View Full Version : "Fire Ant" - Archive File

megalomania
June 14th, 2003, 08:22 PM
nbk2000
posted 03-22-2001 06:54 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's an interesting little gadget I ran across while surfing.

It's called a "Fire Ant" and it uses explosively formed projectiles to defeat tanks.

The prototypes were destroyed when the EFP was fired, but the latest generation is reusable.

Looks like something that could be easily enough improvised since it uses a quad runner.

What I'm thinking is that, rather than aiming the EFP parallel to the ground, aim it vertically. Then drive a scaled down (R/C car) FA underneath an armoured cars engine compartment and blow a big hole in the engine block. If an armoured car can't move that eliminates their chance of fleeing thus making it much easier to break in.

It could also be used to assassinate a person by directing the EFP underneath their seat.

For these purposes you would need a highly powerful explosive, a well designed penetrator, and a non-fragmenting container so the FA could place the charge under the target without getting destroyed when fired.

This is to prevent leaving behind a destroyed R/C that can be traced through the serial #s.

I'm thinking a EFP attached to the front of the FA using a small electromagnet that will release the EFP when the reverse is used. And if the EFP charge has a grenade fuse attached it will explode 5 seconds after release, which is more than enough time for the R/C to get away unscathed.

Any other ideas on what a FA would be useful for?

BTW, I found it in a PDF. You can now search PDFs on the web using the Google search engine ( www.google.com ) and at the beginning of your search terms entering "inurl:pdf" (no quotes). For example "inurl:pdf "fire ant" explosively" will pull up the aforementioned PDF as the very first listing.

------------------
"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them"

Go here to download the NBK2000 website PDF.

Go here to download the NBK2000 videos.

[This message has been edited by nbk2000 (edited March 22, 2001).]

Crux
Frequent Poster
posted 03-23-2001 08:49 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is the thing that has been talked about in other posts.
i've seen it on a show about weapons they set it up next to a road and it has a sencer that tells when something moves infront of it. then it blows up sending that copper plate at the target completly fucking it up.
on that show they had all sorts of r/c weapons useing quad runners and cars.

J
posted 03-24-2001 02:50 PM
If the victim was aware of the attack method, it would be simple enough to jam the signal if the vehicle was homemade (i.e, using hobby rc gear). Not to mention interference from the kid playing with his rc car!
I've always been interested in rc attack vehicles, but I've never got round to building one.

J

------------------
"If the aquarium water has to be drunk don't waste the fish. In fact they'll probably be the easiest to eat even if you don't need the water. The cat is next in the pot." - John 'Lofty' Wiseman

DaRkDwArF
Frequent Poster
posted 03-27-2001 04:28 AM
ahh good point J, but if it were a VIP in an armoured car that would not work, for it could jam an R/C car it could jam alot of other civilian devices, mobile phones, construction gear, robotics, sensitive electronics, etc.. it just wouldn't be allowed on a commercial armoured car, and hey, if they do jam the R/C car get it with something else, you would go prepared wouldn't you?

PYRO500
posted 03-27-2001 02:55 PM
I think PCM (pulse code modulation)recever/transmitter pairs are harder to jam

Anthony
posted 03-27-2001 04:46 PM
Yeah they are, (standard RC gear is PPM [IIRC]) more expensive too.
[This message has been edited by Anthony (edited March 27, 2001).]

nbk2000
posted 03-27-2001 10:29 PM
I would think a person could modify a 2GHz spread spectrum phone and base station set to be a remote.

Spread spectrum is not only very difficult to detect, but it's also nearly impossible to jam. God bless modern consumer electronics.

Plus the more expensive ones have a line of sight range of almost a mile.

Forward 1 2 3 Left 4 5 6 Right 7 8 9 Back * 0 # ARM Detonate1, 3, 7, 9, and 0 are all unused.
The arm * must be held down while the detonate # is pressed. This is to prevent premature or accidential explosion because of sloppy button handling due to stress.

And I'd imagine it would be feasible to make a fiber-optically guided Fire Ant where the steering commands are sent as coded pulses of light to a phototransistor over commercially available fiber.

------------------

PYRO500
posted 03-27-2001 11:26 PM
why run a fiber optic cable when wire will work, I'd personally get a cheap IR laser and an ir laser detector and get a beam diffusor and a aiming scope, then your basic stamp module deodes the signal and oes what you tell it to.

nbk2000
posted 04-20-2001 07:09 PM
Found a website where you can download a couple of videos of the Fire Ant in action.
http://www.sandia.gov/isrc/Capabilities/Integration_Technologies/Fire_Ant/fire_ant.html

------------------

hodehum
posted 04-20-2001 09:41 PM
By chance did you find this while looking for feature recognition software and sensors for your tele-sniper file?

nbk2000
posted 04-20-2001 10:44 PM
No. I was just looking for more info on the fire ant. Needless to say, there was butt loads of info about the insect kind that I had to dig through.
The idea of pattern recognition for remote weapons is neat, but it's out of reach for the "home" experimenter because of the cost and highly specialized nature of the electronics.

The best available right now is motion detection (like in "The Hit" story) and (remotely possible) facial recognition. A person would probably have to custom write their own code if they wanted anything really sophisticated.

------------------

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 04-20-2001 11:56 PM
If you had the equipment to program the chips it might not be that hard. But I don't so that would be a bitch. using some video game drivers as the software(you can easily buy kits for programming your own video games at future shop), and some servos you should be able to set it up. bestof luck to those that try.

nbk2000
posted 05-02-2001 09:58 AM
Quad runners are very fast. My landlords quad can do at least 50mph over fairly rough terrain, as fast or faster than an Abrams.
Quads are very small compared to other vehicles and would be very difficult to detect and intercept, especially lying in ambush.

Quads can carry 200 pound loads easily. A maverick or hellfire missle can destroy an Abrams and they have only 100 pound warheads.

Tank armour is thickest at the front. True, top attack is effective, but so is rear and side attack through the threads. Which is where a fire ant would be attacking from.

A fire ant is much easier to improvise than an R/C plane capable of carrying a similar sized warhead. If you could build an R/C that big, why not just make it into an attack plane that you could fly in yourself? It'd be about as hard to do it that way.

An old quad can be bought for about $2,000. Another thousand for electronics and warhead. Can you make an R/C plane that will carry a 200 pound warhead for 3 grand? I doubt it.

As for practical reasons for making one....Waco. The government loves using tanks for murdering people because they know they're safe from anything the people might have to resist them with.

But if a fire ant came flying out of a hidden bunker, ran up a tanks ass, and blew a hole through it, setting it and everyone inside on fire, how eager would the next tank crew be to try it? At the very least you'll have taken some of the bastards with you before they kill you.

And with the right equipment, you could drive a swarm of fireants into the attackers base camp and take them out and escape during the confusion.

And what about driving one through the front doors of a "rouge" government building? Several hundred pounds of high explosive exploding from the inside of a building would be the equivalent of a truck bomb outside. All the concrete barriers and road blocks couldn't stop it. And you could have several of them inside of a moving van attacking several different buildings simultaneously, a swarm attack.

------------------

[This message has been edited by nbk2000 (edited May 07, 2001).]

angelo
Frequent Poster
posted 05-03-2001 12:48 AM
chaos... absolute chaos
------------------
angelo's place
have a good link? add it here

nbk2000
posted 05-03-2001 07:03 AM
One has only to look at the actions of the government against civilians minding their own business and getting slaughtered by tanks and fire to see a pattern emerging. A pattern of evil and suppression of "differentness".
BTW, there were abhrams tanks at Waco, M113s at Ruby Ridge, and almost every other "mind control cult, gun hording militia, meth cooking, bomb making, child raping, kill the parents to save the children" incident in the last decade.

I see a pattern of where, every time someone says "we want to be left alone to do our own thing", the government says "we can't let you do that for 'the childrens sake'." and comes rolling in with the tanks. After they capture you, you disappear into the federal prison system, never to be heard from again.

Why do you think they're slowly banning guns? "They're not banning guns, they're simply taking away 'evil' assault weapons that have no sporting purpose" I hear you say. BULLSHIT!

Eventually, the only weapon people will be allowed to have (after DNA, fingerprinting, retinal scan, 1 year 'cooling off' period, ATF home inspection, and in home 24 hour video monitor installation) will be a single shot black powder musket. Just ask the brits here about gun control.

Why? "For the children" they always say. "We have to get rid of guns to keep the children safe" they say. What they really mean is "We don't want the children of today to be able to resist us when they're the adults of tomorrow.".

More people have been killed in the 20th century by their own governments than by all the wars and criminals. That's a fact no one can deny. And all of those killed were disarmed first! Ask the jews, poles, albanians, bosnians, and cambodians killed by the Nazis, Communists, Khemer-Rouge (SP?), etc.

The only thing stopping that from happening here in america is an armed civilian population. Once that's gone, we're sheep for the slaughter.

As for the EFP vs. Shaped Charge...EFP may not have as much penetration, but it can reach out much further than a SC can. Watch the video, the FA destroys a tank at least 50 yards away. A SC is ineffective more than four or five times it's diameter from a target. Show me a shaped charge that can penetrate a tank from 50 yards away....you can't.

Some people try to compare a Fire Ant with a military missile like a TOW or Hellfire. You can't get those missiles, I can't get those missiles, and more likely than not, no one here can get those missiles. Also can't improvise such missiles.

But anyone (with the money) can buy a quad runner and strap a huge bomb to it, and make a remote control for it from commercially available components available almost anywhere.

------------------

[This message has been edited by nbk2000 (edited May 07, 2001).]

Agent Blak
Frequent Poster
posted 05-03-2001 10:22 AM
It is best to have tactics that suit your equipment, skills, and ability; It makes know sense to say I will snipe them at 3000m with my .50cal, if you don't have a .50cal and/or aren't that good of a shot. I feel that no one needs to have a "Belt Fead" machine gun. I see the governments point there. But I think everyone should have the right to own FireArms(under most circumstance). I was taught by my father at a very young age(about 6-7 years) how to shoot. I at that age knew how to shoot accurately enough to down a man at 100m. it doesn't mean I did it; It means I could. I was taught respect for weapons and safety; thats is the way I think it should be(taught to you by your old man, etc.). Every person should know how to fight or fight back; I was taught at a young age by my father; I wasn't picked on to much. I feel thet it is necessary for a person to know how to defend themself, family, a property with what they have commonly avaiable.
you have to ask yourself in what interest is it for a government to disarm its population?

------------------
A wise man once said:
"...There Will Be No
Stand Off At High Noon
... Shoot'em In The Back
And, Shoot'em In The Dark"

Agent Blak-------OUT!!

PYRO500
posted 05-05-2001 02:24 AM
he did notscrew your post up for his own benifit, you are bedcoming a whiner, and it is increadibly annoying, as for editing your post to our likeing it is offical mod busnuess, we can vent our anger at you through your posts therefore helping us view the forum with an unprejudiced view, this message was fairly edited this could have been MUCH worse. act right unless you want to end up in the new banned for life section.

SofaKing
Frequent Poster
posted 05-06-2001 01:30 AM
Many quotes come to mind about goverment, tyranny, and armed populace, and revolution. But I can't quote them right now because I watched TV tonight. The government of the world have been progressing towards tyranny for sometime and with out resistance will become totalatarian. Nuff said.
About the OK city bombing McVeigh is just the fall man like oswald, the bombing was perpatrated by the government, to progress anti-freedom laws.

Going up against a tank is a largly foolish endevor. Attacking the fuel depot would just as easily neutralize the tank, with much less effort.

------------------
With Knowledge we find Truth - With Truth we find Freedom

Igenx
Frequent Poster
posted 05-07-2001 12:28 AM
Just a thought, candy man (warhead...)
ANY of us here are dangerous. Just knowing how to make weapons, be they explosives, guns, or radio controlled anti-tank weapons makes every one of us here a potential threat to society.

I like most (I'd like to say all, but I know for a fact that there have been a few people that have proved me wrong) of the people here don't want to kill with what they know. Also like me, the people here have proved that they believe they have a right to defend themselves. Just as NBK said, the lack of a way to defend yourself kills a hell of a lot more people than does a single (or ten thousand) loons with car bombs.

Igenx
Frequent Poster
posted 05-07-2001 12:30 AM
And my apologies for continuing an off topic subject. Still needed to be said.
~~IGENX

PcThUg2ooo
posted 05-07-2001 06:42 AM
Ok, ive been reading posts on this board for about 6 months or so now but havent been bothered regestering up until this point.
Nbk2000 you sound like a very smart person, id think you would be the first person to support freedom of speech.
Whatever is said, if it makes sence or not, if its correct or not does not deserve to have any of "his/her" posts edited. This is a basic necessity, in my point of view anyway. Pointing out mistakes i can fully support, but flaming someone for being wrong, on purpose on not is not fair.
I hope by posting this i didnt start of on the wrong foot, greets anyways.

nbk2000
posted 05-07-2001 12:26 PM
You just don't learn, do you? Well, you'll have plenty of time to learn somewhere else 'cause you're outta' here warhead!
------------------

PcThUg2ooo
posted 05-08-2001 05:23 AM
You are speaking like you think i am warhead (I was referring to warhead, not you. NBK2000). This is truthfully not the case.
I know it may seem like that, but i asure you that it is not.
I will keep reading the forums tho, but prolly not post because im hear to learn, not to teach. (much like you id say, but seems like u have too much spare time)

[This message has been edited by nbk2000 (edited May 08, 2001).]

Viper4403
posted 05-10-2001 12:12 PM
If you're going to make a remote controlled
bomb, why not have one that will do more
than one thing?
You could have a video camera attached to,
say, an automatic weapon (assuming you could
make or acquire them) for remote firing.

How about an anti-personnel munition, where
instead of one big chunk of copper, you
had a good dozen or more designed to spread
off in a wide pattern like a shotgun blast.

You might try a system which might have 2
or 3 launch tubes for mini-missiles, with
or without explosive warheads.

It could even be used as a delivery system
for toxins or chemical agents. Wheel up to
an A/C vent, window, etc., and trigger the
device to spray its contents into a building.

The possibilities for such a vehicle would
be quite broad.

vulture
June 15th, 2003, 07:01 PM
How expensive are magnetic field distortion detectors used in torpedoes? They would ensure the thing detonated as close to the tank as possible, because judging that through a video image or from a distance might be quite hard. It would also allow using less explosives.