View Full Version : soap or styrofoam??? - Archive File

megalomania
June 14th, 2003, 08:33 PM
protical sun
posted 01-22-2001 10:11 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
which is better for making napalm, or maybe there is something better. i love fire.lol im stupid.
-sun

------------------
'if you don't know what it is don't blow it up'

'what doyou got against me? is it my girl or is it the bentley.' -puffy

[This message has been edited by protical sun (edited January 22, 2001).]

PYRO500
posted 01-22-2001 10:26 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ok, it is "napalm" and that is not a way to ask a question here, we need to know the application that you are using the napalm for, be it flame thrower, molitiv cocktail, or fire bomb, I cannot set off napalm here (stupid flammable grass) but I would think it would be easyer to use styrofoam as it already comes in small pieces, also you might consider using oil beacuse you want it to be thick, but not too thick, just enough to stick
(just dont rack up too muck bad karma )
[This message has been edited by PYRO500 (edited January 22, 2001).]

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 01-22-2001 10:34 PM
i haver actually done the atyrofoam and gas thing and let me tell you. DAMN! is that shit sticky, and it burns just as well as gas does. i have not tried the soap, i have always just stuck with the styrofoam. it is good, sticky, flammable shit.
------------------
...Æ

protical sun
posted 01-22-2001 11:57 PM
thanx. im gonna try them both. im not going to use oil though. does the styrofoam give off fumes?
-sun

------------------
'if you don't know what it is don't blow it up'

'wat you got against me? is it my girl or is it da bentley?' -puffy

'proffecinal fucker upper'

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 01-23-2001 12:16 AM
i do not know. it has been a while since i have done it so i can't give a 100% accurate answer. i would not THINK it would give off alot of fumes. it is just basiclly melting because the gas is eating away at it. i did not make a habit of breathing the shit in though, because breathing in too much gas makes you get all loop anyhow all i can say is that the styrofoam/gas method makes a really sticky, really flammable substance. i did not try the soap method because i have always read you had to put the soap in the gas and then heat the gas... this sounds crazy to me.
i just looked up napalm on the forum and i found a post on it by NBK2000

Napalm B (currently military issue) is 50% styrene, 25% gasoline, and 25% benzene (although you can use acetone). All percentages by weight.

all you have to do is basiclly do that (it is easy to find acetone) and you have the military grade stuff. this is what i would stick to. the military seams to know what they are doing

------------------
...Æ

[This message has been edited by CragHack (edited January 23, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by CragHack (edited January 23, 2001).]

IronWarlock
Frequent Poster
posted 01-23-2001 01:29 AM
how do you know thats the military mix?

------------------
back and better than ever

MacCleod
Frequent Poster
posted 01-23-2001 01:44 AM
My personal favorite is gasoline/wax.It make's a nice,uniform jel,similiar to warm butter.

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted 01-23-2001 02:26 AM
The polystyrene thickened 'napalm' isnt really suited for molitov's, it doesnt really splatter that much.
Has anyone ever tried dissolving shoe soles? I forget what there made of.

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 01-23-2001 02:39 AM
petrol + oil is nothing like styrofoam + gas..The 1'st one isnt sticky, and wont burn as long. Go for the other one
------------------
Explosives Archive

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 01-23-2001 11:25 AM
it think it is the military mix because i believe NBK2000, i doubt anyone would lie about that. wax and gas is also pretty good. old circus acts used to cover there tents with that to keep out rain. that was the direct cause of a huge fire though. so they stopped using it.
------------------
...Æ

Anthony
posted 01-23-2001 03:10 PM
Petrol/oil is used for molitov cocktails because it still splatters but will "stick" to people.
Speaking of karma, the official announcements says that everyone has a karma rating in their profile, I can't see any!

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 01-23-2001 05:18 PM
neither can i. i do not know if it is going to be fixed or not... will it?
------------------
...Æ

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 05-21-2001 07:19 PM
I was experementing with some napalm mixtures. The first was the original gasoline/styrofoam with the addition of napthanele. Works good if you want to incinerate a wooded area because the napthanele melts and soaks into wood anmd burns for a long time. The wook acts like a wick on a candle. The best one was by far gasoline/acetone in a 50/50 ratio with the addition of kno3/ascorbic acid/sugar powder. Ratios can range for 50/40/10 for 60/20/10. the more ascorbic the fater the burn rate. It is impossible to put out this napalm. If it is blown out, it lights back up again becuase the kno3/sucrose/ascorbic ignites every few seconds. It still maintains its sticky gel type viscosity too. Magnesium is also fun to add but it is too costly.

FadeToBlackened
Frequent Poster
posted 05-21-2001 08:07 PM
Once me and my cousin made some sticky type stuff (it was kinda like mud). Mine was of flour, KClO4, and motor oil. It burned bright, long, and violently. His was flour, motor oil, stump remover, and some really bad paint thinner (i think it had water in it). He kept trying to put it out but couldn't. He tried blowing it out, stepping on it, and spitting on it. Each time it would go out and we would start to walk away and it would catch on fire again (wasn't a fast burn, just a fire)

sealsix6
Frequent Poster
posted 05-21-2001 09:59 PM
What is styrene and where can I get it? What is it used for so I can think up of a reason.

protical sun
posted 05-21-2001 11:13 PM
damn, havent been here for so long(been at paintball city/dojo under the name foxtecca)
styrene(sp) and styrofoam are used for packin boxes, it breaks apart easily into little beads, it also pisses alot of people off when it clings to thing on account of static electricity.

------------------

CodeMason
Frequent Poster
posted 05-22-2001 04:20 AM
This thread is getting a little KeWl, but I'll input anyway...
As well as polystyrene (those white packaging beads, the pack McDonald's hotcakes come in), gasoline, benzene (you could substitute for naphthalene) and acetone, it is wise to add various slow but hot burning fuel/oxidizer mixtures. Adding thermite to napalm would be downright devious! Teflon/Al powder would also work quite well. ALENGOSVIG also suggested a good one, KNO3, sucrose and vitamin C. If you find your fuel/oxidizer mixes have trouble igniting, you can add MnO2 as a catalyst.
The military also often uses amino acid based flame geller. Of course, a very good source of amino acids is egg white! If you're worried about the egg stuff going off and stinking to high hell, don't worry, the gasoline acts as a preservant. Other possible gellers are candle wax and latex.
That soap stuff works, but it kinda sucks, since soap itself is almost completely nonflammable, and will only serve to hinder burning. If you do use soap, you will need to also add alcohol.
Anyway, I'm out!

BoB-
Frequent Poster
posted 05-22-2001 11:42 AM
Very fine charcoal (briguettes are okay) can be needed into the "napalm" to intensify the burn rate, and since charcoal 'sparks', it makes the flame harder to extinguish.

Anthony
posted 05-22-2001 03:20 PM
Packing material is POLYstyrene, styrene is a smelly, toxic liquid. It's a big ingredient in polyester resin.

eNt0n
posted 05-22-2001 05:11 PM
I think (never tried it) that a mixture of acetone/petrol with fat and perhaps styrofoam. When someone stupid will engage this fire with water, the burning fat will explode, and make a lot of fire. If you have a mixture of 100gr fat and the same part water you will get a very big fireball, about >3m. Thats cruel. I'll try it during the next days with a smaller quantity..

sealsix6
Frequent Poster
posted 05-22-2001 05:59 PM
Ok I will admit at times I can be spastic i did not relize that styrene was styrofoam.

CodeMason
Frequent Poster
posted 05-22-2001 07:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by sealsix6:
Ok I will admit at times I can be spastic i did not relize that styrene was styrofoam.

Styrofoam is polymerized styrene. You could get styrene from [styrene]n, probably by just treating it with heat.

protical sun
posted 05-23-2001 12:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Anthony:
Packing material is POLYstyrene, styrene is a smelly, toxic liquid. It's a big ingredient in polyester resin.

well soooory, guess i didnt regognise.

------------------

sealsix6
Frequent Poster
posted 05-23-2001 07:12 PM
I will try to heat up some styraphome with heat and see if it works.

CragHack
Frequent Poster
posted 05-23-2001 09:48 PM
all heating up styrofoam will do is melt it into a little ball of hard styrofoam. if you are looking to make "napalm" with it. just mix it with gas. the gas will eat away at the styrofoam and thus you will produce the thick flamable mixture.
------------------
"If you must, do it with intelligent people, at least they know how to talk to the cops."

Mick
Frequent Poster
posted 05-23-2001 11:52 PM
just mix some polystyrene with acetone (you work out the ratios, if you do this you will soon discover how it is done correctly)
then mix the slop with a little bit of petrol to give it better flames (add some charcol maybe to make it spark)

of course you could just use the acetone/polystyrene slop as the napalm but acetone really doesn't burn for very long

ALENGOSVIG1
posted 05-24-2001 02:35 AM
MnO2 + SP + kno3/Sucrose + magnesium added to 40/50 gasoline/petrol makes a gel like pancake syrup and burns hot.