View Full Version : Chloroacetone: warm or cold? - Archive File

megalomania
June 14th, 2003, 08:27 PM
FadeToBlackened
Frequent Poster
posted 04-29-2001 08:38 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To anyone who knows about making it, does being warm or cold favor a more efficient reaction?
Also does anyone know how to remove the methyl (CH3) group and replace it with a benzene ring to make chloroacetophenone?
CH3-CO-CH2Cl > C6H5-CO-CH2Cl.
I have seen chloroacetone listed as 'vesicant, highly destructive to mucus membranes, and possible mutagen'. The only information i could find about chloroacetophenone was actually about dibromoacetophenone. Thats the closest info i have found, and it sounds about as bad. Which would be less harmful in terms of mucus membrane destruction and mutagenic properties?
I have just learned that all of these compounds can cause pulmonary edema. Would diluting them (greatly) eliminate this risk?

[This message has been edited by FadeToBlackened (edited April 29, 2001).]

Mr Cool
Frequent Poster
posted 04-30-2001 02:13 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I wouldn't mess with any form of chemical weapons, except things like lacrimants. They're almost all carcinogenic and cause birth defects.

FadeToBlackened
Frequent Poster
posted 04-30-2001 05:06 PM
Yes, I know that. The above mentioned chemicals are lachrymators/lachrymants, whatever you want to call them. Chloroacetophenone is CN type tear gas (used to be the most used. Now CS is). Chloroacetone is similar but has some quite bad side effects. I assume you would use the chloroacetone in making the chloroacetophenone.
-I now see little or no point in making the chloroacetone into chloroacetophenone, as they are both about as bad as each other. CN (latter) is a co-carcinogen (cancer promoter). CS tear gas (which i believe is now in use) IS a carcinogen. They are all vesicants.
Hmm..still they are interesting
[This message has been edited by FadeToBlackened (edited April 30, 2001).]

nbk2000
posted 05-02-2001 10:13 AM
Chloroacetone is in no way used for making CN (chloroacetophenone).
The NBK2000 PDF has a section on making chloroacetone that you may want to check out.

And chloracetone is very corrosive to skin, just like any strong acid.

------------------
"The knowledge that they fear is a weapon to be used against them"

Go here to download the NBK2000 website PDF.

Go here to download the NBK2000 videos.

FadeToBlackened
Frequent Poster
posted 05-02-2001 06:36 PM
Yeah I have your PDF and it rocks. I just thought MAYBE chloroacetone could be made into CN. Its kinda hard finding CW synthesis on the net unless you know where to look (which I don't).