close it, especially in the traditional manner, you've just made it as sharp as a "butter" knife. Also.. as someone pointed out... some knives are made with the latch on the wrong side.. causeing some people, to slam the edge down across their knuckles.

Automatic Knives: Now this is the term given to the new generation of stilleto's. They have a totally different look than the traditional ones, combined (usually) with excelent blades. The styles are more comfortabe to carry in your pocket, and more comfortable in your hand. The only problem here, is they still use springs, and can still break.

My advice to any of you looking for a knife, is forget all these flashy ones. Why would you want to get arrested for carrying an illegal knife, that has too many drawbacks in the firstplace. They are an unreliable weapon at best, and an innefective weapon at worst. You'd be much better off getting a 5 - 9 inch bladed sheath knife. First of all, its not illegal; second, it is not likely to break EVER; its easily sharpened; and if wielded correctly, just as intimidating as any other knife you could imagine.

In short.. the stilleto's, switch's, ballisong, and automatics are nice to have in a collection... but i wouldn't want to trust my life to one.

------------------
BaDSeeD
Knowledge is the true power, ignorrance will bring your demise.

J
posted 02-26-2001 12:48 PM
I can personally vouch for the crapness of front opening switchblades. The blade is loose and wobbles around, and my one broke not long ago because I opened it using gravity (blade didn't lock when the button was pressed), and I swung my arm with so much force that the blade simply shot out!
I quite like butterfly knives. The moves look impressive, and there is a faster way of opening the knife than the traditional swinging. Grip the catch between your first finger and thumb, with the knife hanging vertically down. Prevent it from falling open with the parm of your hand. Jerk the knife upwards and towards you, and catch the handle with your fingers so that you're holding the knife in a vertical stabbing position. Closing it is trickier, but simple with practice.

Another problem with butterfly knifes is that the blade becomes loose after a while (on the cheap ones anyway). The handles are usually made of a brittle alloy, I've seen them just snap when dropped.

It's a pity these are illegal in the UK, because I'd quite like to buy a decent one. I'll just have to wait 'til my next trip to France/Germany.

BTW, this link should come in handy:

http://knives.at/knifeshop/info/siche.html

I've never ordered anything, if anyone from the UK has ordered from this (or other shops) I'd be interested to hear if the knifes got past customs.

J

------------------
"If the aquarium water has to be drunk don't waste the fish. In fact they'll probably be the easiest to eat even if you don't need the water. The cat is next in the pot." - John 'Lofty' Wiseman

firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted 02-26-2001 02:38 PM
From what I've heard and seen of balisongs, just about anything you buy is shit and will break. Most of them the pins break and you can easily replace them with a finishing nail, see BalisongXtreme on how. But it seems to always happen at the critical point. Or like the Bear MGCs the handle will break the first time you go to fast and send it soaring.
BUT if you want to shell out around 130 for a benchmade then you have it. Supreme excellence. It wont break, bend, or anything. SO good. The handles are titanium so they are strong and light so it is easy to whip around. Blade is Steel. Pins are hollow titanium pressed into the socket, held in with a titanium screw. If you break your old cheapie and want high quality that will last get the BM 42!!!!!!!

PS Butterfly knifes are cool they look like a nunchucka when you flip them fast.

SofaKing
Frequent Poster
posted 03-01-2001 02:06 AM
Here is the technique mentioned above http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/article5.html comperable to tac folders and fun to. Got it here http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html .

Zero
Frequent Poster
posted 03-01-2001 09:34 AM
I dunno. Call me old fashioned, but I like regular old manual open lockback side openers. I have a cheap (but very durable) Schrade I picked up at Home Depot for about ten bucks that's got a 50/50 serrated blade and composite handle. I used some screws to put a belt/pocket clip on it. I can open that knife (it's not even designed to be a one hander) in an instant so I don't really see the need for all these flimsy "novelty" knives. But that's just my twisted opinion...
~Zero the Inestimable

DaRkDwArF
Frequent Poster
posted 03-01-2001 08:22 PM
Bah, I use a SOG PUP I keep in my boot and a Cold Steel Medium Voyager (half serrated, tanto tip), that's in a bad neighborhood though, generally I just carry my Pocket knife on myself LoL

IronWarlock
Frequent Poster
posted 03-06-2001 11:57 AM
wanna cheap balisong or switchblade? or a stilleto for that matter? just go to mexico lol, but i have to agree with a few of you here about how switchblades and balisongs break, besides there illegal so dont get caught with them, personally id recommend a throwing knife with a nice sharp point but thats my opinion
------------------
back and better than ever

ASSGREMLIN
posted 03-07-2001 02:13 AM
Metal: why don't you try one of those pen knives? ya know, the pen, where when you unscrew the back, theres a 2-3 inch blade? I was gonna get one of those from SF china town, but the bastards in the store *claimed* that they were legitament business men with nothing illegal. So i just bought a... i think it was a pilot knife or something. it was a blade attatched to a metal sheath, and another one that doubled as a handle. And that shit opened FAST. Does anyone know what im talking about??
Anyway the penknife: http://www.pimall.com/nais/e.knife.html

Metal
Frequent Poster
posted 03-07-2001 04:32 PM
I have a pen knife. My problem with it is that if you try to stab "something" with it your hand will slide down and the bladde will cut you.
------------------

BaDSeeD
Frequent Poster
posted 03-08-2001 04:43 PM
Ok guys, due to recent events, I've come to the realization of another drawback to folding knives, as well as stiletto's, ballisong, and switch blades.
Most of the older posters on here know more about me than the newer. Anyhow, I am from Buffalo, New York. And anyone who has ever been here knows that its a hell of a party town. Bars open till 4 a.m. (usually last call at 4:30), and a few streets have a dozen or so bars within a two block stretch. Unfortunately, some of the best clubs are in the worst neighborhoods. They even frisk most people for guns at the door.

Anyhow, last night some friends and I went out to have a little fun at a few of the clubs, and of course, as usual we closed the place. After my friends and I said our goodbye's outside the door, we headed our separate ways to where we had parked. I had chosen the parking ramp simply because it was closer than finding a spot on the street. And while walking to my car, this black SOB walked up to me to ask for a cigarette. I couldn't exactly say no nicely by saying I didn't smoke (had one in my mouth), so I shook one out of the pack and offered it to him. Well the bastard immediately pulled a folding knife out of his coat pocket, and flicked it open via a thumb stud on the blade. Seeing as we were so close, and that I had to leave my Ruger in the car to go into the club, I reacted immediately, instead of stepping back first. I slapped at the back of his knife hand with my left, took a partial step forward, and in an uppercut type of swing, used the heel of my right hand to the bottom of his jaw. Well anyhow, his teeth clicked together, and his head snapped back hard enough where he probably blacked out a little, and wound up on his ass. Giving him some credit, he recovered pretty fast, and rolled to the side, and took off running. I tried to catch the bastard, but with my size, and the fact that the fucker ran like a track star, I had no hope of catching him. On the way back to my car, I happened across a cop walking his beat, and gave him a statement for his report, and a description. Well they found him about an hour later (in the same area, the dumbass) and took him to the station where I identified him. Needless to say he will be going to jail for attempted robbery and assault.

Now I got to thinking about this last night, and during work today. Here is the interesting part. When I slapped at the back of his knife hand, guess what happened?
The knife slipped out of his hand, and skidded across the concrete! I never realized this before, but have had to do it hundreds of times myself. When you open a folding knife with a thumb stud, open a stiletto, or switch blade. You have to switch your grip on the knife BEFORE you can use it! With your fingers tucked under the knife to allow the blade to open, and your thumb on top to work the stud, button, or switch, its not a very solid hold on the knife. That's why it came out of his hand. If he had a sheath knife, I may have gotten a filleted arm for my trouble, or worse. Since when you draw a sheath knife, you hand is already in place to use it, with a solid grip. I may have never realized this if it wasn't for this incident, so I thought I should post it here.

Another plug for sheath knives I guess. And more proof that your pistol is useless if you don't carry it on you.

------------------
BaDSeeD

BaDSeeD
Frequent Poster
posted 03-09-2001 04:33 PM
Metal I found a site that you might want to look at.
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/plastic.htm

Its got articles on several "plastic knives".

------------------
BaDSeeD

Metal
Frequent Poster
posted 03-09-2001 04:57 PM
Thanks, very... interesting.
------------------

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted 03-09-2001 05:32 PM
I used to have a sheath knife and I love how fast there "combat-ready" plus a high quality one will last you forever, theres no moving parts to break.
With that said, my butterfly is funnest knife I've ever owned.

BaDSeeD
Frequent Poster
posted 03-12-2001 01:41 AM
I have always liked sheath knives myself. But the problem is, that they are a pain to conceal any of a decent size.
With that said however. My favorite that I own for carry, and use is my "Buck nighthawk".

I have some that I like a LOT better in looks... but I never use them for anything... just part of my collection.

Anyhow, the blade length is just about right, not too long. The steel is a little on the harder side, it makes it a bit more tough to sharpen, but it holds its edge a little longer.

The handle is very comfortable (even when whittling), and the grip is secure even with bloody, or wet hands(I use one of them for hunting, so don't ask about the blood). The only thing that I might have made different on it had I made it myself, would have been to make it with a bigger blade guard. The one it has is certainly functional, but on the small side. Although... if it was bigger, it probably wouldn't be as comfortable to use.

------------------
BaDSeeD

richl261
Frequent Poster
posted 04-10-2001 02:42 PM
the flick knife kit which was described earlier isnt illegal in america..at least i saw some guy selling them at a flea market in florida. man, he had an awesome selection of knives...

richl261
Frequent Poster
posted 04-10-2001 02:47 PM
ps, there is quite a lot of good stuff including knives at http://www.spytech-uk.com/ (ppl from UK mainly should look here cos its based in blackburn)

they have some great stuff

Anthony
posted 04-10-2001 04:49 PM
That site is great! They've got some good stuff and loads of books like Poor Man's James Bond.
Definitely one for the bookmarks!

richl261
Frequent Poster
posted 04-10-2001 07:11 PM
hehe yeah, i love the ninja darts and the pistol crossbow
I'm going to order that crossbow and in the mean time, piss my pants laughing some more over the forum at weirdpier!

firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted 04-11-2001 08:26 PM
I just bought a butterfly knife, a 30 dollar (US) jaguar. I got it from a store in the mall. I was lucky I was with my friend because oyu need to be 16 to buy one and I'm 15. It is so much fun to flip, and I don't really care if the pins break because I can replace them. I was with my best friend(girl) and was surprised to find out that she shoots guns, she is a REALLY good sharpshooter and wins contests, so, I have a new source for smokeless, BP, and primers, lead balls for a mill. It is cool, she shapes her own bullets! peace out

Pyro
Frequent Poster
posted 04-11-2001 09:43 PM
Damn bro,you got fucken' lucky. I'd love to meet a girl like that. I bet she's some type of fat,trashy,schizophrenic though right? A girl like that always fucks you(not literally) because you think "oh shit,she's a sharpshooter and a source of smokeless,BP etc. etc.!" Then you find out she has a dick or something like that -Pyro

zaibatsu
Frequent Poster
posted 04-12-2001 03:59 PM
talking from experience?

richl261
Frequent Poster
posted 04-14-2001 07:51 AM
a switchblade from nato :?
i didnt know they carried them..

firebreether
Frequent Poster
posted 04-14-2001 02:53 PM
No, actually shes pretty fuckin hot. And she is cool. Maybe she will show me her gun room where she has like 50 guns, maybe i'll get to shoot some of her muskets or her dads sniper rifle. She hit and X from 50 Yards, which is pretty damn good if ya ask me considering I could barely see a target that far.

mark
Frequent Poster
posted 05-01-2001 08:31 PM
I just bought an italion stilleto, and it verry nice. Its got a 3 inch blade, and I love playing with it. Its got one of those locks that allow you to close it with one hand.